Stretched Murray cantilever

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: My first Stretch: Murray cantilever > final direction

personally, im with kota. great metalwork like that deserves to brag.

Thanks guys... bare steel it is. This time the decision is final :lol: ... I'll be clearing it tomorrow after I finish some other things. Here are some update pics. The seat isn't brown as it appear to be, that's just my cruddy camera working it's magic again. :x I'm ready to throw it into the nearest lake and forget about it. The handlebar welds are all finish filed, as well as those on my custom seatpost. The seat I also cleaned down to bare steel, even all of the undercarriage is stripped (some parts even had chrome with factory black painted over it- that surprised me). I've got some interesting wheels in line and have made a choice on tires... I may run a chainguard or may not, and I don't think I'll be running grips. With the seat uncovered and all that seems to make more sense visually to me. I liked apes on this, but these bars look and feel much better.

1z1gsoy.jpg

2ufvnz7.jpg

3509a9f.jpg

ou2yk6.jpg

33v17o2.jpg

ozdp1.jpg

9tg9ac.jpg

Thanks for all the compliments and encouragement. I'm really excited to see this one done.

I'm also trying to think of a name for this build and getting nowhere... does anyone have any suggestions?

I would like to see a chainguard on this bike. Add as much bare metal as you can.

For a name, how a bout something to do with Heavy Metal, Metallica, Iron Maiden...you get the idea.

I love the seat.

I have an all metal seat on one of mine. It starts to feel like an all metal seat after a couple miles, but mine has sharper angles. You should be good for long rides. :D

when i see this bike i see a truck, its got a brute look, like a cabover or something. thats what i'm seeing. i guess it just depends on how you finish her. It could also look like a lead sled, either way, heavy, fat, and stout are some words i would use to describe it.

hmm.. i think bikebuilder is onto somethin with the metal bands..

bikebuilder said:
I would like to see a chainguard on this bike. Add as much bare metal as you can.

For a name, how a bout something to do with Heavy Metal, Metallica, Iron Maiden...you get the idea.

I love the seat.

I have an all metal seat on one of mine. It starts to feel like an all metal seat after a couple miles, but mine has sharper angles. You should be good for long rides. :D

Thanks!!! You've got my mind working now... and I really like the idea of it being called heavy metal.

Gaskill > the aim was to have a led sled/classic look... so hopefully it will have that air about it when it is done. :mrgreen: The springer fork and the wheels and tires I have in mind should make it all come together.

My springer arrived today, and I've got it mounted, as well as stripped of the teal paint. Cutting and re-working fender braces on the front fender tonight... soon to be in the gallery. 8) All I need is some more wire brushes, a crash rail for the seat, and some tires.

Thanks guys! Pictures shortly... I thought I wouldn't post anymore 'till the gallery but I guess I will.

pictures!! WOO! :mrgreen:

Re: Stretched Murray cantilever > Name change and update pics

I think I'm gonna call this one the "suicide ride", or maybe even "chrissyg's suicide ride" (chrissy or chrissyg are like my nicknames :lol:)... I have to say, without a doubt, out of the last several bikes I've built or am builidng, I'm most proud of this one. Things are in the "home stretch" for sure as I just need a crashrail for the seat, some tires and some good wire brushes. Oh, and those ugly block pedals simply will not do. 8)

5/14 update and glamor pictures, what do you think?

xd718w.jpg

2rwt4b6.jpg

rct4kg.jpg

2mecsw1.jpg

zy5x6t.jpg

sx0nkz.jpg

2e1hw1t.jpg

-ChrissyG-

I have an awesome change guard in line for this one, too, just trying to catch up with the owner.

That looks awesome!! Cant wait to see the finished product!

BankerRAt said:
Goooood stuff Chris! Cant wait to see it in person. Have you thought of different Handlebars or invering the ones on there?

Thanks. What kind of handlebars did you have in mind? I suppose I could flip the ones on there now, but my gut says I'd really dislike the way it looked. Despite how it might look now, it's actually very comfortable to ride with the handlebars as they are, too... I'll have to try some different things.

i think you need some blackwall fat tires, sweet grips, oh and dont forget to flip that springer! its a stretch after all.. :wink:

Unchained said:
I think I'm gonna call this one the "suicide ride", or maybe even "chrissyg's suicide ride" (chrissy or chrissyg are like my nicknames :lol:)... I have to say, without a doubt, out of the last several bikes I've built or am builidng, I'm most proud of this one. Things are in the "home stretch" for sure as I just need a crashrail for the seat, some tires and some good wire brushes. Oh, and those ugly block pedals simply will not do. 8)

-ChrissyG-

this cruiser is soooooo friggin rad. i want it! i really like those bars. the suicide ride huh?? hahah thats want i was gonna name my bike cuz its breakless but settled on the filthy rat. so it became my username instead. but if nicely fitting for this ride! well done sir

Back