Stretched Murray cantilever

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stretched Murray cantilever > Name change and update pics

dude did this start out as 2 20 inchers? it just looks kinda small with you sitting on it? maybe its just me... but it looks freakin sweet man!!!

Easy E

elvis51 said:
dude did this start out as 2 20 inchers? it just looks kinda small with you sitting on it? maybe its just me... but it looks freakin sweet man!!!

Easy E

Hey,

You know, I noticed that too, how small it looks. I will tell you, that's just some kind of illusion, it's deceiving because the bike is like 6 and a half feet long, and the frames were 26 inch frames. (And it's not like I'm gigantic or anything... :lol: ) thanks for the compliment

Bike looks awesome Chris, can't wait to see it in person this week when I bring your much awaited chainguard to you, Rick

Thank you, I will definitely be around to show you (and Glenn if he makes it) the bike if you would like to see. Can't wait for that guard, it's pretty much the last piece.

I keep going back on my word about not updating this thread until the gallery. :lol: I've been so excited lately to finish this one up right, and have had new inspiration and motivation to work on it. So I got a whole bunch of little stuff done this afternoon that was just picking away at me. I re-worked the rear fender braces (made specifically to fit the huge, flat Colson signature dropouts) to mount to the axle, and that went really well, for the most part anyway. Both the front and rear fenders fit really well now... neither would fit without modification, which kind of stinks, but it is what it is. I don't ever plan on parting this bike, so I don't really care too much. I will soon have a very appropriate chainguard to fit to this build, which I am eagerly awaiting. I extended the handlebars three more inches :wink: (and they sure fit nice)... All the hard work is over. With the exception of some very small fender brace welds, all filing is done. I've been putting off cleaning the rusty rims and underside of the springer... that needs to be done desperately. Once the rims and springer's underside have been cleared of rust, this thing just needs some tires, grips and pedals and it will be DONE.

I don't know where to go with the tires... I'm not really a fan of many of the new tires available, and I have a real soft spot for Carlisle lightning darts... I imagine those are what I'll use afterall... I'm really leaning towards that. I just don't know whether blackwalls or whitewalls would look better. If I go with grips, they will be original black torpedo's/pointed ends and I am stuck between two choices for pedals. With the pedals, I'm either going to take the blocks out of a set and leave them bare like that, or use original Torrington 10's (I really like those) or maybe some of those awesome Magna tear drop pedals. Pictures soon to follow... hopefully tomorrow afternoon I'll have the fender braces all cleaned up...

The only thing still troubling me about tires I think is whether lightning darts will fill out the fenders nicely. These fenders are really wide (like Monark deep crescent size, maybe even bigger :shock: they really are wider and deeper than they might look) and deserve some real wide, yet period, tires to make them pop.

stretch said:
i think you need some blackwall fat tires, sweet grips, oh and dont forget to flip that springer! its a stretch after all.. :wink:

I really wanted to flip that springer, but I don't think it will work with my fender braces, especially as they are mounted now (it will make sense in the update pics)...

thesuicideride said:
this cruiser is soooooo friggin rad. i want it! i really like those bars. the suicide ride huh?? hahah thats want i was gonna name my bike cuz its breakless but settled on the filthy rat. so it became my username instead. but if nicely fitting for this ride! well done sir

Thank you! I think that will be the name for sure.

i thoguht of that after i posted.. well modify the fenders to work! :) just kiddin.

I could do that, only they really are flawless original pieces, and I don't want to mess with them too much. I shouldn't have messed with them at all, ideally. Plus, the bike has a REALLY comfortable stance and position as it is now, and I don't want to lose that... I can't believe how well I fit this bike.

dont ya love that? you build a bike without taking measurements and it magically fits you perfectlly. :mrgreen:

stretch said:
dont ya love that? you build a bike without taking measurements and it magically fits you perfectlly. :mrgreen:

You know it! It's nice when things just work out. I didn't take the tape out once, really during the whole build... the only time I used it was on the fender braces...

Thanks to KZ1000 for dropping off my chaingaurd yesterday- it will be completely modified to fit the bike within several hours...

Re: Stretched Murray cantilever > 6/27 Update Pictures

Well, I have a day off today and am making some progress on the stretch... it's almost there... the sweetest part of working today was realizing that the extra, full sized WW's I have already do indeed clear my fork and frame. I was really happy to see that.... I now know for sure which tires and wheels I am running. I need to clean my grips off, as well as the whitewalls, and then there is the rust on the wheels, but this project is finishing up rather quickly. I cut and custom fit the chainguard this morning, and am very happy about how it came out, though it may not stay. I still need a crashrail for the seat, as well as some inner tubes and more appropriate pedals...

11hdjbp.jpg

2wce73b.jpg

svo315.jpg

29v1ca8.jpg

35n6b6e.jpg

vwwol0.jpg

2vds614.jpg

b71kk2.jpg

qrn3vl.jpg

2cetf7s.jpg

whites fill it out better. blackwalls juset look kinda bare.

Thanks guys... yeah, the thin blacks just weren't cutting it... I'm going to re-work the guard too, because this one just isn't doing it for me either.

JoeyMac said:
that is Uber Sweet!

Thank you! :D It shoudl look much nicer once I refigure the chainguard...

Wow Chris... that thing is sweet! Are you gonna keep the frame bare? Im thinking this could go either way. Either a flat flat gray primer or the exact opposit... a deep candy apple red!!! Nice job

Thanks 8)

I was hoping to get some opinions on the chainguard... what do you guys think about the chainguard? Sometimes I think it really fits the bike well, and then sometimes I look at it and just don't think that it goes at all. My original inspiration for this bike was the first series Dyno stretches, which have a similar guard... I just don't know what to do about the guard. It looks kind of like one of those form a Dyno or a KK, but just doesn't seem to fit this bike the way they do on a Dyno or KK Roadster. I think someone on the forums owns this bike... something about the guard on this one just "fits" to me better than mine does.

dmcpw3.jpg

Back