The Morgal Flyer! Aka DrHax's Steampunk Firestone Motorbike ( Front welded up.)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a quick documentation for those who are looking to make a throttle for their motorbikes. Seriously this is asburdly easily.

First off you're going to need a stuffed lobster and a copy of Audels welders guide (the 1939 edition,) and of course a shimano 333 shifter!
View attachment 23504
Remove the two screws!
View attachment 23503
Remove cover with extreme, yet delicate vigour.
View attachment 23502
Remove shifter from mechanism like so
View attachment 23507
And there's a ball bearing right there. Have that roll away onto the floor, I mean purposely and carefully extract it
View attachment 23506
Reassemble, making sure the shifter can rotate ( can only go one way.) And tadaah! you have a shifter via removing 1 ball bearing.

Also if you want to have more throttle travel grind away this bit here since that is the side that limits travel. The groved side DO NOT mess with since that where is your cable goes!
View attachment 23505
And then eat the lobster to celebrate?

Luke.

Figured out a name for it. "The Morgal Flyer" The name comes from a country in the steampunk lore I write stories in. Morgal is a country which became an industrial giant and was legendary before it got wiped out. A relic from a past from a land build with pride, honour, and that tinge of lunatic insanity.

Also my Shimano 333 hub arrived HOORAY! :113:

I did a total maniac impulse buy tonight with a set of fenders and fender skirts for my bike.
23672_fb03f9bd765d26744fde489792ea01e2 (1).jpg
While considering what just happened. Literally jumped on these things after looking at the elgin fender skirts and going eeeh that design doesn't fit my bike but I really do like the concept. Saw these. I sent a message RIGHT Before somebody else and I had my paypal fired up and ready to go. I got an adrenaline rush from how fast and show my nerves are.

After my heart stopped pounding and my hands stopped shaking, I realized what I just purchased. This changes my original concept and makes my focus more victorian then before. I need to find a chain case now.

Also I know these things will be nice to have on my bike since I like to wear long coats and dress pants. I've had the firestone SNAG my soviet overcoat causing me to scream in terror before. So these will be a much appreciated thing. Also LOOK AT THEM. They look like freaking trusses on a bridge!

I sent a LukeTheJoker a message about seeing if I can get my build entered into the build off. I still haven't really worked on it yet. I am acquiring parts now and ironing out the design.

I have a name, a motor, a beat up bike, oh yes and a dream of going 60mph.

Today was a good day. I visited the guy who we bought the bike from. Told him my plans so he gave me a rusty model T carriage lamp headlight for free. We also bought a vintage bicycle baby seat from him, a pair of antique roller skates and I found an air compressor for five bucks! Today's been awesome as well as me getting paid! Tomorrow I'll visit him and pick up a parts bike. I'll see about taking pictures to see if any of you guys want a bike or two or even parts from one. Most of his stuff is 60s and above. But he has a red bike that has a frame similar to the Firestone. I see a decent way to extend my frame with that bike. I'll see if he'll take twenty for it.

I sent a LukeTheJoker a message about seeing if I can get my build entered into the build off. I still haven't really worked on it yet. I am acquiring parts now and ironing out the design.
Sorry, was offline for a day or two!
Moving now, looking good by the way! :thumbsup:
Just make sure human propulsion remains on board and finish before the deadline and you will do great!

Luke.

Welcome to BO11
Nice parts collecting and brainstorming on this one.

I was looking at a set of inverted levers from Origin8 but they do not fit inside all bars, I think road or tt bars that they are designed for are a larger inside diameter. I tried them with several cruiser bars at a shop and they would not fit in any of them

I too have been looking at Elgin skirtgaurds. Way out of the budget range. Actual what you found are more unique and will stand out a lot further. Nice find

I have a pair of ITM inverted levers that fit a Nitto Albatross (mountain bar diameter).

Awesome!!! I am in the build off now! So I'll post a mock up of my frame extension idea!!
image.jpeg

The Briggs motor has a flat base so no need to have a drop in the frame.... I think I'll see during the mock up.

I picked up a more modern Murray today to use for parts. It already donated it's wheels to my fiancée's spaceliner and its seat to the Monark.

The skirts have that industrial look where as the handlebar levers will fit standard 7/8 bars. Which is what I got with the Firestone!

The Morgal Flyer is a build of practicality. Or I'm trying for that. My speedometer arrived today!

Hooray!!!!

Decided to clean up the motor and peer into the shroud. I got a Chinese motorized bicycle carb with throttle cable and intake coming in for 13 dollars it's worth the risk.

So I removed the shroud and was greeted by this!!!
image.jpeg

DEAR GODS THAT'S A MASSIVE SPIDER!!!!:eek:

NOPE!!!

So I panicked took a screwdriver and took the shroud to my window and it jumped away from the screw driver blade as I shoved all of those eggs and such outside.

If there's an invasion of some new poisonous North Carolina spider in Minnesota because of me I'm sorry!

Better than a centipede, I guess—when you smack those things, the legs seem to keep on running! (Though they eat everything—including spiders—don't make annoying webs, are territorial, which precludes infestation, and infrequently reproduce in small numbers compared to most bugs, something about them triggers my "AHWHERETHEHELLISASHOEORSOMETHING?!—must kill!")

this should be interesting :nerd: nice plan!

7/8 bar end brake levers ? :wink1:
https://www.velogear.com.au/media/catalog/product/t/e/tektro_bullhorn_levers.jpg
I got a sent of Indian brass ones coming in meant for Royal enfields should be fun!
The spider freaked me out because it was massive and unknown. There's nothing really poisonous in MN except for some of the people's attitudes.

Also a gumball size of eggs. I am not joking. This thing was massive. I've only seen bigger spiders when I was in Australia, and even then those didn't freak me out.

Massive spider? :21:
Come visit Australia some time... ;)

Luke.
Been there the huntsmen in the hotel rooms didn't scare me, but this thing was unknown to me.

Also MN our winters kill a lot of things. Your aussy winters are a beautiful thing to me. I didn't want to leave Australia. I love it there.. Also... If you go to a foreign country don't eat crap you can't get over here. I've been craving kangaroo since 2011. Hoppy buggers are tasty..

Back