The Morgal Flyer! Aka DrHax's Steampunk Firestone Motorbike ( Front welded up.)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had aborigine cooked tail on my trip. Skinned wrapped in foil and lobbed into a fire. Most of the other student ambassadors from the states were only having one plate. I was coming back for fifths they had to cut me off encase people wanted seconds..:headbang:

They didn't of course. Heck on quantas. I was the only American who took tea when offered. :crazy: I felt more at home in Australia then I did here. Go figure!

I wasn't able to get anything done on the build today. I painted the wheels of my mum's vw bug for her as a mothers day gift. My fiancée had a crate fall on her at work (pulled or strained something in her lower back) so I was trying my best at taking care of her... Sigh today was a rougher day.:(

At least tomorrow I get to go to work and weld up stuff! Yes.. I love my job:rofl: How rare is that? I'll have some time in the morning to figure out stuff. I'll be measuring out the motor to see what dimensions it needs.

Sorry my build thread has no real progress. Half of my bike is in the mail still!!!o_O

That reminds me, I forgot to give you a tracking number. I'll PM you.
Cool deal on painting moms wheels for mothers day, that's thinking outside the box.
Hope your lady is ok, that sucks.

Enthusiasm! I like that better then what most people say I have.:crazy:

I think she's fine. if she doesnt' feel better we're going to go to her workplace and see about getting a doctor involved. It was a 50 pound crate landing on her,:comando: (she was able to quickly push it back up but it twisted something.:confused:)
She'll get through it. I believe in her.:nod:

Oh yes, looking at the other builds are just giving me more inspiration. It sucks I wasn't able to do anything today.I am so tempted to wake up early tomorrow and see what I can do before I go see my fiancee, and then head off to work. That's the good thing about working from 2:30 to 11:00 you have some daylight to burn. Next weekend you will see quite a bit of action. I billy mays guarantee it! if not I will refund you 100% of the 0 us dollars you invested in this.(If you have more then 0 us dollars invested in my build thread you're betting on the wrong race horse!:eek:)

Nice to know my tax return is helping somebody else! :rockout:

Seriously I can't wait to see the reaction of my parents when Falstaff's box gets dropped off. Oh yes.. I haven't disclosed my electrical system idea for the build. The briggs motor runs off its own solid ignition coil. Good news NO POINTS! :dance2:
However not 100% sure how to turn off this engine. Thats why the chinese carb I am getting should have a choke cable. I think I may have to strangle out the air of the engine or figure out how to wire a kill switch... or lever.. Hmmm mechanical kill switch...:43:

ERM I got sidetracked!:13:

In order to run my lights I plan on doing a 12volt DC system. But DrHax you magnificent rambling imbecile how on this glorious earth do you plan on achieving such a thing! Are you going to be completely mad an throw a battery onto your bike?:eek:

No! I'd reply with both my hands on my waist if i could get them out of the straight jacket. I'm going to be using THIS!!!
IMG_0085.JPG
WHAT IS THAT!? And should I be afraid of the lobster wielding it? You may ask as you spit out your tea (Or preferred local non alcoholic refreshment of your choosing!) at your monitor!
IMG_0082.JPG IMG_0083.JPG IMG_0081.JPG

That my friends! is a telephone magneto! Specifically a Western Electric from 1894! (And Larry hasn't yet figured out how to use it for world domination so there's nothing to fear!:113: Especially as I tear it from his fearful grasps and use it for my project!:crazy: So don't fear the lobster FEAR ME!:crazy2:)
IMG_0084.JPG

While all of you guys have cool bike parts oozing from your rafters I have things like these!:dance2:
For those who don't know what this came from here you go!:crazy:
$_1.JPG
$_1 (1).JPG

The second image shows what I got mine from. I used the box to make a steampunk computer for a 1920's typewriter I installed a usb typewriter kit on it in order to demonstrate steampunk to masses in my highschool as a senior project.(yes I wore a tophat and suit with antique spectacles... I made the school paper with that one, and I got an A!:113:)

But atlas I got sidetracked again:headbang:

So how on earth will this magneto accomplish your goals you fool! Well the magneto... mine especially (after doing research) an output enough power to LIGHT A LIGHTBULB! Yes it can zap you, shock you and outputs between 30-100 volts! Why so much voltage? because back then you needed to jump start your connection to make out a call to a switchboard and they would direct you to your call! (Manually of course!) These magnetos sell for 240 bucks apparently. i got mine for 3 dollars on a ebay auction.. the shipping was 26.99 :rofl:

So here's my goal! Using my spare vw parts to the rescue! That's right I have in my collection of parts a 12 volt regulator for a vw's electrical system. But the magneto outputs AC? Or so the internet says. I'll have to make a rectifier before using the regulator! How about something involving vacuum tubes!?:113:

So where the handle is on the magneto I will attach a sprocket and use that in the drive chain connecting to the shimano 333 hub! (or attach it directly to the motor depending on the clutch system I come up with!) This means the motor will turn the magneto generating power. If it turns out it is AC power I should be able to make a rectifier circuit using a halfwave rectifier tube used in most tube radios! Just need to figure out the pin layout and i'll be golden!

if I do not have time I could always keep the system AC and just use a small house lightbulb as a light!:21:

Last edited:
Oh yes.. I haven't disclosed my electrical system idea for the build. The briggs motor runs off its own solid ignition coil. Good news NO POINTS! :dance2:
However not 100% sure how to turn off this engine. Thats why the chinese carb I am getting should have a choke cable. I think I may have to strangle out the air of the engine or figure out how to wire a kill switch... or lever.. Hmmm mechanical kill switch...:43:

ERM I got sidetracked!:13:

In order to run my lights I plan on doing a 12volt DC system. But DrHax you magnificent rambling imbecile how on this glorious earth do you plan on achieving such a thing! Are you going to be completely mad an throw a battery onto your bike?:eek:

No! I'd reply with both my hands on my waist if i could get them out of the straight jacket. I'm going to be using THIS!!!
View attachment 23797
WHAT IS THAT!? And should I be afraid of the lobster wielding it? You may ask as you spit out your tea (Or preferred local non alcoholic refreshment of your choosing!) at your monitor!
View attachment 23794 View attachment 23795 View attachment 23798

That my friends! is a telephone magneto! Specifically a Western Electric from 1894! (And Larry hasn't yet figured out how to use it for world domination so there's nothing to fear!:113: Especially as I tear it from his fearful grasps and use it for my project!:crazy: So don't fear the lobster FEAR ME!:crazy2:)
View attachment 23796

While all of you guys have cool bike parts oozing from your rafters I have things like these!:dance2:
For those who don't know what this came from here you go!:crazy:
View attachment 23800 View attachment 23799
The second image shows what I got mine from. I used the box to make a steampunk computer for a 1920's typewriter I installed a usb typewriter kit on it in order to demonstrate steampunk to masses in my highschool as a senior project.(yes I wore a tophat and suit with antique spectacles... I made the school paper with that one, and I got an A!:113:)

But atlas I got sidetracked again:headbang:

So how on earth will this magneto accomplish your goals you fool! Well the magneto... mine especially (after doing research) an output enough power to LIGHT A LIGHTBULB! Yes it can zap you, shock you and outputs between 30-100 volts! Why so much voltage? because back then you needed to jump start your connection to make out a call to a switchboard and they would direct you to your call! (Manually of course!) These magnetos sell for 240 bucks apparently. i got mine for 3 dollars on a ebay auction.. the shipping was 26.99 :rofl:

So here's my goal! Using my spare vw parts to the rescue! That's right I have in my collection of parts a 12 volt regulator for a vw's electrical system. But the magneto outputs AC? Or so the internet says. I'll have to make a rectifier before using the regulator! How about something involving vacuum tubes!?:113:

So where the handle is on the magneto I will attach a sprocket and use that in the drive chain connecting to the shimano 333 hub! (or attach it directly to the motor depending on the clutch system I come up with!) This means the motor will turn the magneto generating power. If it turns out it is AC power I should be able to make a rectifier circuit using a halfwave rectifier tube used in most tube radios! Just need to figure out the pin layout and i'll be golden!

if I do not have time I could always keep the system AC and just use a house a small house lightbulb as a light!:21:
Ah... I understood maybe half of that... :eek: That is beyond my realms of understanding!

Simply awesome DrHax! Really looking forward to seeing this thing! :praise:

Luke.

I have the brain of a maniac. I used to talk to engineers and such and grasp concepts not taught to me, and keep up in conversations with people who I should NOT have been able to.(My best friend in highschool took physics and other higher classes and we were able to discuss things fluently just by explaining simple concepts. And by simple I mean string theory and higgs boson particles.) If was born in 1800's I probably would have been inventing things, or most likely becoming tesla's intern.

This motorbike is everything I have always wanted to do. So this site giving me the access to the information and tools to build it is amazing.:forum:

I collect old world knowledge and books when ever I can. I have steady collection of books pre ww2 talking about welding, electrical wiring, sheet metal fabrication. I am I will be honest a steampunk "purist" if such a thing can exist.(steampunk to me means so much more then just slapping on some gears and calling it good. I've talked with old school members and they're impressed that I get a what it is at its purest form)

Most of my ideas and thoughts are simple sparks or impulses that spiral out of control yet always seem to work. This whole build will be a testament to that.

My only fears with using a magneto with an engine is that fact it's voltage may get to utter insanity. (because from what I assume how many rotations it spins is what limits voltage!) So if I test it out with light and the lightbulb explodes I know I need to limit it.:wink1:

When I say this is a different build then most I mean it. My ideas and plans are a bit of the absurd side. So we'll see how well this works out.:113:

Goods news! Much to my surprise the Briggs and Stratton website actually had the manual for my engine available for download for free!:dance2:

They even give you a list of people to go to for antique engine parts! :eek: I think I really like the Briggs and Stratton company now.:rockout:

Here's a link if any of you lot have an old briggs engine knocking about!
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/n...specifications.html#FindAntiquePartsSuppliers

So many questions can be answered if you have a manual.. and apparently you stop this engine by choking it... literally.:eek: You close the choke until it stops running. Also how you drain the oil is there's a second plug under the screw plug where you put oil into it. Apparently these old engines recommend SAE 20... I have no Idea how 1930's SAE 20 and compared to 2016 SAE 20. People have had good luck running 10W30 in these engines.:39:

Okay...allow me to provide you a bit 'o learnin' here. You don't "choke" that engine to death. See that bendy little strip of sheet metal hovering next to the spark plug? Well...that's the "off" switch. Depress that until it touches the tip of the spark plug and current will go straight to ground (rather than jump the pesky spark gap). Don't release it until the crank stops spinning or the engine will just fire up again.

Then the engines manual lied to me! Thanks for the information! So that means then I could wire up a switch there.:crazy:

Because of the high voltages involved, that might not be such a good idea. I imagine that spark could easily jump across the contacts of many switches.

That said, it's a cute engine, but maybe one not so suited for a motorbike. As a stationary washing machine engine, it was intended to run at a constant speed. You may not find the throttle to be very responsive. I really like the idea...so I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Because of the high voltages involved, that might not be such a good idea. I imagine that spark could easily jump across the contacts of many switches.

That said, it's a cute engine, but maybe one not so suited for a motorbike. As a stationary washing machine engine, it was intended to run at a constant speed. You may not find the throttle to be very responsive. I really like the idea...so I'm hoping I'm wrong.
Most Briggs are designed to be ran at a constant rpm. The original suction carb will not be used.

I have a Chinese carb with a throttle cable coming in and it's intake which I will modify to fit the engine.

People in the past have used these motors to motorize bicycles. Once in awhile you one made in the 1940's pop up.

Farm kids used to use these style of motors all the time. Any motor can be modified to work well. However, they used the prexisting carbs with the governors removed. Since the governor on this engine is a simple air vane inside the shroud connected to the carburetor.

I know I can, with a little ingenuity, get it to work. Especially considering unlike most builds I have a transmission in the works!

You're going for the steampunk look, right? I'm betting that an old-fashioned knife switch would accomplish the job handily.

switch-rotary-dpdt.jpg

Back