The Morgal Flyer! Aka DrHax's Steampunk Firestone Motorbike ( Front welded up.)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at the mountain bike, and thinking about how I need a sprocket for the magneto I think I can simply just remove one of the derailleur's sprockets and tack weld that onto a nut which has the same threading as the magneto tighten it on and then use it as a tensioner for the engine's drive chain..
Still need to figure out a clutch system.

I have a few ideas. I'll need to flush them out.

Found some images of inspiration!:)
1bac624dce35000fd68f4a8cb77e8f52.jpg 6e31901d4994d1992c4a781f37dc16e6.jpg 8dd6b7e5873ad4f7880c160228695c44.jpg ec569e3dcd2df9d6e005f8a53e9eddfe.jpg

Going to go measure out the pedal blocks of the firestone tomorrow. The rubber was missing when I got the bike and I have an idea for something I could do that would be slightly different.

Sucks it was doing nothing but raining all day. Why is it so that when ever I am forced to work on another person's project the weather is fair or mildly perfect, but yet the moment I have an opportune time to work on mine it is always raining,snowing, sleeting, severe storm warning, tornadoes, rabid weasel attacks, and ufo invasions.
FreakinSmiley.gif

I think something doesn't want me working on my projects in this universe.
dry.gif

I am grinding to cut and itching to grind here!
sawzall.gif
welderface.gif

Watching all of you lot make progress is making me go stir crazy! And I am already crazy as is! :eek:

Well not being able to work.. reading all of the build threads and being hopped on the rush of plasma cutting for all of the day. (There's a pile of 240 threaded ends of former oil refinery pipes that proves why my left hand is stiff.:whew: Hard work today.. arms feel like lead.) Has left me pondering my build as well as gaining inspiration from others!

So, while I was browsing the build off threads, I have noticed it has been a trend to show of the tank you have purchased for this build off.:39:
So here's mine!:113:

a818e75da98c9491639d5cbef6fbe770.jpg b36dcab766d8d77cb1e585110ad46aa1 (1).jpg

I one up everybody! MINE'S actually functional!:crazy:

Thought I'd join in the tank sharing fun!:rofl: Keep up the good work everybody!:rockout:

Also apparently it came with pretzels.. so falstaff left me a snack!
471a083491e00ef4b4a7d135e940db4f.jpg
:grin:

I think my tank will need to be modified. Let's just hope I don't blow myself up while working on it. Last thing I need is my tombstone to say.

"He died how he lived, with a spark of insanity...and fire.. Mostly fire, oh dear gods the fire!"

Last edited:
Well not being able to work.. reading all of the build threads and being hopped on the rush of plasma cutting for all of the day. (There's a pile of 240 threaded ends of former oil refinery pipes that proves why my left hand is stiff.:whew: Hard work today.. arms feel like lead.) Has left me pondering my build as well as gaining inspiration from others!

So, while I was browsing the build off threads, I have noticed it has been a trend to show of the tank you have purchased for this build off.:39:
So here's mine!:113:

View attachment 23991 View attachment 23992

I one up everybody! MINE'S actually functional!:crazy:

Thought I'd join in the tank sharing fun!:rofl: Keep up the good work everybody!:rockout:

Also apparently it came with pretzels.. so falstaff left me a snack!
View attachment 23993
:grin:

I think my tank will need to be modified. Let's just hope I don't blow myself up while working on it. Last thing I need is my tombstone to say.

"He died how he lived, with a spark of insanity...and fire.. Mostly fire, oh dear gods the fire!"
:21:
I flushed the tank with a bottle of dawn and the garden hose, then used the grill lighter to make sure it wouldn't ignite. Plus it sat around without a cap for probably two years.

I will say take all precautions when cutting and welding. Please don't blow yourself up, I'd feel terrible.

I feel a tank that size wouldn't kill me. My grandfather was oxy welding a LTD gastank and it exploded actually moving the house over a tiny bit. He just looked like a cartoon skit with his face all darkened. My mother and grandmother were afraid to open up that door after hearing the KA-BOOM and feeling the whole house shake!

I'm looking forward to getting the box of parts. I am contemplating installing one of those chopper fuel gauges which is just a piece of of clear fuel line on the outside of tank. I do like the brass peep sights they have, but I do not see how that would help me determine if there's fuel or not.

I wonder if I were to acquire a brass hit and miss oiler could it be modified to work the same as those plastic fuel line.. as well as looking more vintage.

Your magneto has step up gearing on it, so you'll need even more reduction to slow it down. You probably wont need many rpm for 12v, just be careful, turned fast enough some of those old ones can put out 100v or so.

Your magneto has step up gearing on it, so you'll need even more reduction to slow it down. You probably wont need many rpm for 12v, just be careful, turned fast enough some of those old ones can put out 100v or so.
That's why I'm thinking about just using one of those 120ac to 6a 12v DC converters you see on eBay. I have an old house outlet I can wire into the side of a panel which will hide everything. Would also be fun at car shows.

The five bar western magnetos will easily light up light bulbs so it will produce household voltages.

Sucks it was doing nothing but raining all day. Why is it so that when ever I am forced to work on another person's project the weather is fair or mildly perfect, but yet the moment I have an opportune time to work on mine it is always raining,snowing, sleeting, severe storm warning, tornadoes, rabid weasel attacks, and ufo invasions.
FreakinSmiley.gif

I think something doesn't want me working on my projects in this universe.
dry.gif

I am grinding to cut and itching to grind here!
sawzall.gif
welderface.gif

Watching all of you lot make progress is making me go stir crazy! And I am already crazy as is! :eek:
At least it's not a long trip, right DrHax? :bigsmile: Just kidding! And remember, we live in Minnesota...the land of 10,000 weather systems....

At least it's not a long trip, right DrHax? :bigsmile: Just kidding! And remember, we live in Minnesota...the land of 10,000 weather systems....
Yeah no doubt. MN is bipolar as well as sometimes polar! (as in ice caps.)

I wish i could sneak my bike into work. I'd be able to get done real quick. Granted I'd probably need to tune down the welders 49 volts with 450 wire speed is probably too much for bicycle tubing.:crazy:

A box arrived today addressed to DrHax!

Flastaff's goody package has arrived! Oh boy! Oh boy! SLICE AND DICE!!!!

After pulling out an octopus of cables which contained a speedo (which I am sadly not going to be using! since I got a vintage one.) I found my gas tank! But the good news is the old speedo with the cable attached it it is the same size the vintage one uses! HOORAY!
IMG_0094.JPG

However the original drive hub is seized up. I tried moving the cable when it was attached to the speedo and I could freely turn it.
Anybody know how to unfreeze a huret drive gear? I read somewhere that you could remove the grease fitting and squirt liquid wrench in there and man handle it until it moves again... What do you guys think.

Oh yes I forgot to mention my headlight came in! What do you guys think? :thumbsup:

Tomorrow (IF ITS NOT RAINING) I will attempt to see about mocking up the tank and maybe even CUTTING INTO THIS BLOODY BIKE!:mad:

Sorry bout that this crappy weather is getting to me! :confused:

Is the drive wheel I sent you the one that's seized, or the one you had?

The one I have.. The one you sent is free I think. It spins the one I got with the huret one is solid as a rock. I think I can get it unstuck. People on a schwinn forum had luck with it.

After getting the tank I realize perhaps the moped tank with its prexisting fuel outlet won't work.. These tanks were meant to be mounted at a 45 degree angle.. Well I'm mounting it flat. So I may need to weld it up a bit. Install some threaded bungs to make some new fuel outlets. That's okay though.

Now before I go all butcher pete on this bike (hacking and whacking and slashing) I need a good way to put it back together again. I do have a fluxcore "mig" welder, but honestly I don't think that will cut it. I may end up heliarcing this thing up with the old system I purchased from a harley guy who was repairing choppers with this set up since 1973.. Guess it's fitting it'd come to that huh? I just hope I have gas.

I'm gonna be waking up early and seeing what I got. If not then it's the flux core "mig" welder to produce some ugly welds.

Back