WINTER COMMUTING.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: It's COLD!!!!!!

Man its hot here today. I had to hit the air conditioner to work in my shop. I looked up and down the street
and there was no sign of any snow.....go figure!

Funny, Uncle Stretch!
I've seen some crazy stuff but never a bike plow, Awesome!

I feel fortunate that Mpls plows all the bike paths within 24 hours
Met up with the mid-sixties woman plowing the path one night with a city pickup truck with a plow
She was very polite, moved over for me, smiled, and waved. I waved back :D

Looking forward to riding the next few days because it will finally be above 0F wind chill, yeah!

Finally got a chance to do some snow rollin. Got about 4miles in around the neighborhood, so outa shape that was enough for now. Not a ton of snow but snow none the less.

Snowbike.jpg

Cool video!. I don't remember what the wind chill was last Friday, the temps were down to 7 degrees, or so. It was snowing and the streets were sluch and icy in spots. Work is just under a mile away, but it was still a good ride.

Shaggy

60 degrees ???? And an inch of rain! Crazy weather.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
Neat. I was surprised at how fast you appear to be going in the snow.
The wide lens mode makes it seem faster, I think.. I need to try it with a normal lens mode.

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk 2

aka_locojoe said:
Interesting. I like hearing all the noises the bike makes. Thought you were going to rear end that big truck/suv.
On the way home, I actually reached out and touched a truck because he passed to close. :mad:

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk 2

XC204 said:
60 degrees ???? And an inch of rain! Crazy weather.

Yep carzy weather,
I ride home in the downpour... Got a little wet.
E13C7260-6EE1-40E6-ABEF-F11992F28765-21961-000012A2F23CA3F5.jpg

Had fun splashing in the puddles.
Going to be 12 degrees by Thursday AM :shock:

Awesonme video! It feels like when I'm riding
cman said:
ifitsfreeitsforme said:
Neat. I was surprised at how fast you appear to be going in the snow.
The wide lens mode makes it seem faster, I think.. I need to try it with a normal lens mode.
Seemed that way to me too, I'll be waiting for the normal lens

Skipton, I was wondering how your ride went when I saw your weather, not the best I see...

arpicker said:
Is it better to have wide tires in the snow or like normal tires. I mean like 2.125 vs. Fat tires

I suspect that depends on specifically what you're doing and what conditions you face. Like with car tires, there are all sorts of bike winter tires for a reason. Fat bikes are great for floatation. If you trail ride in the winter and have to deal with deeper snow, then that's what you want. If you're commuting on city streets that may be covered in slush, overplow snow and ice, then a narrower tire cuts through that better. Studded tires that can evacuate the tread area efficiently are a bonus, especially if dealing with packed snow, icy spots and slush. OTOH, if you're riding on an ice rink, a wider tire is favorable because more surface area = more friction, which in turn = more traction. Studs help here too. I ride on 1.75" wide studded tires. They're great around town and on paths that are plowed, packed, or have minimal snow accumulation. They absolutely suck in deeper snow.

Got some snow this weekend and its beautiful out! Sorry about the blue tint, camera phone.

imag0619e.jpg

imag0620t.jpg

imag0621x.jpg

Got some "Eyecicles" today!........Sorry about the nose hair I can photoshop it if need be. :lol:
imag0622q.jpg

Latest posts

Back