(MBBO#04 Class 2) PEDRO. (PEDRO GOT A NEW OWNER!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dig , the two rims welded together.:cool2:
I remember, the video: without welding.:whew:
:41:
Actually, one rim split down the centre this time and a filler piece welded in, I only had one steel 16" and wanted to try it anyway...

Luke.

Will it mount?

20967763158_4ed975c4d9_z.jpg

Yes it will!

21163473421_393a9df18a_z.jpg

Glad I didn't make the rim any wider though, the beads only just tuck in as it is and I have to be careful it is perfectly centred when inflating, but it does work!

Total width 73mm or just under 3":

20533003154_abfd84458f_z.jpg

You know what happens next right?

Got to try it next to the rear to see how it will look!

20533002994_63596c67d8_z.jpg

Looks great! Exactly the size difference I was hoping for and the double width front ties nicely to the oversize rear... Very happy!

Luke.

Sidebar...
We should do a car tire buildoff sometime...

Carl.

I'm digging the wheels btw...
You know I would be down for that! (Depending on time of year, health and other considerations, please speak to your doctor if symptoms persist.)

Luke.

You what I find funny? That front rim is WIIIIIDE for a 16, but it looks 'normal' sitting beside that rear! Wooooo, I love it!

With the rim so strong, who needs spokes? It may be time for 'LTJ Mag' up front!

Cheers mate,
Dr. T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Today's progress was all about the front wheel and hand bending some 7/8"-22mm tube for frame canti bars...

So, from this:

21124220652_e58ddb9af0_z.jpg

I built this:

21163473371_fc5009cbcc_z.jpg

21163473511_2e94ee2a09_z.jpg

It's not perfect, but with some primer and paint on there, it will be!

The bent tube for the canti bars was just done by standing on it and slowly pulling it around, actually was really easy and came out nice, suits the curves on my build board perfectly:

21163473391_6c5aff8544_z.jpg

No, I am not showing you my build board at this time, gotta try keep some secrets! :bandit:

Not sure yet how I will lace the front wheel, it came out nice and straight and still round, so the lace pattern will not be required to "true" the rim itself, so I should be able to get away with the cross lace set up if I decide to go that way... The rim itself is now really strong too, so I am confident that side of things will all work!

Now to tape it up inside and test a tire on it before I go any further, still not sure if a tiny 16x2" tire will stretch far enough to seat properly before deforming at the beads... :doh:

Luke.
That's AWESOME!!!

Wow Luke this is radical! You have to win the prize for most stagger on the wheels.
:dance2:
Cool idea for a prize for future build-offs there!
You what I find funny? That front rim is WIIIIIDE for a 16, but it looks 'normal' sitting beside that rear! Wooooo, I love it!

Dr. T
You got it exactly Dr T! I was working hard to get the ratios to look "normal" even though the sizes are anything but normal... It was originally going to have a skinny 20x1.95 Revenge "Pinner" on the front, but once I got the tire and mounted it up it just looked wrong! So then I tried messing around with double wide 20's and it still looked wrong, so Then came the idea of the double wide 16... (I nearly tried dropping to a 12.5", but that would have been too small...)
With the rim so strong, who needs spokes? It may be time for 'LTJ Mag' up front!

Cheers mate,
Dr. T
That is a good idea... I have been trying to decide how to do the rear, but matching up the front would be cool too... Definitely deserves more thought!
3 pages in and no hint of a bike yet!! I am so subscribed!:praise:
:21: I hadn't realised that! I am building this the same way as I normally do, starting with the wheels first, but I guess I normally have posted some drawings or build board photos by now... I did post a pic of the curved steel for the canti bars, does that count? ;)

Finish the wheels off, build some wide forks and then I can start on the frame... :thumbsup:
That's AWESOME!!!
Thanks Roadie!

Luke.

Been thinking on an idea for wheels for a while, not sure I can do it in the short time frame I have before I have to stop work mid October, but I could not resist drawing it up...

21195193885_6b5d3f11d8_z.jpg

Luke.

That reminds me of the 924 and 928 wheels as well

Love the concept, this is the first thing that popped into my head.....
porsche-944-08.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That reminds me of the 924 and 928 wheels as well
Nice! I was thinking even slightly more exotic though:

21017726719_a1110fd454_z.jpg

Had a poster of a QV5000 Countach on my wall growing up, always loved those wheels...

Luke.

I'm sure glad I'm in a different class than you Luke! Of course, I already knew that, but....having tires like that, and a plan for how they will fit on your build...? That's in another league!

Latest posts

Back