█★█ starsNbars █★█ 38 Hawthorne Twin Bar 5 Bar ☠ - Red White and RUST - Tied for 7th Place

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally think the lines of the stock Girvin fork look best on this frame. ;)

What about using the Thermos around the seat post?

I really like the shields on the thermos, but I just don't like the blue on this bike at all. I may still incorporate one of the Stars and Stripes shields somewhere, but not on the forks.

I personally think the lines of the stock Girvin fork look best on this frame. ;)

Now that I am past trying to make my own fork legs, I agree with you SR69. I have decided to stick with the Girvin and I also have figured out how I will paint them. I really liked how @thatismytruck did flat black / gloss black on his Higgins build last year. I am going to paint the forks flat black, then have gloss black stars on the upper section with gloss black vertical stripes on the lower section.

index.php

BTW, I'm glad you got over your "builder's block" on this one. I suspect that you still have some sort of "fork block", but you can keep playing with ideas for the fork whilst you sort the rest of the build. I'm sure you'll find a way to pull the fork thing off perfectly... you got some time to play with here....

Thanks, you are correct on the fork block, but I am confident in my current plan for the fork. It ties in with some of my other plans for the bike. Like you said still plenty of time, but I also know that I have some biz travel coming up.

What about using the Thermos around the seat post?

The shield is actually 4" wide, so it's bigger around than the seatpost. I may use one as an insert in one of the holes in the chainguard. Not sure, but who knows.

Last edited:
I think you've got the right idea now! Sometimes the answer is right in front of you and it takes some weeding to get to it.:)
The one thing that you could easily try is swapping left and right which puts the drop outs forward and more of a raked look. The brake bosses would be rear facing, but I'm sure that you could figure out a use for them. Just like with my fork, it's not a new idea, but it's effective.

I think you've got the right idea now! Sometimes the answer is right in front of you and it takes some weeding to get to it.:)
The one thing that you could easily try is swapping left and right which puts the drop outs forward and more of a raked look. The brake bosses would be rear facing, but I'm sure that you could figure out a use for them. Just like with my fork, it's not a new idea, but it's effective.

Yeah, no matter what your original plans are, these builds are an organic process that grows and changes as you go along.

Flipping Girvin forks doesn't work as well as you would think. You actually end up with less rake because the upper pivot hole is forward from the centerline. When you flip the forks the angle of the fork actually gets closer to vertical.

King, dude, you take a lot of flack because you throw every idea you have out there in the public eye, good or bad. I love you brother, I spend just as much time as you sweating details, but I don't post everything, I just don't have the time. Keep on being you, everything you try that doesn't make it to the finished bike is still cool and gives other people ideas. No one on this site has a lock-down on cool (Oh, I know Fordsnake is a design monster, and there are others who scare me with their creativity, but that drives people to Get ta buildin'!)

Keep it up, Rg

King, dude, you take a lot of flack because you throw every idea you have out there in the public eye, good or bad. I love you brother, I spend just as much time as you sweating details, but I don't post everything, I just don't have the time. Keep on being you, everything you try that doesn't make it to the finished bike is still cool and gives other people ideas. No one on this site has a lock-down on cool (Oh, I know Fordsnake is a design monster, and there are others who scare me with their creativity, but that drives people to Get ta buildin'!)

Keep it up, Rg
Yeah what he said and tell em
5y4eze2u.jpg
I'll do the thinnin' around here. And don't you forget it!! ( remember that)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure thing Baba Looey!

I am going to paint the forks flat black, then have gloss black stars on the upper section with gloss black vertical stripes on the lower section.
Cool idea! I have seen hot rods done flat black with gloss black flames, they look cool...

Luke.

Black on black, huh? Name change to DeathStars and Bars! Hahahahahahaha. Seriously, good move not messing with the fork. It's got just the right amount of uniqueness already.
Too funny. Believe or not, it's already been done.
Death_Star-Spangled_Banner.jpg

There isn't much tire clearance with these BOAs pumped up and on the maiden voyage, the axle slipped a hair which made the wheel scrub. Of course I forgot to take any tools with me. So tonight I Put the Girvin back together and took starsNbars out for a longer ride (with tools). Rode like a dream with the fat BOAs and Girvin. I still need to connect up the shifter to test out the gearing. It's definitely way low in first. But it was a nice evening in Savannah.

WP_20140527_19_39_24_Pro (1024x690).jpg
WP_20140527_19_41_56_Pro.jpg
WP_20140527_19_42_44_Pro.jpg
WP_20140527_20_15_35_Pro.jpg
WP_20140527_20_09_54_Pro (1024x702).jpg

I have seen this cool Rat Rod many times downtown. He has all kinds of remote control animation on it. Water guns, moving skeletons, noises, etc. If you look at the second photo you can see that he set off the flame thrower. He's sitting off camera eating pizza.

WP_20140527_20_01_06_Pro.jpg
WP_20140527_20_01_14_Pro.jpg

Very cool!
Loving the way the bike looks with those cross brace bars King! :thumbsup:

Luke.

Thanks Luke, I really like them too. My hands were rusty after the ride though. :D

Loving the bike's stance; those frames seem to have a lot of BB drop, which I'm sure adds to the plush and stable ride....

It's been a few years since I've visited Savannah, but it's a truly awesome town.

Quick question... how are you going to attach the front drum's reaction arm to the Girvin? (I'm sorry if this was already covered, but I missed it...)

Loving the bike's stance; those frames seem to have a lot of BB drop, which I'm sure adds to the plush and stable ride....

It's been a few years since I've visited Savannah, but it's a truly awesome town.

Quick question... how are you going to attach the front drum's reaction arm to the Girvin? (I'm sorry if this was already covered, but I missed it...)

Come on down and we'll go for a ride. I love my town.

This is my first drum brake bike and haven't decided how I will secure the drum brake arm yet. I figured I would search RRB to see what others have done. Suggestions are welcome.

Cool idea! I have seen hot rods done flat black with gloss black flames, they look cool...

Luke.

Skip (thatismytruck) put gloss black stars on his flat black fork on that build challenge Higgy he did against me - it looks great.

Back