☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8.

Uncle Stretch said:
Your being sick ...working on cars...are you getting any bike building done?
I like the girder frame part. Waiting to see more. :wink:

Plus he is driving all of Oz and on vacation too boot.

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8.

cool car repair trick :lol: can't wait to see more of your frame work!!!!

Troy

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. JOINING THE FRAMES!

Thanks for dropping in everyone, and nice to hear others who gained so much experience from their Dads too!

Uncle Stretch, I admit things are a little crazy at the moment, but we are having fun and a ball and the family is loving having a part in the build and seeing it happen too, so very happy with how things are going, even though I think it will take right to the last day to finish it! :shock:

This is an awesome way to have a vacation though! :mrgreen:

Here is an update at last on the girder frame Uncle and Troy!

Started by finishing the welding on the inside of the frame halves and cleaning up the welds etc. then drilled 56 1/4 inch holes in the inside walls of the halves... (28 each side.)

8975991738_39dd916e2c.jpg

Then cut 28x71mm lengths of 6mm round bar...

8975991818_5263a7fc1d.jpg

Fitted the round bars to the holes on one frame side, then working from the back of the frames, set them into the top frames holes too, using a 50mm strip of flatbar to get the frame spacing exact, welded the very back round bar and worked my way forward 5 at a time, clamping carefully to the frame either side of the flatbar spacer, the last 2 bars were the hardest, had to get my Father In Law (FIL) to prise the frame apart with a couple of bits of square tube to get them to drop into the top holes.

So here it is tacked together, angle bracing on the down tube to go, still have to finish the welding on the cross bars and then weld in the thin strip of 50mm between the two top bars, but already very strong! Really happy with how it is coming out!

8975991866_892dfbb6f3.jpg

8975991920_a6d2fc85ff.jpg

More soon, maybe tomorrow if my health holds out after todays work...

Luke.

Thats cool,and very time consuming,but its done!!! :D
Stating to take shape now,well done Luke...

Funkme said:
Thats cool,and very time consuming,but its done!!! :D
Stating to take shape now,well done Luke...
Thanks Funk!
Time consuming is right, but well worth it when you get it done and see the result!
Loving the way it is coming together...

Luke.

That is very nice! any plans yet for the fork ? perhaps made in the same structure style ? Gj!

Awesome work as usual sir! Truly architecturaly beautiful!

Luke, your frame is looking just amazing :shock:

8975991866_892dfbb6f3.jpg

I'm also keen to know what your fork will be like... can't imaging anything ordinary on there :?

Keep up the great work, but look after yourself and don't overdo it... you are on holiday remember :wink:

Your vision is coming through now!!!! That is an amazing amount of welding so far!!!
Loving your build. Hope you get to feeling better.
If you lay a road down for the bridge, I think you need a mini replica of your Penguin bike popping a wheelie across the bridge!!

OneHorsePower said:
That is very nice! Gj!
bigfatcat said:
Awesome work as usual sir! Truly architecturaly beautiful!
Glen said:
Luke, your frame is looking just amazing :shock: Keep up the great work, but look after yourself and don't overdo it... you are on holiday remember :wink:
kingfish254 said:
Your vision is coming through now!!!! That is an amazing amount of welding so far!!!
Loving your build. Hope you get to feeling better.
If you lay a road down for the bridge, I think you need a mini replica of your Penguin bike popping a wheelie across the bridge!!
:D Thanks Guys! Glad you like it, it is a lot of work, but really looks great, I may make this my signature style... :mrgreen:

I am looking after my health fairly well, trying not to do too much, but it sure is fun to work on the bike! I think if I didn't have the bike or another project with me, I would go crazy before now, and most certainly before we get back home...

Even with having the bike project with us, I need something else to give my mind a break occasionally, so I have tried to find other things to do, did the other bike for my Bro-in-law at location 1, fixed a belt squeal problem on my other Bro-in-law's car and clocked a video game with him at location 2, built a candelabra for the middle of the table on the deck at my Uncle and Aunties location 3, Been working on our car here at location 4, and probably will be building a tint frame for my Father-in-law while here too... Who knows what I will find to do at location 5 my Parents place, last time I built a stand for the microwave and a set of playing card holders...

OneHorsePower said:
any plans yet for the fork ? perhaps made in the same structure style ? Gj!
Glen said:
I'm also keen to know what your fork will be like... can't imaging anything ordinary on there :?
Plans for the fork? Actually I was planning a fairly simple motorbike style triple tree set up, but made super fat with 45mm o.d. tube. (1 3/4 inch) I was thinking that doing the forks the same way as the frame might be too much of a good thing, but I might draw it up now to see what it looks like...

Then again, my lighting plan might attract enough attention to the front end as it is... :shock:

Luke.

Luke that frame is absolutely incredible your skills and vision are indisputable :!: :!: :!:

Troy

AWESOME! Great fabrication skills going on here! 8)

jats said:
Luke that frame is absolutely incredible your skills and vision are indisputable :!: :!: :!:

Troy
pick said:
AWESOME! Great fabrication skills going on here! 8)

Thanks Guys! I am glad other awesome builders are liking it as much as I am!!! :D

Luke.

Got some more done today, may not look like a huge change to the frame, but it is a lot of the fiddly work out of the way...

Bent the frame in at the front to fit the headtube and lined it up, welded it in...

8982968245_73537abd63.jpg

Then moved on to the frame top plate, this took quite a bit of effort as the welds had shrunk slightly and the gap was not quite 2 inch's anymore, managed to separate them enough to get the front in and just worked my way back from there. I had little alignment plates made up to help get the plate an even amount down from the top, but due to the tight fit, they didn't really do anything, so did it all by eye and it seems to have come out pretty good!

8982968313_302e74a3a1.jpg

Then did the cross bracing on the front of the down tube, I was unsure of how to do this originally but my uncle came up with this cross brace idea which looks great and gives a huge amount of torsional rigidity!

8982968393_406092ce00.jpg

Does not look a huge amount different, but the main frame triangle is now done! On to fitting the axles to the wheels and fitting up the rear triangle, then on to the drivetrain or forks depending on how I am feeling... :wink:

Luke.

I like the space frame structure.

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. MAIN FRAME TRIANGLE DONE!

I'm getting a image this will be something like a bobsled :lol: :lol: :wink:
Lots o weight,no steering,no brakes... :shock: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

:lol: Probably not far off! Will have some brakes with the hidden disc, not sure how effective it will be at pulling up 370lbs (150lbs + 220lbs rider), hopefully the steering will be ok at low speeds, I cant imagine leaning into corners will be easy, but I cant imagine getting it up to a fast enough speed that you would need to either!

With the main triangle done, I decided to mock it up with the wheels to see how it looks...

8982968421_3d0dea6e69.jpg

Looks pretty good! Even though the frame is quite large, I like that it still takes a back seat visual-size-wise to the wheels, that was a big part of the reasoning behind the girder/truss idea... Thinking I might move the back wheel further away from the frame a little, but see how I feel when the time comes...

Luke.

dracothered said:
Looking good enough to bridge over something.... :mrgreen:
Troubled waters? :lol:

Did some quick measuring on the mock up, comes in at just over 9 feet/2.8 meters long and is just over 2 feet/650mm tall... Long and Low...

Luke.

Back