☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. MORE FRAME PROGRESS

I am new to the forum and have found a new passion for custom bikes. Luke, I have to say I LOVE YOUR STYLE. After looking at this build log and some of your others I can’t wait to see what’s next and see this bike done!

Come on Luke! Throw away the book and post more pics Mate!! :wink: :lol:

ThatGuy said:
I am new to the forum and have found a new passion for custom bikes. Luke, I have to say I LOVE YOUR STYLE. After looking at this build log and some of your others I can’t wait to see what’s next and see this bike done!
:shock: Wow! Thanks for the kind words! Going to try make some big progress soon and get it rolling... Looking forward to seeing your builds too ThatGuy!

Gdcast said:
Come on Luke! Throw away the book and post more pics Mate!! :wink: :lol:
:lol: Will do! Just waiting on the health to recover a bit...
More soon!

Luke.

Went touring today, but did find some interesting bike bits...

Including an original Japanese Haysune super deluxe twin headlight dynamo lighting set!

8909932559_8c5d7aec1f.jpg

All the pieces were still wrapped in the original oiled plastic wrappers, it has been sitting so long the oil has become sticky and stuck to the chrome, but should polish off no worries!

8909932775_2b118a6b03.jpg

Still has the original bulbs!

8909932651_5e431780de.jpg

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8.

Sweet find!! I was looking for a set of those for last year's build off, but couldn't find any.

Yep, could not believe it when I saw them... May not make it on to this bike, the scale is a bit off, but just had to show pics of the find!

You would not believe the price either... :wink:

Luke.

Hello again all! :D

Sorry for the lack of updates, been travelling, we are now at stop 4 of our trip, up on the Atherton tablelands near Cairns in Queensland...

The good news is, plenty of shed room for working on the bike here! Should be no excuses for not having a rolling chassis before we move on to our next location!

8955957169_a6f79d0a40.jpg

Dropped into the local motorbike shop here, and asked if they had any second-hand sprockets, they came out with 5, I picked these 2 which they gave me for free! Anyone have any ideas what I might use these for??? :wink:

8955957257_5ce85f55c4.jpg

48m tooth full alloy KTM matched pair... Slightly scuffed but should clean and polish nicely.

8955957339_80dca513ab.jpg

Got a little work to do on the car before getting into the bike, but should be welding merrily away within a day or two... More updates to come!

Luke.

Frame is starting to take on a nice look... :D
Some nice scores you are getting in your travels...Well done !!!

Funkme said:
Frame is starting to take on a nice look... :D
Some nice scores you are getting in your travels...Well done !!!
Thanks!

Finding some interesting things and at great prices too... That amazing light set was only $8!

By the way motorized bike fans, just because I have those sprockets and it is such a large bike, does not mean a motor will be finding its way onto the build, just thought I would say that out front so no one got their hopes up!!! :wink:

Just ordered a matching (#520) chain on eBay, had to go for an extra long (10 foot) chain to get the length I need for where I intend to use them... :mrgreen:

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Anyone have any ideas what I might use these for??? :wink:
8955957257_5ce85f55c4.jpg

Luke.

you could use theme to create a reduced gearing that could also allow you to run a standard width BB ? :wink:
Sanstitre-2_zps7b6a567c.jpg

cant wait to see that thing rolling :p

Love the Bridge Girder look but then I would--house I'm restoring--originally owned by a bridge builder

OneHorsePower said:
you could use theme to create a reduced gearing that could also allow you to run a standard width BB ? :wink:
Sanstitre-2_zps7b6a567c.jpg

cant wait to see that thing rolling :p
Hole in one 1HP! :wink:
That is the idea, they will be mounted on the rear wheel and on the jackshaft with approx. 148 links of #520 chain between them!

But that is not all! Remember I am also running the front chain right down the centre of the frame, using an offset front chainwheel and offset jackshaft, and then, hiding the whole lot behind covers! You will be able to see the 2 crank arms and nothing else till you get to these 2 massive KTM sprockets at the back of the frame, with nothing seeming to connect the front at the cranks to the rear chain... :mrgreen:

Not only that but the disc brake will be hidden inside the frame on the jackshaft too, transfer braking force through the big sprockets and chain to the rear wheel. So it will appear to have no brakes...

Hope it works!

Luke.

Does this help.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

$8bucks for lights,fantastic...Well worth it...

LukeTheJoker said:
Love that house FT2003! The trussed front looks awesome!
Is it your house or a restoration job?

Luke.
Luke,I do own that house.
You see the number plate in the center---most people simply think that is the house number---it's not. That plate is called a Harriman Standard after the owner of the Union Pacific RR who made all his bridge builders put a date plate on his bridges
a date plate might be something to think on for your truss framed bike.

frameteam2003 said:
a date plate might be something to think on for your truss framed bike.
That is a great idea!
Think we will be doing that!

Luke.

Love the house, congrats on owning it!

Got the work done on the car today.

It is times like today that you really appreciate everything your Dad taught you growing up, 3 states and 3000km from home, no special tools or shop press, just hand tools, a welder and access to a freezer and changed the front wheel bearings on the Camry!

Used the welder to run a few beads inside the old outer race to shrink it enough to tap it out easily, even welded a small piece of angle in to tap against, the bearing popped out in three hits, the new bearing outer race had been in the freezer for a while to shrink it , so when it came time to fit it, it dropped most of the way in without any persuasion at all and only the last 5mm (1/4 inch) took much effort, and even then, less than normal...

8966841145_8e06e3080f.jpg

I give my Father all the credit for my mechanical knowledge and also setting me on the right track with metal fabrication, he is also a fully qualified metal fabricator and has many years of engineering experience.

Thanks Dad!

Luke.

P.S. Hope to work on the bike tomorrow...

Nice one going out to yr old man....
passing on down tricks of the trade... :D

Your being sick ...working on cars...are you getting any bike building done?
I like the girder frame part. Waiting to see more. :wink:

Back