☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. WHEELS DONE!

LukeTheJoker said:
The Renaissance Man said:
Nice precision work with simple tools!
Looks like you wont be needing a kick stand with those tires. :mrgreen:
Thanks!

Yeah, wont be any need for a kickstand, but that leads to another issue...
If you park on a slight slope with a "normal" bike, the kickstand holds it from rolling away...
With this, parked on a slope with no kickstand! :shock: Looks like I need a park brake! :lol:

Luke.
You can get brake levers that have a locking button that lets you do just that. Apply the brakes and push the button in, the brakes stay applied until you release them.

The wheels are looking great :D I like them as is but filling in every other gap would also look cool. What about some way of having pieces that can be attached when you want them, and removed when you don't... clip ons :lol:

:mrgreen: I envy your (and others) welding skills... I have done some welding on my frame and it is rubbish :oops: :roll: Oh well... still lots of time so hopefully I will get there.

Spectacular :shock: !
8747831416_e75f9b1080.jpg

You do nice work Luke. I guess the tires made it through the welding ok, I was wondering how that would work out for you, I didn't doubt you could do it, but if it were me, I would have been very nervous!

Rich

That's big! :mrgreen:

Can't wait to see more :wink:

RichL said:
You do nice work Luke. I guess the tires made it through the welding ok, I was wondering how that would work out for you, I didn't doubt you could do it, but if it were me, I would have been very nervous!

Rich
I had thought about it, really didn't want to weld with them on there, but after the 2 day circus event that it took to get them on, with 7 different guys at two different tire shops trying to get them seated up... I decided they better stay on! :lol:

I let some air out of the tires first, figuring the weld would heat the air inside and increase the pressure somewhat, and just welded a small amount at each time, letting it cool slightly as I went, seems to have worked with no issues at all! Whew! I still have to paint the rims with the tires on, which I don't like to do, but that is just the way it is unfortunately, but, the tires do have a nice "rim protection" lip that will hold the masking board nice and snug to the rim, so should work fine.

The Renaissance Man said:
Nice precision work with simple tools!
splitty21 said:
Nice work on wheels and with no fancy tools!

Thanks Guys! I love doing things that should be hard with little or no "fancy" tools, it just means you need to think a little more outside the box, and come up with your own method of doing things! My idea of fun! :mrgreen: (Does not mean I would not love the "fancy" tools! Been a long time since I was on the lathe and mills...) One item I insist on using is a decent mig welder though, makes life so much easier!

There are lots of Guys and Girls on this site doing amazing things with the most basic of tools, it is really great to see the "hands on" approach is still alive, not relying on machines to do the work for us!

Back when I was working, before my health went south, we used to do a lot of work for concrete plants, one of my favourite jobs was replacing the mixing fins in the truck mounted agitators, working in a cramped environment with new fins that never fit right and no room for fancy tools and usually too far out of town to collect anything you forgot to bring, really pushes the limits of what you can do... We came up with a few of our own methods of making them fit properly! :wink:

More to come soon SCHWINNRAY!

Luke.

beyond way cool this is just incredible!!!!!

Troy

Thanks Troy, Steve and Lucas!

Feeling much better now thankyou Steve, I think the warmer weather as we go further north is helping a lot!

Got some pics from our trip from the Newcastle area of New South Wales to Rockhampton in Queensland...
Spotted this sweet little trike out the front of a "Vintage Wares" store, would have loved to snap it up but the $195 price tag stopped me pretty quick.

8747831498_3c10dd0f5f.jpg

Stopped for a photo at the giant golden guitar in Tamworth N.S.W., Tamworth is the Australian equivalent of Nashville I guess, but pretty much only for 2 weeks a year...

8756137929_15b9e4baf6.jpg

8756137951_78c1a18ef5.jpg

Stopped in at Maccas for a quick feed, at look what their current seasonal dessert offering is!

8756137983_da0d74e19d.jpg

All going well with the car and trailer, aside from one tire that let go at 100km/h (62mph) going down a hill, no damage and pulled up safely thankfully. We are carrying 2 spares for the car and a spare for the trailer too, already replaced the blown one...

8756138029_da4b540cb0.jpg

Seeing as we are on a new page now, how about a bonus build off bike wheel shot for this page! :mrgreen:

8756137917_bf382fc373.jpg

Luke.

I disappear for a week or so and miss so much! :lol: Looks like you're having fun! Wheels are looking SICK! Glad your blow out was recovered safely. :shock:

Thanks for dropping in Terry!
I have learnt already that you cant drop out for a week on the build off, too much to catch up on when you get back! :shock: Took me 4 hours to catch up from 3 days away...

Luke.

I bet that Crunchie McFlurry is awesome!!!!

You could always use one of your "bike" tires as a spare. :mrgreen:

Back