☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. WHEELS DONE!

:lol: Already thought of that! :lol:
Pretty sure I could temporary rig it up on the trailer, bit harder on the car where it has to hold against braking/driving forces...

Luke.

Your really getting the hang of building those wide rims to bike hubs.
This one will look like an Indy Racer. Heck of a job.

Uncle Stretch said:
Your really getting the hang of building those wide rims to bike hubs.
This one will look like an Indy Racer. Heck of a job.
Thanks Uncle Stretch! :D

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8.

A bit hard to do much in the way of metalwork while here at my Brother-in-laws place.(Lives in a unit/apartment.)
So decided to do some virtual work and came up with a mock up...

8762062255_6830fe13bc.jpg

Pretty happy with the way it looks! :mrgreen:

Did a mock up on the clip on spoke covers too...

8762062391_4aaf01e4f2.jpg

Not such a fan of them. :( What do you guys think?

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. DIGITAL MOCK UP!

Great virtual mock up, Luke.

And the mock up spoke covers kind of reminded me of the old superfast matchbox car wheels like this...

images

I just did a google search that took me on a journey down memory lane looking for the image above. Found heaps of photos of the old cars I had when I was a kid.

Found this more modern one too that is probably a bit closer to the look you have going on...

images

Thanks for prompting a bit of reminiscing.

I think I am a bit of a fan fan... or has the spoke spoke :roll:

(23/05/2013 - Edited the picture size so they are not too big)

Sorry guys! No pun intended! :lol:
Thanks for the inspiration pics Glen, I do like the look of them, but not so much in the 4/8 spoke version, I guess I should have made 10 spoke ones if I was going to cover them...

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8.

LukeTheJoker said:

8762062391_4aaf01e4f2.jpg

Not such a fan

Luke.

nice play on the words :D
i like the "spokes only" better

OneHorsePower said:
nice play on the words :D
i like the "spokes only" better
Yeah, I think I agree 1HP, I like to stick close to my original vision unless something amazing happens on a mock up with a new idea. If I keep chopping and changing on a project they come out at the end with no clear direction sometimes...

Moving on from the Brother in laws tomorrow morning, heading up towards Airlie beach staying with my Uncle and Aunty. My Uncle is an ex Diesel mechanic, hobby welder, hobby forger, hobby carpenter and has major experience with wood and fiberglass/carbon fibre/Kevlar from building boats, pretty sure there will be some major progress on the bike while we are there! :wink:

Hoping to have the basic frame well and truly sorted before we move on from there... Hopefully a rolling chassis... :mrgreen:

Luke.

kingfish254 said:
I bet that Crunchie McFlurry is awesome!!!!

You could always use one of your "bike" tires as a spare. :mrgreen:
:lol:

Lookin Great Luke, Love the wheels and my son just thinks there "Sick". I like the eight spoke set up, they look like Invader mags from the 70's 8)

nice mock up love the covers!

Troy

Thanks for dropping in everyone!
Still leaning towards the 8 spoke look, but seeing as so many like the 4 covered spokes, I might mock it up properly when I get the rolling frame done...

Luke.

I actually prefer the eight spoke too... which is why I suggested the clip on covers so that you can change the look easily if you want to.

8 spokes seems appropriate though, since it is build off #8 :wink:

I prefer the spokes without the covers.

Man.............Airlie Beach and bike buildin'............don't get much better than that!!

I'm back in Rocky tomorrow.

Yep, rocked into Airlie this afternoon! :mrgreen: Pretty hard to deal with these amazing views...

If the trip here today has not taken too much of a toll on me I might get to setting out the frame pattern tomorrow... :wink: Looking forward to it! I want to see these wheels rolling!!!

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Yep, rocked into Airlie this afternoon! :mrgreen: Pretty hard to deal with these amazing views...

If the trip here today has not taken too much of a toll on me I might get to setting out the frame pattern tomorrow... :wink: Looking forward to it! I want to see these wheels rolling!!!

Luke.
excited to see the frame your going to fit around those tires!

T

jats said:
excited to see the frame your going to fit around those tires!

T
Me too! :D

Frame design nearly changed to a full wooden set up last night after thrashing a few ideas around with my boat building Uncle... Thankfully sanity prevailed and this one will be steel frame (mainly :wink: ) and we will save the wood idea for a build that wont have giant wheels that will compete for attention with the beautiful frame...

Luke.

Back