☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. DIGITAL MOCK UP!

Started a little on the frame today, all the tubes are bent now and some extra stuff is worked out, so should be starting welding very soon! :mrgreen: Really looking forward to seeing this monster bike rolling...

8825815696_2c017b3c1a.jpg

More soon...

Luke.

WOW that tube looks small :lol: this is going to be cool!!!

Troy

Looks small because it is! That is 1/2 inch square tube, pretty much the smallest size available... I am trying visually lighten the frame by using smaller steel stock, the problem then is getting it strong enough, but I have a plan that I hope will work...

Luke.

You'll find out quick enough if it isn't strong enough :lol:
Nice progress!

On your spoke choice:
I not the biggest fan of 3 or 4 spokes but like 5, 7 (my wife's Mazda 3), and 8
But I know could come up with some really clever pattern to make the 4 spoke covers work
(judging by the cool details of your muscle bike :shock: 8) :mrgreen: )

Yeah Steve, I will just have to wait and see what I come up with on the spoke covers, pretty happy with the 8 spoke look as it is, but may look different mounted on the frame...

SSG said:
Those wheels and tires are amazing. This must be the fat tire build-off :D
It is super cool to see the fat tires coming out, really looking forward to seeing more of "splitty21's" Porsche Rod build: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=72668
The single sided rear is very cool...

Luke.

Done some actual frame work, this may not look like much progress, but it took quite a bit of brain power to work out where each brace or plate went...

Just in case any had not realised it, the frame is done bridge truss style...

8850974503_1d6caacd11.jpg

More to come, going to use this frame side as a template for the other side, so it should go together quicker hopefully, might even get them connected in one go, see what happens!

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. FRAME PROGRESS AT LAST!

The trussing is AWESOME! That should offset the wheel weight perfectly!!

bean said:
bigfatcat said:
The trussing is AWESOME! That should offset the wheel weight perfectly!!
Tommy Atoms said:
Thanks Guys!

Very happy with how it is looking, now you can see why it took me so long to get the frame this far, trying to work out which pieces were under compression and which were under tension and how to brace that big top corner took some effort! Still got more working out to go, the front down tube is done the same way and it has both tension and compression forces in the same piece at some places, so that will be interesting! :shock:

Good fun though, I love this stuff! :D

Terry "BigFatCat" hit the nail on the head, doing it this way to offset the visual weight of the wheels, the bike may be heavy, but I want it to appear lighter visually than it would with a solid tube frame. The trussed "tube" probably actually weighs very similar to a square tube of similar size, but looks lighter due to the gaps...

Got some more interesting features planned for it too, for example the top of the top "tube" will have a 2 inch wide plate stitch welded to it instead of trussing. Why? Because then I will have somewhere to run some pin stripes! :mrgreen:

Luke.

Forgot to mention, sorry about the lower quality pics at the moment, my super-duper phone that I used for pics died, I would use our normal camera but we forgot to bring the charge lead on our trip, and money is fairly tight so the phone I got to replace the one I had has a pretty average camera, with no auto focus or flash, still what can you expect for $60?

We have a new charge lead for the camera on its way, but wont receive it till we get to Darwin, which is about 3 weeks away yet, (It is coming from the U.K. The cost of having a fancy camera with a non standard charge lead!) so the pics are going to be at this slightly lower standard for a little while I am afraid... I am taking 3 or 4 pics at a time and picking the best one to post, so it should be not too bad.

Luke.

Very cool idea to use bridge trusses!!! Since you said there will be parallell sections, does that mean you are going to have them support a little road in the middle complete with model cars???? :mrgreen:

Thanks KingFish and Rich!

I suppose the pinstriping on the top plate could reflect a road surface with cars on it...
Not sure it would look any good though! :lol:

Luke.

the truss work is fantastic the mental image of this is just incredible might be a tough paint job but well worth it!!!! cool idea and exicution :D

Troy

Hit the nail on the head there Jats! Painting is going to be interesting to say the least! Trying to get an even coat over all the bars, specially inside the round bars will be a slow process me thinks...

Luke.

Back