TRADITIONAL ⚡️⚡️⚡️THUNDERBOLT⚡️⚡️⚡️COLORS SELECTED⚡️⚡️⚡️SCRATCH BUILT TANK⚡️⚡️⚡️FRAME & PARTS STRIPPED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working on the fitment of the skirts and chain guard. I may go down to a small lucky 7 sprocket to ensure good chain clearance. I had to swap out the crank as well since the curved arm on the crank side rubbed the chain guard. Everything is finally in primer so I am no longer working with rusty parts. I also swapped to my wheel with the torpedo 3 speed hub with coaster brake. Hopefully it will mate to the twist grip shifter I’m using.
IMG_5641.jpeg
IMG_5642.jpeg

More nice finish work. Thanks for sharing the process.
It's great to see the parts starting to play together on the frame. It's always a challenge tweaking mismatched parts for both function and style. Your dialing these in well on both counts. Love the fender position and the skirts. The shark gill tank is wicked.

More nice finish work. Thanks for sharing the process.
It's great to see the parts starting to play together on the frame. It's always a challenge tweaking mismatched parts for both function and style. Your dialing these in well on both counts. Love the fender position and the skirts. The shark gill tank is wicked.
Thank you @kingfish254 I had to kick some things in to high gear to make this happen. Still trying to get it all to work together. Getting the skirt to mate well with the fender is a bit challenging. Hopefully by today I’ll have this figured out and on to some real paint. ✌🏻

I got the fender and the skirts dialed in with the chain guard today. Lots of put it on then take it back off exercises. I was able to remove the fender strut since there is plenty of support and attachment points on the skirts. This has cleaned up the rear and provides some nice lines. I finally went to a small lucky seven chain ring that fit well within the guard and skirt. I am excited to feel the 3 speed offerings with this small ring. I am capping everything I can with acorn nuts to give a nice finished look. Now time for disassembly and one last primer and sand before paint. Then I’ll start prepping the frame for primer and paint.
IMG_5646.jpeg

I love looking up skirts, er, AT skirts. They make a good combo on this build with the fenders!
Thanks. The skirts have been on my want list for a long time and I came upon them at a good time. The straight fender support I was using is now gone, since it interfered with the lines and caused problems fitting the chain guard. Happy so far. Running outta time!

Technically they are skirt guards but I just think they are a cool styling element. Like fender skirts on a '50s kustom car.
View attachment 272245

They are called skirt guards on ladies bikes though because they had a functional purpose of keeping skirts out of the dirty wheel. But they are awesome styling elements for us to use on men's frames. I've used them on at least 4 builds over the years.

I got the fender and the skirts dialed in with the chain guard today. Lots of put it on then take it back off exercises. I was able to remove the fender strut since there is plenty of support and attachment points on the skirts. This has cleaned up the rear and provides some nice lines. I finally went to a small lucky seven chain ring that fit well within the guard and skirt. I am excited to feel the 3 speed offerings with this small ring. I am capping everything I can with acorn nuts to give a nice finished look. Now time for disassembly and one last primer and sand before paint. Then I’ll start prepping the frame for primer and paint. View attachment 272243

You've done a good job blending it all together. Looks great without the brace too.

Finally trying to get back on track after falling ill over the past three weeks. I felt so bad, that I hardly had the energy to check out the forums. Now in a pinch to finish the bike in time. Anyhow, I started getting the paint stripped from the frame in preparation for paint. I love the colors I chose, but the Montana paints smell like they were mixed with straight gasoline and spray terribly. So I will be off to the hardware store to hopefully find some quality matches. The chain guard and skirts have been primed, wet sanded and ready for paint. Still detailing the tank and hopefully it will be in primer soon.
IMG_5707.jpeg

Back