πŸπŸ—πŸ‘πŸ• π”π§πœπ₯𝐞 π’π­π«πžπ­πœπ‘ 𝐂𝐨π₯𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐗𝐋𝐖𝐁 - BO17 Build Journal - Finished in 3rd Place - 1937 Uncle Stretch Colson XLWB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see that @Captain Awesome already provided a link to my VerBoten build.
I actually had those bars made for me from Anthony Hobbs back in BO10. The same guy that made the springer forks on my current build.
I dug back into that thread and remembered my inspiration for them.
I liked the streamlined look of a set that I missed out on in the sale section

View attachment 201004

Kinda like the long flat bars used for the old pacer motorcycles. I think they also called these "tiller" bars.

View attachment 201003

Funny memory was right after I placed the order for Anthony to make those bars for me, I found this chair at a thrift shop while the bars were in transit.
I still bought the chair and chopped it up.

View attachment 201002

And tested them on VerBoten. They worked well, but were about 4" narrower than the bars I ended up using. Thanks for reminding me that I still have these in the back of my shop. I'll definitly use them some day.

View attachment 201006

By the way, the ChopShop bars have a little bit of that pacer bar vibe to them with such a long drawback.

View attachment 201008
Was style I wanted for Canadian metal couldn't find anything that was close. I like the parallel I had considered making a set but steal is so expensive now

Was style I wanted for Canadian metal couldn't find anything that was close. I like the parallel I had considered making a set but steal is so expensive now

Go to the thrift stores and look for the old chairs and cut one up.

I’m starting to get a 1915 Harley-Davidson Model 11-F, β€œEffie” vibe with your build, except for them fancy whitewalls
87022AB0-402F-480F-8801-4F977E1D2DD2.png
Another pic, in action with saddlebags
1658192264073.jpeg

Last edited:
Those bars are growing on me. The black color doesn't jive right now, but I know you have a whole color wheel yet to discover with this build. After a few photos, I was just focusing on the bike and environment, the bars didn't 'stick out' for me. So that might be a good thing.

I still prefer the previous bar, I find the straight top line troubling, and the angle from curved section to straight is very jarring.

The curve in this one flows with the top bars better

Awesome pics bud! Did you use a level when you installed the bars? They are perfectly lined up with the steps behind it.

What do you think of them now?

Catched up to this one, love that chopshop bars, but not certain if they fully fit this bike.

I still haven't decided on the bars.
The ChopShop bars really performed well for me. I like the look and the feel of them. They are very flat (and I eyeballed the levelness of them Dr.T) like my bars on VerBoten. They are about an inch or so lower than the big cruiser bars, so in certain turning situations, I had to position my knee differently.
But, the big cruiser bars are actually little more comfy. I sort of like the styling of them for this build better so far.
We'll see which one is best as the build progresses.

Catched up to this one,

And I really enjoy the pictures you are taking.

Don't get me wrong, the bike is absolutely gorgeous, but my view when I see the latest pictures;
The front fork looks very bulky and industrial, absolutely awesome, but thats also why I am missing something 'balancing' in the rear:
  • Maybe a 'ratrod/liquor' canteen bottle of tool bag behind the seat.
  • Install an old 'tractor' seat (maybe thats over the top weight/looks wise): :grin:
Can't wait for more!

In its current state the build is definitely front heavy visually. I think that will change as I add the tank and the chainguard, and the rear fender.
The unknown is also the possible rear skirt guard. I think once these parts are in place and/or decided on, the build will have a more balanced visual feel to it. At least that is my plan.

Well since it’s a limousine, it should have fenders. They might stabilize the look.

There will definitely be the fat rear fender that I have from the Felt Speedway fat tire bike.
I haven't really considered a front fender for this build though.

1658192694702.jpeg

Last edited:
Name Change Update
While I started out with a build name of The Bike From U.N.C.L.E. STRETCH, it was more of a placeholder.

Bike From 【U.】【N.】【C.】【L.】【E.】.....【STRETCH】 that is..- 1930s Stretched Colson​

I don't want to lock into any theme associated the build name, so I am changing it to

πŸπŸ—πŸ‘πŸ• π”π§πœπ₯𝐞 π’π­π«πžπ­πœπ‘ 𝐂𝐨π₯𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐗𝐋𝐖𝐁​

since, Uncle Stretch designed this from a 1937 Colson frame as a guide. Also Colsons had some larger version frames that have been nicknamed LWB (Long Wheel Base). Well this one is much longer than those, so I am considering it a XLWB model.
I'll probably always just call it Uncle Stretch, which is what I've been doing since I found it. :D

Me? I like the black bars and they are the way retro modern builds are going. Are you all missing the dip in the middle at the gooseneck? Very cool. Just a couple things about straight bars, one, anybody can make a set and B by the time you tilt them enough to be ergonomic when you RIDE your bike they ain't straight no more...

Carl.

Me? I like the black bars and they are the way retro modern builds are going. Are you all missing the dip in the middle at the gooseneck? Very cool. Just a couple things about straight bars, one, anybody can make a set and B by the time you tilt them enough to be ergonomic when you RIDE your bike they ain't straight no more...

Carl.

Both sets are black, bu I assume you mean the ChopShop bars since they are the ones with the clubman style "dip" in the middle.
Don't be so sure about me tilting my bars. I've kept VerBoten's bars pretty much level ever since BO10.

1658258164755.png

If anyone is looking for a set of β€˜flat’ bars (until you can find an abandoned shopping cart or something), Velo Orange’s Porteur handlebar is slick. I can attest to the quality of their products, it’s top notch (but comes at a price, like anything of quality)
https://velo-orange.com/products/vo-porteur-bar-config?_pos=2&_psq=handle&_ss=e&_v=1.0Their Postino bar is cool too
https://velo-orange.com/products/vo-postino-handlebar-22-2mm?_pos=1&_psq=handle&_ss=e&_v=1.0They don’t make the Belleville model anymore, it it’s almost spit on the bars on Verboten, here’s a set on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1341579155...qyah9c6T-W&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

If anyone is looking for a set of β€˜flat’ bars (until you can find an abandoned shopping cart or something), Velo Orange’s Porteur handlebar is slick. I can attest to the quality of their products, it’s top notch (but comes at a price, like anything of quality)
https://velo-orange.com/products/vo-porteur-bar-config?_pos=2&_psq=handle&_ss=e&_v=1.0Their Postino bar is cool too
https://velo-orange.com/products/vo-postino-handlebar-22-2mm?_pos=1&_psq=handle&_ss=e&_v=1.0They don’t make the Belleville model anymore, it it’s almost spit on the bars on Verboten, here’s a set on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1341579155...qyah9c6T-W&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Good deal on those Belleville's

Those Belleville bars are similar, but they are a good bit shorter and they are angled out a little. The VerBoten bars are curved 90 degree bends.

Those Belleville bars are similar, but they are a good bit shorter and they are angled out a little. The VerBoten bars are curved 90 degree bends.
The flat straight bars are actually good for me most 26 inch bikes are high I'm 5 feet so if the bars raise up so does my shoulder on Canadian metal the handlebars are pointing down because if there up my shoulders are to. I have the same problem with apes.

The flat straight bars are actually good for me most 26 inch bikes are high I'm 5 feet so if the bars raise up so does my shoulder on Canadian metal the handlebars are pointing down because if there up my shoulders are to. I have the same problem with apes.

When I said shorter on the Belleville bars, I meant the drawback on them was a good bit shorter than mine.

On this day 7 years ago, a dinosaur tried to eat my skirtguard right after I painted it.

1658319434533.png

Back