TRADITIONAL 🅵🅾🅾🅻🅸🅶🅰🅽 - 1930s Elgin Oriole

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harley Earl (of Corvette fame) actually designed this fork.
Yep. He was designing Corvettes and Buicks when he got hired on to save Evans Colson from bankruptcy. They poured so much into design (trying to out-compete with aesthetics) that they had virtually no budget for advertising. You will see very little, if any, print ads for Evans Colson from 1959-1963 when they eventually went under.

His Le Sabre is another legendary design.

Screenshot_20240528-173602_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20240528-173620_Google.jpg

That explains the jet age styling.
View attachment 267440
Not just famous for Corvettes, he was featured in the 54 Cadillac brochure. Look at all those tailfins

Yep. He was designing Corvettes and Buicks when he got hired on to save Evans Colson from bankruptcy. They poured so much into design (trying to out-compete with aesthetics) that they had virtually no budget for advertising. You will see very little, if any, print ads for Evans Colson from 1959-1963 when they eventually went under.

His Le Sabre is another legendary design.

View attachment 267446View attachment 267447

No tailfins planned.......at least not at the moment.

Even though I love the old TRYGG wishbone kickstand. It was just barely hitting the ground with the rear tire under inflated. I knew it wasn't gonna work when I patched the tire. So I swapped it out with one of these MASSLOAD butterfly stands that I've used before.

20240529_142347.jpg

Cleaned out the BB and greased up some bearings. About to do my first chainline test. I am expecting I might need some offset spacers to clear the tire.

20240529_151138.jpg
20240529_151157.jpg
20240529_151315.jpg

As I suspected, no true clearance without spacers.

20240529_152303.jpg

With this standard Schwinn crank, looks like there are only enough threads to gain another 3/16"

20240529_152332.jpg

With the dropout extensions I can't use any offset rear cog.

20240529_152440.jpg

I need to dig around and find one of my PHAT cycles cranks. If I remember correctly they have a good amount of threads to allow for chainring offset spacing. Plus, I really like the styling of them.

Found one. You can see it has a good 1/4" more threads than the Schwinn crank. That should give me 7/16" clearance from my first test fit

I also like the angular styling on these. I think I've used them on at least 3 builds.

20240529_154521.jpg
20240529_154844.jpg

One problem with my math is it doesn't take into account the fact you can't space the chainring out beyond the reach of the part of the crank that holds it in place from spinning.

20240529_155908.jpg

Going to look for some this evening. :D
Two words. McMaster-Carr

Shipping out of Atlanta and they'll be in your beautiful garden before the sun goes down!

I know it's not how it was designed to be shown, but what if you just flipped the chainring around? Instead of messing with spacers and what-have-you, just use a chainring where the teeth face out like on a later Murray bike, instead of in like you've got it. Maybe that would solve your clearance issues.

I did that last year on Speedfish and maybe even on Uncle Stretch the year before. This one needs a little more.
Today's test was also with a flat tire.

Even though I love the old TRYGG wishbone kickstand. It was just barely hitting the ground with the rear tire under inflated. I knew it wasn't gonna work when I patched the tire. So I swapped it out with one of these MASSLOAD butterfly stands that I've used before.

View attachment 267502
I'm using the same kind on my build. I had to tighten the allen screw as it was loose when it arrived. I also greased the hinge area and it worked much better.

One problem with my math is it doesn't take into account the fact you can't space the chainring out beyond the reach of the part of the crank that holds it in place from spinning.

View attachment 267519

Total brainfart on that one. The chainring wouldn't be spaced away from the crank (and the piece that hold the chainring still). The spacers go between the chainring and the bearing race. What a dummy.

I did pick up some elevator bolts and carriage bolts from ACE hardware after dinner.
I'll give them a try too.

I'm using the same kind on my build. I had to tighten the allen screw as it was loose when it arrived. I also greased the hinge area and it worked much better.

I've used these Massload kickstands on VerBoten, HEXtreme, and Uncle Stretch

Back