TRADITIONAL 🅵🅾🅾🅻🅸🅶🅰🅽 - 1930s Elgin Oriole

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot that I had this Quickvise when I recently uncovered it in the shop. Works great on the Dewalt table and was perfect for dissecting the Nexus 3 wheelset. Every thing appeared to be in order, even the tightness of the cones before disassembly.

Double checked the cone tightness on reassembly. Then test rode it down the lane. 1st and 2nd were fine, but forward pedaling locks time I go to 3rd.

1000021995.jpg
1000021996.jpg

Removed the wheel and hub again to look closer. The only thing I can visually see is how this one split sleeve band has one lip angled away from the hub. It doesn't look damaged. Does anyone know if this is normal or not?

I also removed the push rods from my Tiki chopper and from Speedfish and both of them are 82mm just like the one I am testing with now.

20240618_160511.jpg
20240618_160520.jpg

Well, that didn't fix it. The cones are borderline too loose now, and it still sticks in 3rd. I'll have to do some more research.

Well, that didn't fix it. The cones are borderline too loose now, and it still sticks in 3rd. I'll have to do some more research.
I don't know if you want to completely take it apart, but this vid is what I would use to inspect and verify all the parts are good.

I don't know if you want to completely take it apart, but this vid is what I would use to inspect and verify all the parts are good.

That is the same video that I watched for reference on looking at all the parts that were free without any spring pins or such

Last edited:
I tinkered around adjusting this. Adjusting that. Changing the pushrod back and forth to the long one. Loosening the cones, tightening the cones. No success.

I did find a reference for which push rod goes with which hub.
  • SG-3C41: 81.85mm (For 168mm Axle)
  • SG-3R40: 86.85mm (For 176.8mm Axle)
  • SG-3D55: 90.75mm (For 192mm Axle)
I don't know which hub I have. I'll have to remove one of the moonies to see. The two size pushrods that I have are the 82mm and the 87mm. It's doubtful that this hub is the biggest hub, but it's possible I guess. I'll know more when I can read what hub it is.

If all else fails, I have a few other Nexus 3 wheels that I could swap the guts out with this one.
Actually, that may be the easiest thing to do. :D

If all else fails, I have a few other Nexus 3 wheels that I could swap the guts out with this one.
Actually, that may be the easiest thing to do. :D
Nope, you gotta do it the hard way, then if that doesn't work, then the easy way. I usually end up doing it the easy way.:headbang:

It is the SG-3C41 hub, so the shorter 82mm pushrod is the right one. I'm gonna go look for one of my other wheels to swap the guts.

20240619_104334.jpg

Change of plans. Went to get in my car and found this.

1000022014.jpg

Change of plans. Went to get in my car and found this.

View attachment 270104

You can plainly see the point of impact from a pointed object. Check doorbell cameras in the area. Maybe use painters tape gently applied on both sides to help keep the glass in place until it can be fixed.
That SUCKS!😧

You can plainly see the point of impact from a pointed object. Check doorbell cameras in the area. Maybe use painters tape gently applied on both sides to help keep the glass in place until it can be fixed.
That SUCKS!😧

Our cameras are more overhead and don't cover past the sidewalk. Already sent texts to neighbors about their cameras, but I'm not hopeful.
Called the police and filed a report. Called the auto glass company that replaced my windshield a few months ago. They'll be able to fix it tomorrow at our house. I thought about using packing tape to strengthen hold the window together, but I think I would be better off to not use the car for today.

Hmmmmm. Bippers that got scared off for some reason before they got all the way in?

Yeah. No one else on the block got hit. Been downtown for 22 years and this is the first time this has happened to us.

Let's not jump to conclusions. Let's merely assume that there was a couple of local squirrels
that were tossing acorns to each other. One thing led to another and it turned into an angry
exchange of whipping walnuts at each other! Jimmy squirrel did a wind up and man, it was
clocked at over 80MPH and headed right for Bobby squirrel's head! Bobby ducked last second
and the walnut beaned your window! THUD! Jimmy and Bobby squirrels froze as the glass did
that creeping crackle. Jimmy squirrel yelled, "What the heck Bobby?! That was your fault!" and
ran away. Bobby just looked around and ran over to the walnut. He quick stuffed it into his jowls
and scampered after Jimmy, back up into the Savanna trees. Darn squirrels! Yeah, there ain't no
security camera gonna pick that up that's for sure.

Let's not jump to conclusions. Let's merely assume that there was a couple of local squirrels
that were tossing acorns to each other. One thing led to another and it turned into an angry
exchange of whipping walnuts at each other! Jimmy squirrel did a wind up and man, it was
clocked at over 80MPH and headed right for Bobby squirrel's head! Bobby ducked last second
and the walnut beaned your window! THUD! Jimmy and Bobby squirrels froze as the glass did
that creeping crackle. Jimmy squirrel yelled, "What the heck Bobby?! That was your fault!" and
ran away. Bobby just looked around and ran over to the walnut. He quick stuffed it into his jowls
and scampered after Jimmy, back up into the Savanna trees. Darn squirrels! Yeah, there ain't no
security camera gonna pick that up that's for sure.
Jimmy should be prosecuted for destruction of property or at least public nuisance

Let’s hold these squirrels accountable

Back