TRADITIONAL 🅵🅾🅾🅻🅸🅶🅰🅽 - 1930s Elgin Oriole

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like natural sponge and steel wool. Between the two can make most textures

View attachment 273178View attachment 273179

And then after you can use the steel wool to take edges down

I picked up some natural sponges on my last run, butt I didn't feel they would do good with the mustard. Didn't think about unravelling some steel wool and making some looser shape out of it. I have a feeling it and the sponge would be like the crumbled tin foil. The mustard is sort of dense so it fills the voids of some pattern tools a little too much, which cancels out any patterning.

I picked up some natural sponges on my last run, butt I didn't feel they would do good with the mustard. Didn't think about unravelling some steel wool and making some looser shape out of it. I have a feeling it and the sponge would be like the crumbled tin foil. The mustard is sort of dense so it fills the voids of some pattern tools a little too much, which cancels out any patterning.
Make sure you’re using the sponge dry and rotating it all the time. Can also cut the mustard (lol) with some vinegar 3-1 or 4-1 depending on consistency

Of course I used Dijon last time so it came with built in texture 🤣

Make sure you’re using the sponge dry and rotating it all the time. Can also cut the mustard (lol) with some vinegar 3-1 or 4-1 depending on consistency

Of course I used Dijon last time so it came with built in texture 🤣

I'm a rookie at this, so no surprise that I didn't "cut the mustard"

With the mustard on the parts outside for this long. I may end up with some fly patterns on the forks :D

With the mustard on the parts outside for this long. I may end up with some fly patterns on the forks :D
Episode 6 GIF by PBS

Still can't paint the mustard. Hope it doesn't matter if the mustard bakes and dries onto the surface.

Still can't paint the mustard. Hope it doesn't matter if the mustard bakes and dries onto the surface.
Maybe you need to test that on your guinea pig fender. Put some mustard on it and let it marinate till tomorrow and then see what happens with another color. If it don't work right, you can clean the dried mustard off the fork with water and start over.

Maybe you need to test that on your guinea pig fender. Put some mustard on it and let it marinate till tomorrow and then see what happens with another color. If it don't work right, you can clean the dried mustard off the fork with water and start over.

Too late for that. Here are pics of the mustard repaint. Followed by 1st coat of satin colonial Red. This first coat os still too tacky for the second coat.

1000023085.jpg
1000023086.jpg
1000023087.jpg

Who knows? Maybe you have stumbled onto a new technique! There are no set rules, it's all made up anyway.

I've got the scrub brush ready for the mustard hose off too. I'll try just water to start. Then maybe an old toothbrush. Then scrub brush. Then beyond that sandpaper for round 3 :D
EDIT: Actually for these two fork parts it would only be round 2

Second coat applied. Time to take a mustard bath

1000023088.jpg

Dried mustard bath is a no go. Jet hose did nothing (pic 1). Scrubbing with stiff brushed removed paint with strong effort, but in the process also kills any finish to the top coats red paint that I want left behind. (Pic 2). I'll sand/clean it up tomorrow for round 2.

I still consider today a success in my mustardedjoomakation

20240715_195617.jpg
20240715_195613.jpg

Back