TRADITIONAL 🅵🅾🅾🅻🅸🅶🅰🅽 - 1930s Elgin Oriole

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the fork shroud masked off for the white sections.

1000023272.jpg
1000023273.jpg

Next, I am going to layout the masking for the undercoat that I want for a pattern on the chainguard.

20240718_192634.jpg

Taped off a sweeping comet shape to complement the tank and fork darts. I'll mustard out the big rust splotches. I am thinking of doing a colonial Red undercoat, then apply the RatRodBikes sticker letters as a mask. Then possibly also mask off a thinner dart down the length in the middle. Then do an ivory Bisque topcoat. So the end result should be mostly ivory comet, with red rrb letters and red smaller red dart down the middle

1000023277.jpg
1000023278.jpg
1000023279.jpg
1000023280.jpg

Am I making it too complex by having both the red and the white on the guard?
Or should I not add any red to the guard and make the letters mask over chrome and possibly have chrome stripe down the middle. You can see in the pic below, that is what Evans did with these.

s-l1200.jpg

Here is a side shot of the bike for reference

1000023206.jpg

Last edited:
I like the example of the guard above. The front end of the build is tied nicely together with your red and off-white. Carrying just the white through to the chain guard would be cool.

I like the example of the guard above. The front end of the build is tied nicely together with your red and off-white. Carrying just the white through to the chain guard would be cool.

I added a recent side view of the bike for reference. Do you like the rounded comet that I taped off, or do you think a pointed front would be better?

The rounded comet you have taped out looks good. I don't know why
I just don't like the Evans motif on the chainguard. But that's just me.

Thanks. I think the white comet on the chainguard that I've taped off is also a little thicker than the Evans javelin.

Last edited:
I added a recent side view of the bike for reference. Do you like the rounded comet that I taped off, or do you think a pointed front would be better?

So, is the red tape on the cones in front of the springs the part that will be the off-white to match the light shrouds?

When I look at the white on the tank, and the darts on the frame below, they all have the open end of the 'cone' (where the ice cream sits) facing forward. But the red cone taped part tapers forward, the opposite of the light shroud.

Somewhere along the line I saw a proposed look where the white on the fork 'crown' top, whatever it is, was the same taper as the light shroud. Excuse my primitive Paint methods...

And then maybe paint the front pointy ends to match your springs and the fork braces?

kf front end close up.jpg

So, is the red tape on the cones in front of the springs the part that will be the off-white to match the light shrouds?

When I look at the white on the tank, and the darts on the frame below, they all have the open end of the 'cone' (where the ice cream sits) facing forward. But the red cone taped part tapers forward, the opposite of the light shroud.

Somewhere along the line I saw a proposed look where the white on the fork 'crown' top, whatever it is, was the same taper as the light shroud. Excuse my primitive Paint methods...

And then maybe paint the front pointy ends to match your springs and the fork braces?

View attachment 273623

My question you were replying too was actually about the chainguard. I edited it to be more clear.

But to answer your question on the fork, The wing cones will be painted like this. Mostly red, with with a dart that is the inverse of the fork shroud points.

1000023247.jpg

I like the rounded front for the graphic on the guard. I like the red and white and also just the white. And the RRBs logo looks great on there. Or maybe a Ratfink something or other?

Back