🏁 LE MIRAGE - An update.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of good photos there. The shop photo has a nice 'hot rod car shop' vibe; but the detail on the bike build itself isn't as clear as some others. These are my top two favs for your Final Photo:

Number 1: The background really let's your bike show off all your work well, and the old bridge has a real 'ratty ' look to it and adds to the mood. Also the matching helmet and backpack are nice props.

View attachment 237164

In this other photo, my Number 2 pick, your bike just 'pops' (I hate the overuse of that phrase, but in this case, that's what it does!) with the sun hitting it!

View attachment 237165
I second this... 🙋‍♂️

Supplemental:

The taller 'Urban Velo' stem arrived today and what a huge difference to the comfort it makes - it needed re-cabling, but now the line of my eye to bars is directly over the front axle with thumbs resting on the brake hoods - optimum according to the bike fitting pages.
Not as aesthetically pleasing as the flat/race quill, but I can use all of the handlebars comfortably now.

158.jpg

159.jpg

157.jpg

154.jpg

155.jpg

It did need a good polish though :)

153.jpg

I was thinking about how old this bike is - and what I was doing when it was brand new in 1982.
I doubt the bike was in Australia at the time - it had a sticker from a Portland Oregon Bike Shop on it - but I was living back in Sydney after a few years on the road.
The record player and the late night TV sounded like this.

I was riding an XS1100 and my pal Grant had a Z1.

z1 and xs1100.jpg

And I was driving one of these:
1980-holden-1.jpg

Last edited:
Sixty-four and still doesn't know what he wants to do when he grows up. I blame motorcycles and bicycles.

View attachment 237772
And that shot shows just how much fun that bike will be. Something that eats the miles while travelling around some of
the best views in the Bayside. That keeps the body working well.

I bet all you had to say to the dogs was, "Want to go to the big park?" and they practically leaped into the car!

I like this photo somewhere in your Finished Thread as well:

bdc night photo.jpg

Great mood setting photo showing the bike in it's natural habitat. I had a similar one during this past Winter Build Off (Northern hemisphere Winter) with my Skinny Class build "50, Skinny, and Single".

302024094_1211818596068698_4218878413465930926_n.jpg

1971 Schwinn Racer, modified for single speed on 700c wheels with 32 mm tires, custom BACK40 wood fenders and guard, and of course; lights. I commuted to the bike shop regularly through the Fall on this last year.

Last edited:
I figure as I'm now running modern USB lighting, and the bike is in regular service, I can do without the giant front reflector. It's not a genuine part anyway.
But that left the head badge much more visible - I had it painted all white - but fortunately I had some modeller's acrylic that is just-about the right colour in stock ... so ...

badge.jpg

I was a bit surprised to see the big reflectors as I don't really remember them before around the 1990s, but then I thought maybe I just didn't pay enough attention. They look OK for a bike that has to exist now, but they do remind me of my Romet bikes I ride from the 1970s and 1980s that have no front brake, just a coaster brake, and I sometimes wonder whether I should put a front brake on :)

Yeah - I remember big reflectors on my Dragsters in the early 70's.

This came with 'em - or the rear one and the front hardware anyhoo. But looking at the brochures - non standard.

This bike has been modified a few times in its life. The gear shifters are definitely not in the standard position and the suicide levers are not original either.

I had the reflectors on as a 'period piece' - but as you say ...

I did a few other change ups tonight as well. Vid to follow.

Supplemental:

The taller 'Urban Velo' stem arrived today and what a huge difference to the comfort it makes - it needed re-cabling, but now the line of my eye to bars is directly over the front axle with thumbs resting on the brake hoods - optimum according to the bike fitting pages.
Not as aesthetically pleasing as the flat/race quill, but I can use all of the handlebars comfortably now.

View attachment 237645

View attachment 237644

View attachment 237646
View attachment 237647

View attachment 237648

It did need a good polish though :)

View attachment 237649
Fantastic workshop!

Back