Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bikes in the ad look kinda plain, having never seen a colson it makes me wonder. I thought all the cool old bikes had fender lights and reflectors.
Still have ALOT to learn about the oldies.

Being this bike is from '36, it was more common to have bikes like this rather than super streamlined tank bikes with accessories. This was the common man bicycle. Marketed more toward adults rather than kids.

That makes sense, the difference between modern man buying a farm truck or a sport truck.

Also that ad I posted isn't exactly the same as the model I have. Mine is a little more deluxe than the one shown.

Meeting Brian for lunch Monday to get the bike.

Just a heads up,

I plan on refurbishing this bike and keeping it original. No repaint. Using all original parts I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the perfect plan for that bike. I'm totally new to vintage bikes as well. Neat to see one built with a low geegaw factor.

Picked up the Colson today. After a light wipe down on the fork crown I can tell the black paint it's going to come back nicely.

1cfccb8e8e8eca293d8d66e4d4156a58.jpg

3db08b67c6fdaf605e48737a5e4b7d9b.jpg

9dc7d8ca5f0ca02857e80b71d7eec6d3.jpg

Man, you are working fast!!!! I only turned that over to you a few hours ago. Can't wait to see the fenders and guard pop like the frame. Great to see you again my friend. Enjoy the ride!

Bike smokes good, like a Chesterfield should....oh wait, I think I got my signs mixed up in your shop! Great looking work space, like the mix of background images....is that a Muddy Fox bicycle banner ? (I can only see the "Muddy"..) That's gotta be a rare one!
You got a good, ratty, original patina bike there. The deals goin' down in Hot-lanta today....

Bike smokes good, like a Chesterfield should....oh wait, I think I got my signs mixed up in your shop! Great looking work space, like the mix of background images....is that a Muddy Fox bicycle banner ? (I can only see the "Muddy"..) That's gotta be a rare one!
You got a good, ratty, original patina bike there. The deals goin' down in Hot-lanta today....

Yes! It's a muddy fox banner. I found it in an old bike shop rolled up in the back room.

Making the most of my day off. One of the most time consuming yet most rewarding jobs; cleaning the crank, sprocket and BB.

Every Colson i've refurbished had a ton of old harden grease coating the crank and sprocket. In the long run there is no better way to preserve it.

125194d7343005bfb0d963b8a3caa20f.jpg

304f6d3efa1225c97507a7475cf08c01.jpg

Unfortunately the Chainguard bracket was broken. But no worries. They reproduced a similar bracket for a similar guard. These bracket are meant to be adjustable so it's as simple as taking the old bracket off and putting the repop on. Lucky I already had a repop bracket.

6c1c7f0b46dccf7da64f2a761fff061c.jpg

Cleaned and cleared the guard...

24d2806f5721fdbe83f92a2de2259d2a.jpg

New bracket looks good.

e1581ead040bacb071b64c0b974913ed.jpg

When I refurbish a bike I'm not looking to bring the bike back to original condition...that would be a restoration. What I'm trying to do is restore the patina the bike might have gotten from 20-30 year of use. No heavy rust, just smooth patina.

I've been wanting to use this for awhile now. I picked this up at the swap meet I host here in north Georgia last November.

I'm guessing Tyler Tx? (My name is Tyler)

Anyways, if I do this right, this bike should look like it should be sitting at the bay door of a speed shop in 1966.

e9944a4ab928f24b64b8b5134c790b6b.jpg

Back