20" Springer Fork Issue. Please Help.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FOR THE LOVE OF MIKE!

You got the wrong length Steer Tube.

(easy mistake)

Ask me how I know

The combined 'stack' appears too long for the assembly, it was made to fit together with that shorter steer tube. I believe some simple fabrication of an extension, welded on, of that bracket (or a complete longer bracket) that goes on the steer tube and mounts the spring could get you there.
Id unbolt the spring up there and put a washer and nut on to compress it to assembled length, and mount up the legs at the bottom. Then you can eyeball the fit to get an idea how you may be able to modify that bracket.

gcrank1 said:
Id unbolt the spring up there and put a washer and nut on to compress it to assembled length, and mount up the legs at the bottom. Then you can eyeball the fit to get an idea how you may be able to modify that bracket.

Brilliant! I will try this this evening.

What do I need to do here?

100_0554.jpg

100_0553.jpg

Do I need different parts? A whole new fork? What?
Hi I know I’m a bit late but I have the same problem, do you think a bent 26” fork would work?

Hi I know I’m a bit late but I have the same problem, do you think a bent 26” fork would work?
Distance between top and mid holes on the leg is what matters. If you have already bought the fork you can try to get away with the adapter plates to raise the leg up to the level of the crown.

Distance between top and mid holes on the leg is what matters. If you have already bought the fork you can try to get away with the adapter plates to raise the leg up to the level of the crown.
Do you know where I could find one of these adapter plates because I already have the 20” forks

Do you know where I could find one of these adapter plates because I already have the 20” forks
You'd have to fabricate it. I gave it a quick search, since i am sure i saw the isntruction somewhere here on this forum, but didn't find it. I'd take a closer look and post you a link. I remember someone did it at the build off on the bike that was blue :D But unfortunately that's just not enough to find the original thread :)

Since you will have to do some modifying, here's what I would try.

1. Mount the spring cage by itself to the top bracket, no legs on the cage.

2. Then mount just the legs to the lower part with the bolt.

3. See how much distance between where the legs go up to and where they normally should bolt to the spring cage. It is probably about an inch to an inch and a half.

4. Make up extensions from some pieces of metal about the same size as the top of the fork legs. Drill some holes in them and bolt them all together. You'll need 4 of them to bolt up the support rods also.

If it doesn't work, at least you haven't changed anything permanently. Your spring is at the correct angle and your wheel position is the same.

spring fork1.jpg

I mocked it all up and actually don’t need 4, I only need extender pieces for the legs, not the support rods as I mounted them outside the crown like the Un-Fairlady post. And yes you’re correct I’m off by about an inch to the crown, over the next week I’ll work out some extenders.

That's right, you'll only be needing only two extenders, but be sure the bolts are tightened well as that point will take a lot of stress. I thought of using 4 mainly for looks. I've had a couple of those springers that didn't fit like yours but let the spring bolt bend or stay at a loose angle to make up the difference. The spring wasn't in line so they didn't look right or work smoothly. I'd like to see how your extenders work out.

The missing distance is the same distance between holes on the bottom of an old sissy bar I have, it’s pretty thick and already chrome so we will see how that works

5A52077B-74EA-4F66-8497-6646F4F85CB1.jpeg
It worked! Still needs some cleaning up and matching bolts but other than that the small bump in the road has been fixed, thank you all for your help and I can now keep the project going (it only has primer on it because it’s been too cold to paint). Time to keep ordering parts :)

It looks like it was made that way from the factory.:113: The cage isn't exactly in line, but it's so close it's hardly noticeable. It looks like it can be adjusted upward where the locknut holds the brace. The rear of the spring cage needs to go up very slightly to have the spring exactly in line. But it's great just like that too.

i don’t think I’ll mess with it anymore, it’s up to my standards as a kid who can’t even drive yet haha, I only spent like 15-20 minutes on it and I can perfect it later once the bike is mostly done

Back