50's Columbia 20"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am building this one for my Grandson, 6yrs old. It may be a little too big for him now, but he's growing like a weed. 1950's 20 inch Columbia (I think, correct me if I'm wrong). I got this frame from another member on this site, but don't recall who. Some of you may recognize it as I believe it was used on one of the previous build offs. Stripped the frame, then sandblasted & then powder coated it. Plans include a bent springer & some apes off an old Stingray for it. I'm gonna take my time with this one, as I have a lot of other projects going right now. Pics attached.
jakebike.jpg

jakebike001.jpg

jakebike002.jpg

jakebike003.jpg

Looks great, nice color. I plan on doing the same thing for my son when he gets about 5, he's 3 now. I also want to take a 50's straight bar 20" and build it with a springer but keep both front and back wheels in 20" with white walls, so it will look like a mini version of one of my bikes. Do keep us posted with pics as it comes along.

Hey Pick,

That's one cool bike!
Really nice job on the Powder Coating 8)
I think a very big tire can fit in back :lol:

Looking forward to more

ks roadmaster said:
hay
Pick
you doing power coating ? :D

Yes sir, I do! If it will fit in my oven I can do it. Mainly doing single stage colors right now. My oven is 36"x36"x36" inside dimensions.

MplsCoaster said:
Hey Pick,

That's one cool bike!
Really nice job on the paint 8)
I think a very big tire can fit in back :lol:

Looking forward to more

Trust me buddy, I will put the biggest back tire on it that will fit! He doesn't even care, but I do. The more radical the better IMO! He's young enough he can adjust to riding anything, unlike his grandpa! :lol: :lol:

udallcustombikes said:
I have your parts set out and ready to bring to ya at the Bike Fest. The truck is gonna end up looking like this again.

2011-04-16163845.jpg

I think you need to add a 3rd level to that thing. Your garage is probably still full!!! Actually, I think I now have a couple of those bikes in the picture! :lol: :lol: I will have your parts as well. See ya there! Save me a spot. 8) :mrgreen:

Hey Ratina! Powder coated the frame & gathering up parts. After seeing your picture of it, I'm thinking about building it close to the same way. That had an awesome look to it. Gonna use a bent springer & it's gotta have apes, cause my grandson wants them. I will give you an update when I get a little further with it. I had forgotten who I got it from! That's what happens when you get old. :mrgreen:

ratina said:
Thats actually a 26" straight springer with the spring removed. Would look good with a 20" bent springer though!

I figured it was a 24 or 26, but think that may be too much rake for the little guy! I'll post some more pics when progress is made. 8)

The "Bratz" bikes have a bent springer that is in between the straight and the bent lowrider springers. It is perfect for younger ones who want the bent look without sacrificing rideability. hope this helps.

I finally got some time to do some mock up work on this bike. I have two springers, not sure which one I will use yet, but wanted to get an idea how it would look. May go with a 26" springer with the spring removed like ratina originally had on this bike (awesome look!). Got the seat just the other day from nwt76. Seat matches the frame perfect. Rusty apes will get some kind of treatment to freshen them up, as well as the springer.
jakesbikebuild002.jpg

Thanks SCHWINNRAY69! But I'm not really liking the bent springer. May have to do the 26" straight with the spring either cut down or removed like ratina had it when he build it.

pick said:
Thanks SCHWINNRAY69! But I'm not really liking the bent springer. May have to do the 26" straight with the spring either cut down or removed like ratina had it when he build it.

Either way will look cool 8)

Just a havin a hard time making up my mind up on it. Don't really want the lowrider look & kinda prefer the chopper look, but also want it to be rideable. :?:

Hey Pick,
That frame is incredible especially after hangin' the parts on it!
We should have had build off :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=48122
Your powder-coated frame would've have won hands down.

Got a similar seat and sissy bar on the way
Can't wait to see what you decide on the rest :D

BTW: the powder coated parts for the auction bike are off-the-charts cool.

Latest posts

Back