50's higgins pragstreet makeover klunkerish

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
well i have seen a lot of low rider bicycles built however i have not seen too many low rider bomb themed bikes
so, i decided to do something about that.
build one for my own.
basically anyone in the low rider community knows a low rider bomb is a vintage car usually 30's that is almost all original except the hydraulics are installed and different wheels.and decked to the max
so with that being said, that is my plan here.
going to build mean green up to original specs as close as i can get,gonna run some custom wheels, and gonna deck him out with everything available for this era.
if anyone has input on what accessories were available to a 50's Higgins let me know as i do not know a lot about these bikes just know they are cool,
i do not know what model this is,it may even be a Murray, but you get the point anything accessorized in the 50's for this bike if i can afford it, im gonna put it on.
also in the spirit of low rider theme i plan to get the frame media blasted as well as the fenders and get it painted in candy paint possibly green or maybe the original red with a few accents.
that's the plan lets see how close we get to it.here is my starting point
mean green with all his original components i have left.

and photos of my inspiration i do not own these photos i just borrowed them off different websites so as much as i wish i owned these classic beauties sadly i do not but they are my inspiration to this build

so now i gotta go thru my parts piles and see what i got and what i need to make and/or buy
more updates soon
sean

good question
i was thinking of running 24 inch wheels on it and modifying the drops so the wheels sit correctly.
as far as the fork, i don't want to put a springer as i feel these are kinda overplayed, be it they do look cool.
but im still working out the differences and doing some mockup to get the look i want and if any frame mods need to be done i can do them before i paint it.
i'm gonna do a little trial and error type of mockup to see what will work.
more updates and pics soon
Sean

i like that idea
the forks are already bent back anyways so i was gonna swap them out.
but im not against bending them forward.
i might try that.
thanks for the idea i like it.
sean

well after looking at wheels i decided it won't be a lowrider per say but i am gonna go with the bomb theme
gonna run some 26 inch fan wheels on it with whitewalls.
i still may notch the drops a bit and bend the forks but we shall see.

I like the look of those type of vehicles, I've always wanted something like that just never had the money. It'll be cool to see a bicycle built with all the period perfect old school accessories, whitewalls and fan wheels. Nice.

thank Sean i would love to own just one of those cars but
im in the same situation never had the money to own one i think my most expensive car was maybe 900 bucks and barely drivable lol.
but yeah i can't wait to get the parts for this they had some cool bike accessories back in those days.'
thanks hxcforever.the vision is actually something i been wanting to see but never have usually when i see lowrider bikes their almost always sting rays or muscle-bikes. and their always chopped up. im going with a different approach on this one,
more updates soon/
sean

well not a lot of progress but i got some mockup work done with old junk parts.
im thinking of ruining a set of typhoon cord tires as the back one only not cracked up.
gonna attempt to use the bendix hub as well on the new wheels if i can do so.
so here is the mockup of the parts i have.
chain held together with old spoke (brilliant!:crazy:)
that's all i got for now til i get more parts.
Sean

I've always loved traditional lowrider vehicles. Slam it on some gangster whitewall and cruise around
yup that's exactly what im doing.
i have always loved traditional lowriders myself and one of my cars ive always wanted to own was a lowrider bomb since i cannot afford one i will go with the next best thing lol.

Great project! Reminds me of my bomba project (that I still did not finish). I think, I should start again.

You should start again Crank!Basti your bombita was one of the best projects/bikes I've seen on this site. I hope burrkrayecycles project can motivate you to keep going on ur project.

These Bomba bikes are truly different from most of the bikes we usually see. You guys are definitely thinking outside the box and that's pretty cool in my book.

You should start again Crank!Basti your bombita was one of the best projects/bikes I've seen on this site. I hope burrkrayecycles project can motivate you to keep going on ur project.

These Bomba bikes are truly different from most of the bikes we usually see. You guys are definitely thinking outside the box and that's pretty cool in my book.
thanks donqui i am trying to be different and original even though this concept has been around a long time. this particular build is going very slowly mainly because i cannot find the parts i want but i am not giving up
crankbasti i would llvoe to see you're build! maybe it will get me out of my builders block im having with this one im kinda stuck on what to do first but im sure it will come around eventually
thanks for sharing guys
Sean

well i found a very large seat in my pile o parts i will be using it was on my wife's amf super 10 which is on the restore block at the moment.so im gonna use that seat off that one.
im working on getting a sachs 2 speed wheel i hope i can run on the back as well as truss rod forks i am hoping to find a pair.
other then that not a lot is going on with this one. mainly just throwing ideas around and trying to see what looks good and what i hate.
more updates and pics coming soon
Sean

Back