54' CWC Military Build - pretty much done..I think

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Alright, so I FINALLY finished my grandson's Lil Tiger that I started on last winter! :roll: I kept putting it on the back burner then I started my RRBBO7 bikes and next thing I knew, summer was over. My grandson just turned 2, so it wasn't a huge rush. Anyway, here is a pic of it...I've since added the rest of the decals and streamers. I'll get a proper photo shoot of it in the near future.

greentiger.jpg

I've been collecting parts for a few months to use on various projects over the winter. I've posted a few pics here and there. There is a local show coming up Saturday 11/3 at DaddyKatz. I am taking "Grumpy" aka the Hot Rod Higgins to enter in the show, but I've decided that I want to build a nice rat to take as well. I figure that I have about 5-6 days to nail this thing. Here are the potential candidates. What do you think?

Murray built frame with Western Flyer Jet Plane graphics
flyer2.jpg

1954 CWC built Western Flyer (I'm using this fork unless I go with the red bike below...)
western1.jpg

Red on red JC Higgins
red_higgins.jpg

Re: Rat bike build in 6 days?

For a quick rat bike build, I'd go with the Murray-built WF, that Higgy looks familiar :roll: :mrgreen: Let's build some twins, I take it from your username you were born in 66, so was I!

Dude, it's like fate or something! It would be a hoot!

DSCF3627.jpg

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. T...that is crazy! We should do a build off (for fun!). Let me get ready for this show on 11/3 and then we'll do something. PM me sometime and lets talk. I wonder if anyone had ever started with identical bikes and did a buildoff?

Terry

like the Murray :wink:

Decided to go with the black CWC. Most of the parts I have lying around are for a military theme build I'm planning. The CWC has the worst patina so its going to be the future military bike. Basically this quick build is going to be the military mock up. I'll slap it together, make sure everything fits, put it int the rat contest, then tear it down, paint it green and build it back! I've got killer plans for the "jet" bike and the red higgins I need to give more thought.

Here was a surprise....The right side of the tank has this white graphic design...the other side was flat black. I decided to lightly sand to removed the flat paint and found this underneath. Still not great patina, but this is pretty cool!

rb1.jpg

Ok, first up is the chainguard. I have several chainguards for Murray built frames, but I don’t have one for the CWC. I had a cool blue Western Flyer frame that I bought at a swap meet for $5 that I am going to modify. First thing I did was shot it with black paint. I didn’t strip is down as I wanted to give it some patina and a rat feel. I have to fight the urge to make it slick and pretty.

The mounting bracket wasn’t going to work, so I chiseled it off. The CWC and Murray frames are not even close! I decided to mount the guard to the seat tube.
rb3.jpg

I took a scratch pad to the black paint and brought out the Western Flyer logo and also around the edges a little. I also dropped it on the ground a few times for effect. Then I lined up the mounting bracket to the seat tube and drilled out some mounting holes.
rb2.jpg

Used a couple fender bolts to mount the bracket in place. I went back and touched up the new parts with the black. Seems like a perfect fit.
rb4.jpg

Dr. Tankenstein said:
that Higgy looks familiar :roll: :mrgreen: Let's build some twins, I take it from your username you were born in 66, so was I!

Dude, it's like fate or something! It would be a hoot!

twins-movie-image.jpg

Re: Now my Military Build - with updates!

I hate when this happens. So, I am all geared up for the upcoming DaddyKatz show and find out a few days ago it is cancelled! I guess that means I don’t have to knock this rat build out in 6 days. I really liked the direction this bike was going, so I am going to continue with it except rather than rushing through it, I am going to take a little more time and build a “military” rat bike. I am not looking to duplicate a true military bike. I am more looking at it from a rat/custom build. I am guessing it will end up with fatty tires, apes, etc. Anyway, on with the show.

Just for reference here is where I started. As you can see from the pic, the fork is rough. It was first painted red and then painted blue. I mean painted as in every nut, bolt, spring, etc. I am not sure what people are thinking when they do things like that.

western1.jpg

When taking the fork apart, the acorn nuts broke off the top truss rod. I stopped by my cousin’s house who is a hot rodder from way back. He let me use his sandblaster on the fork parts and was able to fab a new truss rod in no time. I had stopped by Lowes and picked up a rod and with a quick jig build and some heat, we had a part as good if not better than new!

Here are the tins after the sandblaster. I’ve since cleaned them up and they are ready for primer/paint.

rb12.jpg

The springer parts after the paint being blasted off and then a little wirewheel and buffing. I had thought about painting them flat black, but I think I like the raw metal look. Maybe I’ll shoot with them clear and roll with it. I don’t want to get too clean and pretty with this.

rb11.jpg

Here’s a better shot of the homemade upper truss rod.

rb10.jpg

Even though the fork is a Higgins Beehive, the bike is a Western Flyer, so I bought these vinyl decals for the forks. Vinyl just doesn’t fit with the theme, so I shot the blades white, then added the decals.

rb8.jpg

rb9.jpg

rb7.jpg

Finally I shot the fork with the drab green, stripped off the decals and did a mock up assembly with the parts. I wanted to reuse all the parts, so the parts that were too small to sandblast, I took to the wirewheel. I reused every single nut, bolt and washer. I'm not sure I have the rockers mounted right, but I'll check out some others.

rb6.jpg

Going to start shooting the tins tonight and start getting the frame ready…

Re: 54' CWC Military Build - with updates!

Forks turned out really nice.
Your rockers are mounted correctly, if you swap the rockers it will push the tire farther out.
Kenny

Thanks! I liked the way it turned out as well. I painted the tins today and had "US ARMY" stencils made for the tanks. I started stripping down the frame and I got a set of 24X3 Thickbricks in cream. I'll post pics tomorrow of the progress!

The fork is done and I got the tins and the frame all painted flat drab green today. I stopped by the local flea market yesterday and had some stencils made for the tank graphics. I plan to shoot them with white paint. Here are the tank pieces...

rb13.jpg

Here are the stencils
rb14.jpg

I hope to start final assembly yet tonight or tomorrow!

LOL....well, I might be the only person following this build, but I got the frame stripped and the tins completed. I managed to get both sides of the tank looking sharp. I decided to use a ratty looking crank/chainring. Not sure I like the chainguard, so I might change that. I got the rear wheel/tire mounted. The CWC has plenty of room for a 24X3. I plan to get the beehive put on tomorrow and then get to the detail pieces.

rb16.jpg

Re: 54' CWC Military Build - We're rollin'

Got the fork and front wheel all mounted. The truss rod we made is a little long, so I need to cut the length and cut another 1/4 of threads. Should have that wrapped up tomorrow. I need to decide on apes, drag or regular cruiser bars. I think this is going to be wrapped up this weekend. Still need to figure out how to mount the ammo cases as saddle bags. Looking for something unique and different.

rb17.jpg

Re: 54' CWC Military Build - We're rollin'

Beautiful build thus far. 8)

Real nice attention to detail and the cream Thick Bricks are perfect! :D

Latest posts

Back