56T: Finished (with new pics)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks MazdaFlyer, Luke, and KF:)
RM, Hopefully the colors work, other than in my head LOL
We'll see how I can pull off the bug eyes Pick...

So I sandblasted the fenders and fork this week
The Schwinn fenders are pretty rough
and will probably spend most of my time getting them right :rolleyes:

Think I can get the fenders centered on the tires with enough clearance,
but I'll have to be a make a bracket for the front. Not quite lined up right yet...
IMG_0680II.jpg

I like the rake of the fork :)

The frame has several holes which makes the rear fender alignment easier
but I'll have to fill a mounting hole on top.
IMG_0681II.jpg

Plan on getting a small ball peen hammer to get the dents out of the fenders
and probably have to use some body filler to get them smooth enough for a glossy paint job

Here is my first attempt at maybe what I can do with the tank
IMG_0683II.jpg

There are mounting holes in the plate so it should make it a little easier

We'll I'm glad I got it going, now I have spring chores
and some other bikes built so slow going...

Thanks for looking
Steve

sweet cant wait for the next update

Hey 2Wheels, I'm kinda freak about tires so I won't say that they are bad. Skipton kinda nailed it when he pointed out that they ave a wide contact patch and I agree.

Being wide, they grip and look great. But like the Solanas, they seemed (to me) to have a higher rolling resistance. I recently switch to Tioga City Slickers on my Shelby and love the difference. City slickers are 66 tpi, have a really round profile, and a center groove. That's just my $.02 (and that's probably all its worth LOL)

Not much of an update Scribble but hear goes:

I sandblasted the frame and tank.
The primer seemed to stick better to this type of surface when I did it on Mag Ray.
IMG_0707II.jpg

Still trying to figure out how I going fill the mounting hole on the fender.
Maybe braze then body filler? Any ideas?

Just 2 more bikes to fix before the swap meet next week then I can give my build more attention.

Thanks for looking
Steve

Thanks 2wheels and Charlie:)

I found some Doodads at the MN Antique and Classic Bike Meet last weekend
This reflector fits perfectly perfectly
IMG_0899II.jpg

I couldn't find any small matching headlights
but I found this crazy rack and think I can use it for the twin headlights and mount
IMG_0902II.jpg

Not the whole thing but straighten the bar frame and mount it somehow...
Will attempt my first real LED conversion too :)
IMG_0901II.jpg

Am done with most of the bikes before I could get to 56T, only the GTO fix up now ;)

I'll dig in real soon

Thanks for looking
Steve

Cool strange rack and neat doodads.

Mock up and promise

Sorry, it's been almost a month :eek::eek:
I've did get 2 bikes built (that I wanted to sell but didn't :rolleyes:) then get some more bikes ready for the In laws coming to town.

But I swear I will get this bike done!! It's mostly going to be getting the fenders straight and the seat post laid back (one in photo doesn't fit) Maybe I'll have to get a package from IA...

Thanks Luke, I'm looking at combining 2 racks, the one is too small alone, we'll see...

Thanks Kingfish. Saw someone else using one (in a different way thankfully LOL). My Wife bought it a few years back so now it's mine ;)

Thanks Ren Man! The crash bars would have been cool but they were welded to the rest. Plus I need to keep the parts a little lighter since the attach "Insert tab A into Slot B" and may not hold much weight.

Okay so I'm just going to post my mock up since I don't have much done yet.
This is the general idea:
IMG_0547.jpg

I think the partial car ornament fits the build and the lights should work okay.
IMG_0912.jpg

I've got to burn some vacation days before the end of July so at least a couple will go to straightening the fenders (with my new body hammer and dolly set :))

Now I'm going to have to get another camera for my final shots too :rolleyes:

I almost ready to go full tilt soon
Thanks for looking
Steve

Hey ya got 3 weeks before ya really have to build it... plenty of time...

Carl.

I like the little hoodie for the little hood of the tank.

Thanks Luke, I'm kicking it in full tilt this week
Yeah I know, Carl, but it seems to go so fast :eek:
Thanks Kingfish, I think it looks kinda like a hoodi on the 56:)
Thanks Jake, I'm trying...

So I'm on staycation this week and am trying to get a ton done.Tuesday was body work, and did it need a lot :eek:. Tried fitting everything up before the paint so I would scratch the heck out of it (just yet).

Got the second rack to fit on the first rack and now it needs some paint. The chrome was not too good anyway, and I'm leaving a bit on the end like the lower reflector. Think the look decent together. Hints of a 56 Chev (hopefully?)
IMG_0072.jpg

Got the front tank cover trimmed (supposed to look similar to the wing angle :rolleyes:) Drilled the hoodie mount hole, and trimmed back some of the mounting metal to make it attach better and I can put some trim so it won't (hopefully) scratch up the frame. The lights need some work yet.
IMG_0079.jpg

Let me say that I have a new appreciation for all the full fendered builds. You guys are incredible!!

I really challenged myself with putting Schwinn fenders on a Murray frame with a Euro fork :eek::rolleyes:. But that's the vision that driving me. There is a lot of work to get it all fitting right.

Worked on the rear fender mounts so they would look centered but only so well. Think the whitewall would make the frame mount look worse so I'm rethinking them.
6ea1d1c2-5ad0-4476-b571-cc4a332a403f.jpg

Hated the reflector bolt staring angrily at my tire so I trimmed it and put a gently captured nut on it, phew
reflector.jpg

Worked on the front fender mount on the euro fork. Also used my new hammer and dolly set quite a bit to get the fenders somewhat straightened.
IMG_0091.jpg

Filled the old mounting holes with a small piece of screen and JBWeld. Seemed to work out okay. Both fenders were getting Bondo too.

I got everything primed yesterday and I'm painting color today. So those will have to be posted in the next few days. Now I got back to paintin'

I feel bad that I haven't been able to follow all the cool build that are going on as close as I want. I'm looking forward to checking them out better when I'm done. I am lurking though...

Thanks for looking
Steve

Latest posts

Back