__-~^^~-__ BERKSHIRE __-~^^~-__

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! That is really coming out sharp and clean!!!!! Everything is just fitting together so well.

Love the grips!!! But I'm surprised you went with that seat instead of the older Brooks style one... The bike looks incredible either way:grin:

Love the grips!!! But I'm surprised you went with that seat instead of the older Brooks style one... The bike looks incredible either way:grin:

Some truths:
Ian doesn't like Brooks saddles
Uncle Stretch doesn't like Schwinn
Deorman doesn't like bended metal goose necks

Haha, it's all good. Skip knows me well. I like these Asian-made seats. They have a narrow profile like the racing saddles on my road bikes, but just enough of a classic look. I won't argue for a minute that an old leather saddle would look better. But I like a little new blended with the old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the way the fenders hug the tires! Cool bike.:cool2:
ebanuma6.jpg

Ya I got lucky with the tire fit. It was just a guess.

Still having problems with drivetrain. It's really crunchy. I think the chain doesn't like the Iver chainring. I will try another chain. I hope it's not the chainring. I really like the way it looks.

I hooked up the Lucas odometer tonight. I love this thing. It's so small. I might get more for my other bikes. Here's a video - poor phone quality:

Last edited:
I've got some really thick chain from the 30's if you don't have any that work.

Are there different skippy chains? Some thicker than others? I don't know brand or vintage of one I'm using.

Are there different skippy chains? Some thicker than others? I don't know brand or vintage of one I'm using.

Shoot, forgot you were using skiptooth. The chain off that '38 Comet I picked up has a massive chain! Much thicker than all the others I have.

Oh it's not a skippy?

This nice vintage bell will be going on. It was made in East Hampton, CT, just 20 miles from where I live. The factory burned down recently.

bunegasu.jpg

I'm still struggling with drivetrain. I think I've figured it out. The chain is stretched bad. When it's installed, I can pull it off the forward facing part of the chainring.

e3u9yhe7.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still struggling with drivetrain. I think I've figured it out. The train is stretched bad. When it's installed, I can pull it off the forward facing part of the chainring.

e3u9yhe7.jpg

That's an unfortunately common thing with skiptooth chains. I'm not sure why they are more susceptible then 1/2" chains, but they seem to be.

DS, this is first skip tooth setup I've had trouble with. Perhaps I got lucky, but my others are smooth. Maybe skippies were made to wide open tolerances in general.

PNA, did I buy this frame from you? I can't remember.

Maybe skippies were made to wide open tolerances in general.

A few thoughts on that. Life was different in those times.

1. The one family car took dad to work. No rides to the (non-existent) mall.
2. No video games. Go outside and play.
3. No school bus if you're only a mile away.
4. You don't need a new bike/chain/tire, the old one still works.
5. It's the hand-me-down or nothing, new bikes cost money.
6. You can have a car when you can pay for it yourself.

Latest posts

Back