A Zombie Reborn - the build thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Starting from scratch with newly arrived tubes and materials. The fork I’ve had for ages.

0718A1B7-747C-471E-8687-9B963343A9E4.jpeg

Below is the inspiration. Thought I had started it in some other BO, but I can’t seem to find it. The Phone says it’s from Jan. 2018, hmmm. I should search the Winter BO threads! Was never completed, anyway.
F575AFF9-B84F-4055-AB63-807FA844529E.jpeg

If you look inside the lid of my toolbox, you might get an idea of the Name & Theme.
B6F1E0A9-2B0F-4084-9118-3D9FB5ABB212.jpeg

It’ll be a slow process as I work out of town half the month, but even my wife says I need a “me” project after a year of house remodelling. 😁

Ahh yes, WBO 2018.
It’s-a-bird
And I -for some reason- decided to nix that beautifully curved top tube and try some twin top tube stuff, then got busy and never finished.

I have no idea. Saved the pic though cause it looks cool. Let’t see how I do this time! :21:

Looking back over your "It's-a-bird" thread, I remember that one. You had some beautiful lines going on that one. Looking forward to the remix!

Back from a road trip. My wife and I took a nice 13 mile ride on one of the local greenways this morning (me on my Blue Bomber Curb Hopper from BO15); still the lightest and fastest bike of mine.

Then it seemed like a good day to get started.

Laid out some standard dimensions using C.A.D, then bent my first tube. Then bent a second tube because I kinked the first one. Using 1.125 x 0.58 4130, which fits a 1” conduit bender well. Tough stuff, but can be bent. The trick is to only bend 5-10 degrees at at time, move the tube an inch, another 5-10. On the first I got a little over zealous.

07047CE1-D0CD-4A72-B567-45E08E4746AE.jpeg

Top tube bent and I tried to replicate the inpriation pic to see how close I was. (the head tube in this pic is really 2 BBs laid down for filler.)

21F77E9A-66FB-4E6A-9DA0-F2474E799DC7.jpeg

Then a couple shots with other bits in place, slightly different seat post posistioning & wheel bases of 44” and 48”.
F8FE9C20-6058-4731-8603-E75086D1D914.jpeg
E6846EF1-E9C5-43F1-89E5-DEA8BB7AF88B.jpeg

Still working the geometry. A front wheel in place might help the perspective. Could lower the rear of the top tube. Watching Reallybigtim’s Elgin makes me wonder if I could forgo the seat tube without getting too flexy. Ohhh, the options!

Cut the headtube down today… down to 7” from 3’. Realized as well that the trees on the fork were set low for some reason, so raising them helped with the flow.

And a couple more mock ups to check geometry. Chnged the headtube angle to 30 degrees from 25.

*(Of course, everything behing the seat tube will be removed to make a proper rear triangle.)

A) set at 48” wheelbase
5A7A8F20-F189-45E8-BDD3-8A2D0FE6669D.jpeg

B) Wheelbase 44”, seat tube moved forward as required.
9C0267D6-A42C-45F7-B2D9-D0446CB61DAD.jpeg

C) “scrap” downtube with the good curve as mid tube.
27114AEE-4BF8-4321-96AA-CF9801E812D1.jpeg

D) Mid tube parallels top tube at the seat tube
B0FACF0B-F5CE-4958-ACBB-1BEC44EEE341.jpeg

E) slightly smaller tank area
0FDAB3E7-3BF7-4766-BD9D-DB0B175D6464.jpeg

44” WB just doesn’t look right. Liking the mid tube idea. Will need to double check BB placement and crank arm clearance for when the stays go on. Time to get argon, set up the jig, and start cutting some fishmouths.

My P-40 Warhawk from BO14 (CWC frame) rides like a dream at 44”. My MTBs are all 42”. My SWB recumbent is 48”, so at least I know that length will fit on the car’s bike rack. I once had a 72” LWB recumbent. No U-turns on the bike path with that one!

The greater, 30 degree HT angle should help with the longer WB as far as maneuverability.

In other news, Front wheels unavailable.

The fork is 110mm wide x 10mm bolt on axle. Seems in the years since I got the fork this combo is out of “standard.” Lots of thru axles @110mm. Lots of 100mm QR. The P-40 has a 110x10 bolt on front wheel, so I know they once made them. I used this fork for a few years on an e-bike, so I know they made them.

I don’t mind improving things, but can’t they at least support stuff that’s less than 10 years old?!?

*sigh* more interwebz searching ahead.

In other news, Front wheels unavailable.

The fork is 110mm wide x 10mm bolt on axle. Seems in the years since I got the fork this combo is out of “standard.” Lots of thru axles @110mm. Lots of 100mm QR. The P-40 has a 110x10 bolt on front wheel, so I know they once made them. I used this fork for a few years on an e-bike, so I know they made them.

I don’t mind improving things, but can’t they at least support stuff that’s less than 10 years old?!?

*sigh* more interwebz searching ahead.
Hmmmm. Trying to recall if I've ever seen anyone mix and match a boost hub to standard axle 🤔

Just thinking out loud

Looking, and I’d never heard of the “Boost” standard before today. Guess I’ve been out of modern bike circulation. Seems a lot of angst caused by making common 15 & 20mm TA forks obsolete as well. I’ll double and triple measure everything tomorrow to be sure I’m not totally crazy. What I get for using archaic 26” wheels! 🤣

The fork is 110mm wide x 10mm bolt on axle.
Nope. I was blind or something. Felt crazy after searchin til my battery died, and then measured again. 100mm wide. Bolt on, for sure, not QR. Brain is toast. Done for the night.
🤪

My P-40 Warhawk from BO14 (CWC frame) rides like a dream at 44”. My MTBs are all 42”. My SWB recumbent is 48”, so at least I know that length will fit on the car’s bike rack. I once had a 72” LWB recumbent. No U-turns on the bike path with that one!

The greater, 30 degree HT angle should help with the longer WB as far as maneuverability.
The recumbent bicycle had just come on scene when I started welding class in high school. I started building one, but I never finished it because a number of factors, including building a Ford.

I’m going the other way now and my cars are not getting finished because I’m building bicycles.

Nope. I was blind or something. Felt crazy after searchin til my battery died, and then measured again. 100mm wide. Bolt on, for sure, not QR. Brain is toast. Done for the night.
🤪
That makes it easier

Looking, and I’d never heard of the “Boost” standard before today. Guess I’ve been out of modern bike circulation. Seems a lot of angst caused by making common 15 & 20mm TA forks obsolete as well. I’ll double and triple measure everything tomorrow to be sure I’m not totally crazy. What I get for using archaic 26” wheels! 🤣
The $cam is perpetual, which is why I lean heavily towards the simplicity of pre-2010 vintages.

Latest posts

Back