Abner DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New tires, wheels, drop stand clip and tank shell.

Then this happened!
IMG_5818.JPG

So cool to watch the details of the process. The tank came out great. I like the details on the fork work too. Coming together as a beautiful bike so far.

Thanks Brian, I feel like this has been boring but it's the whole point of this build. The no-nose tank is something I have been wanting to make for a couple of years now. I knew that the timing was hitting at the same time as the build off so journaling the process was a way of jumping into the fun while building a demo bike at the same time.
As soon as I get the side inserts done I'll be able to focus more on Abner instead of the tanks. Then the creative fun will begin!

Thanks Brian, I feel like this has been boring but it's the whole point of this build. The no-nose tank is something I have been wanting to make for a couple of years now. I knew that the timing was hitting at the same time as the build off so journaling the process was a way of jumping into the fun while building a demo bike at the same time.
As soon as I get the side inserts done I'll be able to focus more on Abner instead of the tanks. Then the creative fun will begin!
I didn't see anything as boring. I've learned a lot from watching your process and your attention to detail. Happy to have seen how you get to a tank. This is an art and a skill.

Exactly 10 years ago yesterday I started Southern Flyer for my first ever build-off entry.
Southern Flyer wall.jpg

In the years since then I have borrowed from it a couple times for other builds. This year I'm borrowing from it again. Except it won't be any part taken from it, just a design idea. :)

Exactly 10 years ago yesterday I started Southern Flyer for my first ever build-off entry.
View attachment 238631

In the years since then I have borrowed from it a couple times for other builds. This year I'm borrowing from it again. Except it won't be any part taken from it, just a design idea. :)
Just in case you thought I might actually be considering that giant light, I'm not. When I pulled up the Southern Flyer photos I couldn't help noticing the big headlight and it reminded me of the giant outdoor light that I recently acquired. lol

Anyway, the reason for bringing up Southern Flyer was because of the finish. That bike is completely bare metal but it was treated with gun metal plumb brown. I really love that look!

Fast forward ten years and I revisited the idea by treating the stem for Abner with the same process. I got the Tomahawk stem from FSH by Design in raw metal and used the process that is used on vintage mussel-loaders to get the finish.

Here's the before:
IMG_5850.JPG

And here's after:
IMG_5844.JPG

birchwood-casey-birchwood-plum-brown-barrel-finnis.jpg

I did two applications but mainly because I didn't get it quite right the first time. It requires that the metal is heated to around 200 degrees before applying the solution and without having a way to measure it I ended up under heating it. I later remembered that sprinkling a little water on it will confirm that it's hot enough when it steams off. Having said that though, you do get a better finish with multiple applications and removing any scale with steel wool between coats.

birchwood-casey-birchwood-plum-brown-barrel-finnis.jpg

I did two applications but mainly because I didn't get it quite right the first time. It requires that the metal is heated to around 200 degrees before applying the solution and without having a way to measure it I ended up under heating it. I later remembered that sprinkling a little water on it will confirm that it's hot enough when it steams off. Having said that though, you do get a better finish with multiple applications and removing any scale with steel wool between coats.

Good to know that about the heat. I thought about blueing a frame on a future bare metal build. I will need to find someone with heat lamps to get it to temperature.

Back