MBBO BAD INFLUENCE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did another test with the glitter paint. I used a black base coat this time and different clear. It got a similar amount of orange peel. It’s the glitter paint that orange peels. Then it accumulates with the clear. I think I might use a different metal flake paint. This can work with 2K clear but I don’t know.
View attachment 281684View attachment 281685View attachment 281686View attachment 281687View attachment 281688
I experimented with the glitter too. You can see it in my previous pic. Didn’t matter the combination it seemed to be the root of any anomalies I saw. Crackle, Orange peel, straight up adhesion failure

I’m thinking about something like this. It looks pretty good in their videos.
https://rothmetalflake.com/collections/rattle-bomb-kits/products/rattle-bomb-classic-kit-cherrie-pie
IMG_1823.png

Sometimes with these paints, I apply a coat every 10 minutes of I am mixing different base paint types. Acetone, urethane, xylene toluene.

Else it's a 4-7 day cure period in between paint types.
That's what I do too. This glitter paint just isn't the easiest to work with. The guy that made the above video puts 3 coats of 2K clear over it and lets it dry. Then wet sand and 3 more coats of 2K clear, then wet sand and polish. Unless you burn through then it's more clear. I can do that but that's a heck of a lot of wet sanding I'd prefer to avoid on this bike. Plus I used up about 1/2 a can of the glitter paint on my test patches so I think it would take at least 3-4 more cans of that to cover. Cost and time wise I think it's going to be better to use a different product.

I'm rooting for you. As a child of the 70's all I can say is that when one of the guys
got it right? man, it popped. And everyone digged it. And when Tony Bocce-Galute
f'd it up and rode it anyway, cuz that's all he had to ride... the guys all laughed at
first. But then they talked it out, like you're doing here, and he eventually got it right
before the summer was over. As I recall, and this is going waaay back in the memory
banks here, time and patience and a clean, dry garage was the key. And wet sanding.
But again, paints were much different back then.

You know, it does look good. How about black shoe polish paste in the orange peel texture, that should buff up nice and in Rat Rod style, make the most of everything else that otherwise works...

I'm rooting for you. As a child of the 70's all I can say is that when one of the guys
got it right? man, it popped. And everyone digged it. And when Tony Bocce-Galute
f'd it up and rode it anyway, cuz that's all he had to ride... the guys all laughed at
first. But then they talked it out, like you're doing here, and he eventually got it right
before the summer was over. As I recall, and this is going waaay back in the memory
banks here, time and patience and a clean, dry garage was the key. And wet sanding.
But again, paints were much different back then.

You know, it does look good. How about black shoe polish paste in the orange peel texture, that should buff up nice and in Rat Rod style, make the most of everything else that otherwise works...

Thanks guys. The paint will come together. I’m researching rattle can options with good custom car paint. I’m also getting an estimate for a professional paint job. I’m putting a lot of time and effort into this build, not to mention some really awesome parts, so I want it to look great. 👍

I did another test with the glitter paint. I used a black base coat this time and different clear. It got a similar amount of orange peel. It’s the glitter paint that orange peels. Then it accumulates with the clear. I think I might use a different metal flake paint. This can work with 2K clear but I don’t know.
View attachment 281684View attachment 281685View attachment 281686View attachment 281687View attachment 281688

I kind of like the orange peel look. Maybe just embrace it. Call it textured.

The orange peel is less significant with the other clear. And the textured look is cool, I’ll probably use it on a future build. I think this Dragster wants to be glossy. 😁View attachment 281765
It can typically take several coats of clear to get it smooth. A couple of solid coats, sand and recoat a few times. I think it will get where you want it.

Latest posts

Back