Bare Minimum. FINISHED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and gals! I'm finally back to building after a long winter. its just starting to taper off and get warmer out, so i can work on bikes now without losing the feeling in my fingers! :lol:

I started a bike in the buildoff last year but was unable to finish due to a lack of time. I am basically picking up where I left off with the same parts but different ideas. I may end up stripping the paint and ending up with a completely bare bike, so thats why I am going back to the original title from the buildoff. here is the buildoff topic if anyone is that interested
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=56370&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=bare+minimum

I've just been mocking up everything so far.

DSCN9073_zpsabe33711.jpg

I put this chain ring on it and the wheels, but something was completely wrong...
DSCN9077_zps60bdfea1.jpg

That's much better :D
DSCN9079_zpsde3cddb7.jpg

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc510/Craiggo/DSCN9080_zps6c703d59.jpg[/IMG

I figured I would get it in some better light.
[img]http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc510/Craiggo/DSCN9085_zpsbe7fc590.jpg
DSCN9084_zps978d214f.jpg

I'm thinking about keeping the 2x4 kickstand on it... it adds a "homely" touch to it. :mrgreen:

so, what do you think?

Re: Bare Minimum.

Looks good 8) Great stance and has a sleek look to it that makes it look like it's in motion while standing still.I'll be watching to see where you go with this build :!:

Thanks Circa Cycles and iven!

I got to work on cleaning some of the bearings and bearing cups. I want all the bearings to feel smooth on this bike although I am reusing some old hardware that is still in pretty good shape. It gets too costly when all the bearings and cups are bought.

I've had problems on previous bikes with "pulsating" bearings. I just want to take my time and get it right. :)

That's going to look cool!
There is a lot of tires around that are that size, how bad do you want "bricks"?
Good Luck

Cool tires! Did you find them by seaching the shop on the link I added? They have some cool stuff there at what seem to be good prices...
You will have to let us know what you think of them when you get them, even with postage to Australia it is cheaper than buying something similar here if I get a couple of sets...

Luke.

I bought them last week. It´s impossible to find ANY cream/white tires here.
Shipping them to Uruguay was 46 bucks :? :!: Luckily, I found a service that provides an address in Miami :D and from there they ship´em here for 12 bucks :D

Now I need a very cheap 2 speed kick back coaster hub, or a 3 speed coaster and cream grips... if you run across any of these let me know :mrgreen:

Glad to see this build getting done! :D Has a real nice stance 8)

Gdcast said:
I bought them last week. It´s impossible to find ANY cream/white tires here.
Shipping them to Uruguay was 46 bucks :? :!: Luckily, I found a service that provides an address in Miami :D and from there they ship´em here for 12 bucks :D
I have access to the same service, otherwise I would not even consider it. Gotten a few things with it that cost a fortune over here, mainly slot cars...

Luke.

Glad to see some activity on my build thread! even though some of it doesnt have to do with the build hahaha :wink: .

I got to work on it yesterday some... I have located a hub I want to use now. Here are some pics from after it was cut out.

DSCN9099_zpsbf6b4413.jpg

The bike it came off of mustve been ouside for the last 40 years or so because everything on it was froze up. but we all know that anything will break free with enough elbow grease. this hub is slowly coming to life but I havent been able to crack it open. all of the nuts and counter nuts are stuck at the moment. I hope I have some luck getting the hub rebuilt. those kickbacks have given me some grief in the past. I totally rebuilt one once because a bearing was shot in it and when I got it back on the bike, It locked up after 20 feet. It still is sitting off to the side waiting to be solved. Does anyone have advice? I am sure i put it back together correctly, I may have tightened some things wrong... That one is a blue band.

from my understanding, and from the diagrams that i have printed off, the blue and yellow bands are quite similar. If you read all of this, thanks! if you can help or direct me to a thread that would help, EVEN BETTER! :mrgreen:

Back to THIS bike... I dont know what I am going to do about the paint. should I leave it all, leave some, or totally strip the paint? It would be cool if I could leave the front og paint and bare the rest of it.... well, Ill find out. hopefully I can work on it tomorrow again :D

thanks for the comments! Schwinnray: I remember you cheering me on during the buildoff :) im glad you still remember this bike haha
gdcast: those are the only ones I have, and they are a little beat-up. I actually just threw them on to get a feel if I liked them or not. I can see if I end up using them or not. I will let you know. If you want, you could PM me and we could discuss it :D

First of all sorry for hijacking you build thread!!! :oops:
On our defense, it´s all related :D cause you could really use those cream tires...

...giving it a second thought, those would perfectly match you current grips, so scratch what I said, get new black tires and send those grips to me, I don´t care if they are beaten up, I´ll buy them from you or trade them for a cool bike licence plate or by my mother in law :mrgreen:

Let us see if you dismantle that hub, I´m trying to lay my hands in one like that, but they don´t exist here in this world... (here we go again!!! :roll: )
Bike is awesome by the way, I would trade one of my kidneys for it, though it would get very complicated at the customs :shock: :lol:
Keep up the good work!
Cheers!

Almost forgot, about the paint, leave it as it is! Lovin´that patina!
I would paint the wheels black and seriously consider...

CREAM BRICKS! :shock: :shock: :wink: :mrgreen:

I got the hub apart today and I figured out how the kickback hubs work! :D

I took a lot of pictures. ...maybe too many :?

First off, here is the hub. It was completely locked up yesterday until I sprayed some WD-40 in its cracks and worked it a little. I could not get any of the nuts to turn though.
DSCN9101_zps5cefcc5a.jpg

As you can see here, there is a sort of nut with a counter nut within it. Since it has presumably been outside for a long time, the weather has frozen these two pieces together.
DSCN9103_zpsd8bc160b.jpg

I don't know of a tool to assist in getting this internal nut removed, so I took an old cotter pin nut and made a tool myself. :D 8)
DSCN9104_zpsb83672b6.jpg

DSCN9105_zps5cd9e5f4.jpg

DSCN9107_zpsc6c0373c.jpg

almost finished...
DSCN9108_zpsb2d74bc4.jpg

It wouldnt fit right away, so I had to file curved edges on the outside of the teeth to get it right.
DSCN9110_zpsa021c32b.jpg

and voila!
DSCN9111_zpsad5d5ec4.jpg

DSCN9112_zpse921e18c.jpg

rust rust rust
DSCN9113_zps1ea20c78.jpg

this is for all three models, red, blue and yellow. the red is on the top half. the blue and yellow are combined on the bottom half with the exception of a few non-interchangeable parts
DSCN9114_zpsa5e5949a.jpg

DIG IN!
take off the ring that holds on the dust cap and it should pop right off.
DSCN9115_zps6c126a27.jpg

DSCN9116_zpsfbc05aa7.jpg

I found that using a chain and vise grips worked really well in holding the chain teeth.
DSCN9117_zps744f836c.jpg

Just look at it....
DSCN9118_zps23119c0b.jpg

the diagram shows 11 ball bearings. Luckily, I save alot of the random ball bearings I get from broken bearings and found one that Im sure is the right size.
DSCN9120_zps8a843b2d.jpg

DSCN9122_zps0655c825.jpg

This is on the other end with the brake arm... just beautiful.
DSCN9123_zps833d16df.jpg

and yes... that is a chunk of solid rust that was in there.
DSCN9124_zpsadd814c5.jpg

BRAKE SHOES!!!!!!!
DSCN9125_zpsb708ee27.jpg

Am I the only one that thinks this looks like a turbine from one of the race pods in Star Wars 1?
DSCN9126_zpsc74fdbdc.jpg

the hub is now all on its lonesome :(
DSCN9129_zps6c459b2e.jpg

That's about as clean as its going to get :D
DSCN9130_zps5b0113f4.jpg

All the parts
DSCN9131_zps2eaee528.jpg

BAM
DSCN9133_zpsac7702ba.jpg

DSCN9134_zps992b87ac.jpg

this was fun
DSCN9138_zps8c555451.jpg

My camera died after that, but I got all the parts cleaned up pretty well. There are some teeth on some of the gears that have chunks taken out of them, but is doesn't seem to affect it all that much so I am going to go with it for now. The threads on the axle are a little damaged from all the rust but I hope I can get by with it. I put some of the parts together and I studied how the inner gear changing mechanism works.It is actually very fascinating to think how old it is :idea: :mrgreen: .

as for the cream bricks, let me think about it... I may need to find some visuals to really turn me to them. thanks guys, I hope you are enjoying this just as I am :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I put the hub together and all is well. I'm not sure if lithium grease is too thick for those hubs or not. Everything seems to be operating properly though. I'll see how it feels when I get the wheels built and get it on the road.

Thank you so much for taking the time to document the hole process, I know how annoying is to stop working and taking a pic, especially when everything is so oily and messy, thank you!

I´ve been wanting one of those yellow Bendix for a while, is exactly the one I would love to put on my current build, so enjoy it for the both us!! :lol:
You´re doing great, keep it up!!! :wink:

Latest posts

Back