Bare Minimum. FINISHED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Bare Minimum.

thanks for taking the time to post the overhaul. Interesting.

I guess the way I look at it is, I would rather put 5 or so hours into something like that hub rather than buy a different one.
My reasons are:
1) I dont want to spend much money because I may as well make use of the extra time I have.
2) I enjoy taking things apart and seeing how they work because I may be able to take that mechanical knowlege and use it later on.
3) I hate to see something like a 1960's hub as unique as those kickbacks are (and they arent made anymore), and just throw it away.

It bothers me to think about how many use-able parts have been thrown away to scrap. Things that are made now, are made to be thrown away :( which is why I love recreating bikes with qualities from the past. It make me happy that I took a bike/hub that was literally headed to the scrap and I am enabling it to live on for another 40 years possibly. :D

ANYWAY...
I have some awesome things to show you that I did today.

this was from yesterday actually, but I am pleased with the turnout :mrgreen:
DSCN9140_zpsc576e9fb.jpg

DSCN9141_zps293fe607.jpg

DSCN9173_zps508c12c5.jpg

DSCN9171_zpsa59cea8c.jpg

some really bad bictures but I hope to use these rims. I am really loving the paint that is already on them... the tires are only temporary.
DSCN9168_zpsf4543b0a.jpg

DSCN9170_zpsfad90be2.jpg

and what I am really excited about. p.s. this idea was stolen from Dr. Tankenstein. Thanks!
DSCN9165_zpsa8082131.jpg

the post clamp isnt contacting like it should but It seems to be pretty rigid anyway. I will see if this poses any problems once I can actually put weight on it.
DSCN9166_zpsafbf4351.jpg

Im not sure exactly how I will be able to secure it to the bike yet. I might end up bending the "bottom" crank arm straight down using a heating torch. what do you guys think?
DSCN9175_zps36454e2e.jpg

Craiggo said:
...and what I am really excited about. p.s. this idea was stolen from Dr. Tankenstein. Thanks!
DSCN9165_zpsa8082131.jpg

the post clamp isnt contacting like it should but It seems to be pretty rigid anyway. I will see if this poses any problems once I can actually put weight on it.
DSCN9166_zpsafbf4351.jpg

Im not sure exactly how I will be able to secure it to the bike yet. I might end up bending the "bottom" crank arm straight down using a heating torch. what do you guys think?
DSCN9175_zps36454e2e.jpg

That is really cool! I have a crank off an old Columbia that was run over, so one side is bent...that would be a great way to recycle it! Great build thread! I'm watching this one closely from here out!

Are you going to be able to put the crank into the post on the seat side? You could always shorten the arm a bit. Good eye for the aesthetics of the "moto" genre. Good thing, 'cause given the bike's condition, a "performance" build would probably kill that frame. Good save on the hub, and not a minute too soon. 8)

Craiggo said:
I guess the way I look at it is, I would rather put 5 or so hours into something like that hub rather than buy a different one.
I meant that as a compliment. I had a kick back that I was to scared, so I had the LBS rebuild it for me.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

IronDio said:
That is really cool! I have a crank off an old Columbia that was run over, so one side is bent...that would be a great way to recycle it! Great build thread! I'm watching this one closely from here out!

Hey, I never thought of using my bent one... :)

deorman said:
Are you going to be able to put the crank into the post on the seat side? You could always shorten the arm a bit. Good eye for the aesthetics of the "moto" genre. Good thing, 'cause given the bike's condition, a "performance" build would probably kill that frame. Good save on the hub, and not a minute too soon. 8)

I figure that if I heat up the lower crank arm and get it straight with the threaded section, I could grind the oblong edges off and make it just small enough to fit into the tube. Note that the old tube from the frame is cut off at frame because I couldn't get it out. I will probably weld the crank arm in the frame to secure it. I don't see it being adjustable ever again.

cman said:
Craiggo said:
I meant that as a compliment. I had a kick back that I was to scared, so I had the LBS rebuild it for me.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I see. Thanks man! I like a challenge ;)

ever think of sticking a piece of magnesium on the bottom of that rear fender ? Awesome stuff so far man, big pat on the back for saving that hub too :shock: seat post looks awesome, its like seeing a pipe and fitting contraption but way cooler !!!

CCR said:
ever think of sticking a piece of magnesium on the bottom of that rear fender ? Awesome stuff so far man, big pat on the back for saving that hub too :shock: seat post looks awesome, its like seeing a pipe and fitting contraption but way cooler !!!
Can you explain the magnesium? I'm not sure what you mean. Thank you, and all the others for the praise I am getting! It is really appreciated :D

I may be wrong, but I think he means to use it as a sparker as you ride along... The magnesium would spark as it scrapes along the road.
Like I said though, I may be wrong...

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
I may be wrong, but I think he means to use it as a sparker as you ride along... The magnesium would spark as it scrapes along the road.
Like I said though, I may be wrong...

Luke.

Bingo !!!

4545860030_large.jpg

Haha, that's crazy! I'm going to trim the rear fender like the bottom of the front fender. The magnesium is a cool idea though :p

I cleaned up the fenders today and discovered that they arent matching :x I think I can get them close to matching with a little manual aging though. I really really really like the design on the rear fender. I was afraid I would rub it off when cleaning it but the old paint held up :mrgreen: . they are not perfect yet but I got the bulk of it cleaned up. 8) 8)
DSCN9204_zpsb38989c6.jpg

DSCN9206_zpsa876f71d.jpg

I took a hack saw to the old seatpost and cut a new slit in it so It can clamp again. I dont think I will need to weld it anymore :D
DSCN9209_zpse5d18e3c.jpg

does anyone think I need to reinforce this? Im pretty sur I do, but I dont know the best way to go about it :?
DSCN9200_zps1b4abee6.jpg

DSCN9202_zps8cc96fcd.jpg

I would say split tubing welded, but you need it to bent to match the bend in the stay. Even if you manage, I wouldn't be hopping cubs with it. It's pretty far gone. Once you open a tube like that, it oxidizes like crazy. :(

deorman said:
I would say split tubing welded, but you need it to bent to match the bend in the stay. Even if you manage, I wouldn't be hopping cubs with it. It's pretty far gone. Once you open a tube like that, it oxidizes like crazy. :(

Does it not look oxidized already? hahaha! thanks, I will talk to my uncle about it 8)

Yep, definetly think you need to reinforce that. Deormans idea of finding some pipe that would fit over it, bending it to the right shape and then splitting it lengthways to place it over the area is probably the best way to do it...

A way that would look better is to cut it apart and insert solid round bar inside and weld it to the tube at the joints and some spot welds through drilled holes further away too, however to do this you would have to be very carefull getting everthing back straight and true, that's why the first idea is probably better.

Depends how confident you are with a welder and stringline...

Luke.

I was able to meet up with my uncle this afternoon. He owns the welder and he usually knows what he is doing haha. he helped me fill in the rust holes, and he got my 'crankpost' welded up. he said that it would've weakened the crank too much if we would've gone with the heating method.

Its not as clean as I expected, but I think I can work with it. If this design fails, I have a plan b.
DSCN9225_zpsad7e6e68.jpg

DSCN9232_zps4072b8dc.jpg

DSCN9238_zps259e6a33.jpg

I am fairly happy with the way this turned out. Its a little rough, and it took away the patina, but there was no other way and It should serve its purpose :D
DSCN9219_zps586d5f92.jpg

DSCN9221_zpsd41cd82d.jpg

We slid two bolts in the tubing as reinforcement and he filled it in.
DSCN9223_zps49d35f55.jpg

DSCN9240_zpsfb978f6e.jpg

DSCN9241_zps487e49bd.jpg

a little touch up to do, but I am pretty happy I got those things out of the way today. 8)

Back