Basketcase stem/fork situation

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent news, I was installing another tumbler (or trying) and broke the brass bushing that the lock turns inside. It might be time to put this thing down for a while. The only thing I can think of is maybe getting a short piece of tubing with an OD the same as the ID of the hole that the lock assembly fits into. I could notch it at the rear to keep the tumbler from going all of the way in, and I could even cut a path for the tumbler pins to fall into when locked for removal of the key.

Hey Ozz, if you can post a picture of the tumbler assem. and the OD size, We use tumblers at work in our desks that are two peice. They have a barrel that screw to the drawer front and then the guts are installed at final assem. and I can get all the parts or just tumblers and a universal key to open every desk we have ever made or indivdual keys. I also am bad to take stuff apart to see how it works and have three or four different kinds of lock mechinisms layin around in the shop. The barrel assem. is aluminum, I think and the rest is brass from the ones at work.The reason I say this they are easy to "redneck" machine with a grinder and a drill. You may be able to use one or not, one never knows.

ozzmonaut said:
If anybody is still checking back at this thread, I have an interesting question. I have seen Schwinn forks with a pin cast into the inside of one fork blade for a drum brake. Mine has the front drum brake, but no pin on the fork. The flange where the brake arm has a hole looks like it possibly uses a clamp around the fork leg , similar to how a rear brake arm is clamped to the frame. Does this sound right, or was this front drum brake added to a bike that it isn't correct for? Thanks for all of the help so far and in the future. I may move this to the build section since it has turned into such a long series of issues. But it isn't really a build. It really is just a big pile of problems. But I can't seem to put it down. It is screaming to be made rideable again.

I believe Rat Rod did that with one of his 26" BMX he put the drum brake on.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=53494&p=508305#p508305

Latest posts

Back