TRADITIONAL Behrens Viscount

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strip to bare metal and clear sounds good.:thumbsup:

I think it's just shiny metal. I did some hunting around to find info on that bike, no Viscount or Behrens matched up with that frame. I've seen a lugged frame with a American BB but I can't remember where.
I saw some viscount road bikes from the 70s. When I first got the bike, I remember seeing something about a Behrens store in Germany. But that's all I got.

GIF by Jacqueline Jing Lin

I started tearing this down after work, hoping to get it ready for our big vacation in two weeks.
Suddenly, as of someone gently... Hitting me with a brick, it dawned on me. I should document this for the traditional category.

I've had this bike for years, and know nothing about it. I bought it the first time I went to the Ann Arbor swap many years ago. I rode it that summer, then it spent the next 6 or so years outside. Now it's back, it's back inside.
View attachment 267244View attachment 267245
View attachment 267246
View attachment 267247
I don't have anything spectacular planned for it. Just want to clean it up a bit, but might add a couple things.🤔

I've searched the forum for ways to rejuvenate the paint, and keep coming up with oxalic acid.
I'm wondering what other ways there are to do that. Not opposed to the acid, just trying to see what else might work.
It looks like someone painted over the original red, so going to dab some paint stripper under the bottom bracket and see what happens.
Totally digging that head badge

If you can handle the heat. Holy moly it’s hot here. 😅
It's ridiculous. I'm actually in the garage trying to organize, to make room to work on the VW and new camper when we get back. Think I've already lost 5 pounds.

Finally got back to cleaning up fenders. Only got one done today, it's difficult to be outside for long runs.
I was a little surprised by the little amount of chrome plating, as far as I know this bike was built in Germany. You'd think the plating would be better.
20240712_184119.jpg

20240712_184124.jpg
20240712_184134.jpg

The original plan was bare metal, then clear coat. But I like the way they look, so I might just put some oil on them.

Still have the front fender to get to, maybe tomorrow. Here's a side by side.
20240712_184258.jpg

I found some damage on this fender. This is one of those times where I wish the metal could talk. I'd love to hear the story of how these "pimples" got there.
20240712_184141.jpg

Finally got back to cleaning up fenders. Only got one done today, it's difficult to be outside for long runs.
I was a little surprised by the little amount of chrome plating, as far as I know this bike was built in Germany. You'd think the plating would be better.View attachment 272852
View attachment 272853View attachment 272854

The original plan was bare metal, then clear coat. But I like the way they look, so I might just put some oil on them.

View attachment 272855

I found some damage on this fender. This is one of those times where I wish the metal could talk. I'd love to hear the story of how these "pimples" got there.
View attachment 272856
Agreed, good patina just as it is.

I was a little surprised by the little amount of chrome plating, as far as I know this bike was built in Germany. You'd think the plating would be better.View attachment 272852
View attachment 272853View attachment 272854

View attachment 272855

View attachment 272856

Welcome back from your road trip
Agree, The fenders are looking cool. I also wonder how those pimples got there.

Took the day off to work on my camper....

Decided to step back a bit and clean off the front fender of this bike. As I was wire wheeling, I noticed this bent brace.
20240714_135152.jpg

Makes me wonder how long you can have something in your possession, and not notice stuff like this.

Anyway. I went to the anvil and with the help of one of those thin tent stakes, I got it here.
20240714_140421.jpg

Not perfect, but much better.
Think I'll finish the wire wheeling, then go jump in the river.🥵

Hubs are cleaned out and re-packed. Put the redwall tires from an old build off bike on, and got this chainguard off my old Firestone Vagabond.
It doesn't line up exact, but I can make it fit. And it's the only guard I have that I think looks right.
20240716_183013.jpg
20240716_183021.jpg

Once that's fitted, it's just clean and re-pack the other bearings, then put it all together.
Oh. And grips. I have to decide black or red that matches the tires a bit.

Back