TRADITIONAL Behrens Viscount

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strip to bare metal and clear sounds good.:thumbsup:

I think it's just shiny metal. I did some hunting around to find info on that bike, no Viscount or Behrens matched up with that frame. I've seen a lugged frame with a American BB but I can't remember where.
I saw some viscount road bikes from the 70s. When I first got the bike, I remember seeing something about a Behrens store in Germany. But that's all I got.

GIF by Jacqueline Jing Lin

I started tearing this down after work, hoping to get it ready for our big vacation in two weeks.
Suddenly, as of someone gently... Hitting me with a brick, it dawned on me. I should document this for the traditional category.

I've had this bike for years, and know nothing about it. I bought it the first time I went to the Ann Arbor swap many years ago. I rode it that summer, then it spent the next 6 or so years outside. Now it's back, it's back inside.
View attachment 267244View attachment 267245
View attachment 267246
View attachment 267247
I don't have anything spectacular planned for it. Just want to clean it up a bit, but might add a couple things.🤔

I've searched the forum for ways to rejuvenate the paint, and keep coming up with oxalic acid.
I'm wondering what other ways there are to do that. Not opposed to the acid, just trying to see what else might work.
It looks like someone painted over the original red, so going to dab some paint stripper under the bottom bracket and see what happens.
Totally digging that head badge

If you can handle the heat. Holy moly it’s hot here. 😅
It's ridiculous. I'm actually in the garage trying to organize, to make room to work on the VW and new camper when we get back. Think I've already lost 5 pounds.

Latest posts

Back