Bicycle getting hit by car

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those Critical Mass rides are pretty much a bunch anarchists out to cause trouble at least around here, worse riding etiquette than even the spandex crowd. Same road, same rules.

I have mixed feelings about this..Yes it is wrong to hit anyone on anything in a car..But think about this. The car crosses the median illegally (red flag). Then the car follows to close to bicycles (2nd red flag) Car swerves into other lane to leave the scene. (3rd red flag). Sometimes we forget our commonsense and believe our laws will stop all wrongdoers in their tracks.. Lives were put at risk. When we see stupid motorists, get out of the way! Your safety is more important than proving a point.

i am all for bicycle rights however critical mass really isn't the most organized thing, at least not in my town. there looked like there was only of group of 20 in the video, here in gainesville they get to be around 100 or more... that driver was way out of line tho. Road rage is scary problem and angry drivers mixed with large groups of bike kids don't really mix well.

What is critical mass? What do they protest, and finaly i am glad that i live in indiana. Theres not alot of stuff like this happening. Bothe partys involved should have done something differant. Its kinda make me sick that people just dont get along. PEACE MAN!!!!

i dont think this is right at all, but when you start trouble your asking for more trouble :|

if you want to see a reversed example watch this (some strong language and kid really gets injured so mute it and prepare to lose your lunch)

EDIT - removed the link on second thought, but look up "instant karma" on youtube if you really really want to.

CCR said:
i dont think this is right at all, but when you start trouble your asking for more trouble :|

if you want to see a reversed example watch this (some strong language and kid really gets injured so mute it and prepare to lose your lunch)

EDIT - removed the link on second thought, but look up "instant karma" on youtube if you really really want to.
OUCHA!

maddogrider said:
What is critical mass? What do they protest, and finaly i am glad that i live in indiana. Theres not alot of stuff like this happening. Bothe partys involved should have done something differant. Its kinda make me sick that people just dont get along. PEACE MAN!!!!

i had to see too. so mixed feelings on this.....
if they were some dope smoking peace lovin hippies that were tryin to show people how they can change the world for the better by biking all in the slow lane
spreading the love.. then yes this is an outrage!!!

on the other hand if you are doing it to be a donkey karma comes a lil sooner sometimes.
http://critical-mass.info/
off the web said:
Some CM riders try to tie up traffic as much as possible and be otherwise confrontational with motorists. Such riders are missing the point about Critical Mass. CM is a celebration of cycling, not a war against motorists. CM is about asserting our right to the road, not denying others their right to the road. Those who want to play juvenile games are encouraged to stay at home instead.

Would you like to have your bike run over? If you thought the deserved it because they were protesting, did the civil rights protesters of the days of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. deserve to be beaten, arrested, fire hosed? How about the violence involved in the pro-life/pro-choice "debate?" Should anti-war protestors be arrested in the hundreds? (Happened a few days ago in San Fransisco).

socal_jack said:
Those Critical Mass rides are pretty much a bunch anarchists out to cause trouble
In some cities Critical Mass rides are massive (San Fransisco comes to mind again) but remain peacful and resemble a big party more than anarchy. In other cities riders confront motorists, "take streets," block intersections, swarm cars which enter the pack, and try to disrupt the flow of traffic as much as possible. While it' convinent to call rides like those anarchistic, it presents a greater challenge to find out why the mass is confronational with motorists. In the posted video, one motorists asks what the ride is about. This is not uncommon and most riders will give answers which include fossil fuel use, global warming or a variation. Most commonly, biker saftey and biker rights comes up. In bike not-so-friendly cities (Boston comes to mind) it is not uncommon to see riders in the mass with tacoed wheels from encounters they, or a friend, have had with motorists while riding. Maybe they confronation is used to bring attention to the issue of getting squashed by a car while riding.

CCR said:
when you start trouble your asking for more trouble.
I'll assume that by starting trouble you mean holding a confrontational Critical Mass. To use your own logic against you, the motorists started the trouble by being inconsiderate to riders. But that's just me being silly and one could say the riders started the trouble by being on the roads in the first place. To get out of this backpedaling chicken and egg logic, lets consider some people who were trouble makers. All the Americal revolutionaries, Martin Luther (of the reformation), early folk/hip-hop/blues/elctronic/jazz/rock musicians, the "beat" authors, Socrates, Darwin, and a bit more personal-- rat rodders. Today's trouble makers often become tommorow's history makers. If nobody got other's feathers in a tizzy not much change would happen. Biologicaly speaking, variety is vital. I challenge you to make a (short) list of history makers who did not cause trouble.

i can't put them in the same arena as the greats fighting for civil rights they were fighting for equality.
bikers are equal. they have laws to follow also. gettin in the way and being a problem is not the solution.

anger feeds anger.

Korporal said:
... I challenge you to make a (short) list of history makers who did not cause trouble.

... :?
Thats too broad my friend and I dont know if I could meet your standards. I sorely decline.

It would be more interesting to view the whole tape to see what led up to the incident(like a complete quote). If you look at the history of the group is it less of a peaceful movement like either Martin Luthers and more of the extreme left shout down the opposition in the style of Mao, Hitler, Lenin kind of movement. The difference here is that there is no discernable leader just mobs that degenerate into arrests and police confiscation of bikes. Hmmm never happens to the thousands of bikers in pelotons peacefully sharing the road with motorists up and down the 101 everyday, wonder what the difference is?

i know stop picking at it!!!!!!

but i can't !
really what are they protesting. please enlighten me you compare it to human rights! bro that isn't even close..
so the "MAN" wants them under his thumb and has some underlying Conspiracy to oppress the bikers of cali. REALLY because i bet 100 dollars if you compared whatever they were "protesting" to human rights to the chick in the blazer when it was going on. she would have popped somebody..

BY NO MEANS CAN I SAY I WAS THE MODEL BIKER!!!!! i played the "Pedestrians have the right of way" card but i was young...guess i just grew out of stupid.

please post any other links on what they are about. i don't want to have a half informed view

Here's the problem, it is entirely within the realm of possibility that these CM people staged the whole scene, ever wonder why there's no arrest of the driver? For more on that, check out the following KRON report("Attack of the bicycles") on another video of these "people" on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ_dJvuS0Ys

If you want to know anymore, try your local CL bike classifieds, usually someone will post something about a ride. Here in SD they get called out by local riders and the ads removed since they just make things worse for people that really enjoy riding bikes.

Critical Mass was out looking for trouble...and well, they found it. :|

What did any of it prove?

I know the Cops always had a good look at our 'freak bike' rides put on by a local low rider shop, I always wondered why they thought we were some sort of trouble but I guess we have 'critical mass' to thank for that reputation. :(

i keep coming back to this thread and reading it, and i always thought critical mass more about getting people to get out and ride a bike and for drivers to be aware that there are a significant group of bicyclists in the community. Sure a cyclist may be hit and killed or injured and the bike community will be outraged, but there are also car accidents too and people are hit and killed in those, bikes are vehicles and must abide by rules too. Mainly in my eyes it all just boils down to being aware of your surroundings and not thinking that you own the road whether your in a car or on a bike.

The kids in this video were not organized they were all over the road with bike trailers carrying giant speakers and if you throw what looks to be an angry driver into the mix and just the confusion of the group of cyclists as to where to go and what is happening the situation could have been much worse, but it also could have been better

oh well i guess :|

Back