~~~BLACKJACK~~~ <<<FINISHED>>>

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ~~~BLACKJACK~~~ A Christmas Build

Thats a Slick ride.. haha i wish someone would build me bikes xD
im the only one in my family into bikes, even if they would get off my back about having bikes.. that would be nice :lol:

I've been chewing over how to lower that fender closer to the tire. Here's my thought, tell me if I'm on track. If you look at where the braces mount with their pre-cut holes, there is some flat space before that. If I drill a large enough hole into that flat space, I could essentially shorten the brace, and cut off/shape/paint the excess. Sound right?

It's coming along nicely, Chief. I *knew* that reflective tape would look sick on the wheels...that and it makes him "legal"!

More problems tonight. I think I'm going to take a step back, get this bike "good enough" for Christmas, then start back again after he gets it to tweak it the way I want it. Plus I still have the actual chain guard to do after Christmas anyway, so it's not like I could really be done. Anyway...

Put the front end together. I'm still waiting for some hardware to get to me, but I stuck a long screw through the hole that holds the springer together just to see how things fit. The fender goes on ok, but it's a little tall still. So I'll have to fab that after Christmas. Also, I have to figure out a way to mount the fender to the for assembly. Right now it's just held in place with tension on the axle bolts and can rotate. I pulled out the light (which doesn't work... cheap chinese crap. I think I'm going to try to mod an LED set up in there) to see how it mounts. There is no real place to mount it. So... if I make a mount for the fender using that hole in the fork, maybe I can incorporate a mount for the light as well. After Christmas.

dsc0285r.jpg

dsc0287tk.jpg

I installed the bottom bracket/crank assembly. I also tried to put in the seat post. The one I got with the bike is too thin and it had electrical take holding it in place. So I took the frame to my LBS and they measured it, and I bought a post online based on that measurement. Tonight was the first time I tried to put it in, and it's too big. So I thought maybe I could tap it down to open it up a bit, but that only got it stuck. Really stupid of me. So I had to crush that new post in my bench vise to work that thing out. :roll: I'm taking the frame back to the LBS tomorrow, hopefully they have something. If not, maybe I can shim the old one? This isn't what I need 5 days before the reveal. Also, I'm going to get a stand. It's too hard to work on a bike without one. It fell over and some of the pinstriping (a skull) was a little damaged. I'm really pissed about that.

Anyway, here's a mock-up so far.

dsc0286g.jpg

The build is looking sharp!! All of the fit and finish issues that you are running into are the reason that I don't paint anything until I have mocked up everything .
I tried mounting a light to the springer bolt and it works fine standing still, but anytime the springer springs, the bolt pushes out and the light is no longer secure.
Keep the moving parts in mind for anything you mount to the springer forks. You don't want anything binding up on you.
I don't think your fenders look too high at all.

That's why I'm cussing every night. Because I wanted to do it right, and with enough time to take care of all this stuff, but my circumstance didn't allow for it.

After I took the picture I figured out that was a dumb place to mount it. That's why I thought if I design a lower mount, I could also secure the fender.

Next time I can help you more. Like if u need wheels laced and don't feel like I can. And yes my bike stand is one of my fav tools

kingfish254 said:
I tried mounting a light to the springer bolt and it works fine standing still, but anytime the springer springs, the bolt pushes out and the light is no longer secure.

I am not familiar with that type of springer, but is there a way to mount it to the backside of the black part rather than the front where the spring pushes out?

Crash....this bike is looking awesome. Maybe get it close and give it to him and then tell him you have some more ideas that you guys can work on together...

Terry66 said:
kingfish254 said:

I am not familiar with that type of springer, but is there a way to mount it to the backside of the black part rather than the front where the spring pushes out?

Crash....this bike is looking awesome. Maybe get it close and give it to him and then tell him you have some more ideas that you guys can work on together...
Exactly my thought. "I talked to Santa and asked him if I could do something really special for you since I had been gone so much the past couple years. He said he was going to bring you a new bike, so I asked if I could build you one and he agreed. But, your old Dad came up with lots of ideas that I didn't have time to do, so let's work on it together and make it even more awesome!" I'm sure we'll incorporate some of his ideas... like side mounted machine guns. :lol:

I have to secure the front fender. So I figured if I could come up with some solution for the fender and the light with one piece.

Get a piece of straping or a brace/strut from a rack for a bike.
Put a 90 degree twist in the strap and drill a hole large enough for the fork pivot bolt.
Insert through the bottom of fork and slip in the pivot bolt.
Near the fender bend to 90 degree and bolt to fender.

These are the stainless struts used on bike racks. The sometimes have a twist in them and hopefully big enough for the fork bolt.

A1FX_1_20120928_59909151.jpg

I am really starting to think this frame is European.

1) No one has a clue who made it, and the serial numbers don't mean anything to anyone.

2) The seat tube is an irregular size. Too large for the small post it came with, and too small for the next size up I bought.

3) The head tube is the same way. Too large for the schwinn cups I have sitting in there, but too small for the Spyder or AMF headset cups I have.

I got a shim for the seat post. I'll try it tonight. The cups, I have no idea. Maybe I should cut some aluminum can? Once I tighten the head tube down they don't move. Should I just leave it alone?

I'm guessing the headset size is the same as the Huffy's from the 90's. They're not quite 1" or 1 1/8" they're more like 1 1/16". I'd give you some cups to try but by the time they got to you it'd be way past Christmas.
This may help though. Wald makes some universal bearing cups with dimples that should fit what you have and any well stocked bike shop should have them(my LBS had them!) or be able to get them.
Anyhow. Looks great and I'm sure he'll love it!

there is a Wald headset with 3 little dimple on the flange of the cups to fit that head tube, I have used spacers with a slit cut in em and a road bike headset before tho.. . I will try and find the model of that headset for ya..

I'm close to having it ready for Christmas (not done, but ready for initial presentation).

For the headset cups I cut some aluminum can strips and wrapped them. I didn't have to press them, but they took a little effort to get in, so they'll hold better than before. For the loose seat post I got an aluminum shim from my LBS and cut it down. to fit. Works great with the original post. And as you can see, I've replaced the original bolt with a QR for easy adjustment.

dsc0271ty.jpg

I took that picture right before I made this scratch. I swear, after Christmas my first purchase is going to be a bike stand!!! I have some satin black rattle can. I'm going to brush a little vice spray it. I think I'll cause more harm than good if I spray it.

dsc0273af.jpg

On to happier updates... that hole I drilled that I shouldn't have, I got a plastic plug that worked good.

dsc0272x.jpg

And I installed the bracelet. It took a while to get right, but I think it was worth the time.

dsc0274um.jpg

I'm waiting for the reflector frame to dry, then I can finish the back end and do the last bits of install.

Very nice creative ingenuity to bring it all together. 8)

Latest posts

Back