Board Track Style Bicycle From England ( GRADY ROCKET )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Board Track Style Bicycle From England

Thanks for the information, i think the problem with reproducing this will be to find a similar product since i am not in the UK. what kind of watercolours are these?

Thanks again everyone for the nice comments! Im having lots of fun doing this build! Picked up some more paints today for the de-logoing on the fat franks and also got some fresh inner tubes mmmm... Pics of the wheels and tyres when they are done. :D

Here you go snorrevonflake, this is the water colour that i'm using.

btburntsienna.jpg

If you go in to your local art shop and ask for a ' Burnt Sienna Water Colour Paint ' they will know what you mean.They are all the same really.
You only need a small tube, this stuff lasts for ages and you only need to use a tiny bit with quite a bit of water.

Cheers Charlie

The brands aren't special per se, it's mostly the type and technique that you're lookin' to replicate.

I had a car in my shop today painted a satin black, it looked really nice. Smooth to the touch, even spray, no lines, waves, or ripples. The trim was removed and the masking was done right. It looked like it was done in a booth. It turns out the guy did a rattle can job. He put a truck load of time and patience tearing it down, priming it right, smoothing and wet sanding, etc. he kept a wet edge by only working small sections, etc, etc.

My point is its not always about the best most specific tools,....sometimes all you need is some patience and a little good technique and talent to make things look awesome.
Char's tools are simple, it's his technique, time and patience that are really poppin' on this job.

The Warhammer 40k hobby paints can be found at most Tabletop hobby/game stores, or can be ordered from thier website, just google it.
All the rest of the paint types/colors can be found at any hobby/craft store.

The suede stuff is new to me, but I think a typical satin/flat type spray paint should be OK to use to get similar results. There are alot of texture type paints out there that might enhance the deep rust effect too.

Thanks feuerdog.I believe the paint is one of the most important parts and I am learning as I do each build.It's also one of my favourite parts, well that, and when you see the end result and ride it! :D The great thing about the suede paint is the way it goes on so easy, it has such a great feel and texture to it.Which really enhances the way that the other paints sit on top.

I have been thinking about sealing the paint today kram.I will need to seal it in some way, but I don't want it to shine, as this would spoil that aged look im after.I think the best thing to do would be to go over the top with a really matt varnish from quite far away, so as I get a very very fine layer.I used to use a Warhammer matt varnish on my metal models, and it's really good stuff.I will pop back and get some in the next few days, gives me an excuse to go back to the shop and see the amazing models again :D. I will post up the results when I try it.

It's all good Char... :D

Krylon makes a Suede finish spray, and it seems that in the USA it might be carried by some hobby/hardware stores, so I might have to get some to see whats it's like.

Can't wait to see the finished bike.

Hi everyone, update of the last couple of days.I took the forks off and asked a mate of mine if he could do some better welds on them, so they are now a lot stronger.The paint had to come off for that, so these have had a respray and I just need to do the paint flicking on them and they will be done.I have finished both wheels now.Today I gave the frame, forks, tank and wheels a coat of Matt Lacquer.I popped into my local paint shop and asked them for the mattest Lacquer and they mixed me some up.This stuff is perfect and doesn't change the paint at all.I was affaid it was going to change the nice rusty matt look and go all shiny but it hasn't.I have also made a start on the donor bicycle fender.

Pic as it was.
bt39.jpg

I didn't quite match up with the original bolt hole, so I drilled a new one.

bt41.jpg

bt40.jpg

This also allowed me to see how much room I have for an oil tank.More on that when I finish the template for it.

I then made a start on cutting the fender a little shorter.I drew out the line.It's roughly one inch from the middle fender support
arms.

bt42.jpg

bt43.jpg

bt44.jpg

I have rounded of the edges slightly now.It should give it a nice look.Sanded it down and painted it the two main colours, so it's nearly ready for paint flicking.

Got some pipe brackets from my local diy store and gave them a spray, again just need to do the paint flicking and rusting on them
and I can get the tank fixed in place.

bt45.jpg

More updates and pics soon.

Charlie

Hi everyone, well things have been moving along nicely.I have now sanded, painted, rust effected the rear fender and done the matt Lacquer over the top.The tyres are now on wheels and I have got rid of the logos on them, with a few very fine layers of cream paint.You can't really see it and it will dirty up over time i'm sure.I just didn't like the logos on the side walls, doesn't go with the bike at all.I have got the fender on, but still need some bolts for support arms, hopefully pick some up today or tomorrow.Fitted the crank, chain disc, pedals and handle bars.
After I have these on, I just had to see how it was looking, so I took it outside for a few pictures.Popped the seat of there too.I have managed to attach a seat post clamp underneath, so as it looks nice.The way it is in the last picture, is how it will look when the bike is finished.Quite pleased so far.I have started on the oil tank template, more pics on this and the fitting of the tank soon.

bt46.jpg

bt47.jpg

bt48.jpg

bt49.jpg

Charlie :D

Thanks Badmuller! :)

The forks cap was from the Hawthorne donor bicycle.I like the shallow one better than the chucky one that come on the repops forks and besides, it was already rusty, which was great.Keep an eye out, i'm sure you'll find one soon.

Would you agree that the tires look very "new" in comparison to the bike?
They look nice and it could fail, but have you thought about giving them the "old" look too?

char said:

:shock:

Hey Badmuller, yeah that's on the list to be done.They do look too clean at the moment, but have just put them on to see how its going.Been playing with a few ideas of how to dirty them.Either i go for good old fashioned dirt and rub it on with some old rags that I clean parts with or I use this great new stuff I have just heard about called devlin Mud, its a paint.I shall be doing a few test as I don't want to ruin the tyres as those things are expensive! Will keep updates coming with how it's going.I'm painting the gas and oil caps as I type! Pics soon.

Charlie

I've never had completely white tires, but I've had good luck making white walls look old and dirty. Just try to keep them clean while actually using the bike. :lol:

clap clap clap! excelent job man! great bike!

looks great :mrgreen:
to 'patina' the tires just work on some stuff then let the air out of your tires and pull them off and remount them a few times.....thatll get them nice and 'patina'd'....theres a reason why my whitewalls looks like this(not intentional....just need stop working and wash my hands more often :lol: )
tackymockdropouts003.jpg

Thanks everyone. :)

I think the tyres will dirty very quickly and over time they will blend in.Cheers Sensor, i think a few grubby finger marks could work. :D

Joeskustoms, I think once the tanks on there, you see it will add to it.I am currently drilling the holes for the brackets.

I am thinking it would look nice with the chain guard i have.After looking at it last night, it does look fun.Maybe I'll get a pic up and see what you guys
think.

Thanks for the kind words.More soon

Latest posts

Back