(BOTEN) "OUTLAW" ...Withdrawn from the build-off...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's freaking brilliant! So you got all those tubes cut out? Awesome vid and amazing how you did those tubes.
Wow! Quick reply there Chad! You must have watched the video almost as I pressed the post button! I was just working on getting photos uploaded for the next post and you had already replied! :thumbsup:

All the tubes got cut and cleaned:

18631820995_8d2e196975_z.jpg

I also did some welding! I was going to add the welding to the video animation, but it took 5 hours to do the 225 pictures that made that short 33 second video, and I decided that was enough!

So here are some pics instead!

18605457086_822d1e5753_z.jpg

18011171703_db6d777cd5_z.jpg

And here it is as it currently sits!

18444124120_d7c4ca189f_z.jpg

Here is a repost of video 9 for those that missed it at the base of the last page:

Luke.

Wow! Quick reply there Chad! You must have watched the video almost as I pressed the post button! I was just working on getting photos uploaded for the next post and you had already replied! :thumbsup:

Luke.

:21: Don't you hate that. Had to watch it twice. Nice work on the animation.

I'm probably the one of the few up over here. It's 4:20 am.

That frame is soooo cool. Just unreal.

:21: Don't you hate that. Had to watch it twice. Nice work on the animation.

I'm probably the one of the few up over here. It's 4:20 am.

That frame is soooo cool. Just unreal.
I tend to stay up to stupid hours on here too, the most posts happen from midnight to 6am here, that is when you guys start coming online normally!... ;)

Funkme said early on that the frame reminded her of RUFF Cycles style, I am starting to see that now, specially since I added the double curved down tube... I did cut all the tubes to do it the way it was laid out, but it looked all wrong and too straight, so grabbed the extra curves I had and redid it with the double. Very happy with it now! :cool2:

Luke.

Funkme said early on that the frame reminded her of RUFF Cycles style, I am starting to see that now, specially since I added the double curved down tube... I did cut all the tubes to do it the way it was laid out, but it looked all wrong and too straight, so grabbed the extra curves I had and redid it with the double. Very happy with it now! :cool2:

Luke.

Some of those RUFF bikes are pretty cool. I think what you've got going here is even cooler. Love the way it tapers down to the tire and the rake of the head tube. Can't wait to see the fork with it.

Frame is sick Luke!!!!!!
That video was brilliant too!

Some of those RUFF bikes are pretty cool. I think what you've got going here is even cooler. Love the way it tapers down to the tire and the rake of the head tube. Can't wait to see the fork with it.
Thanks man! :thumbsup:
Frame is sick Luke!!!!!!
That video was brilliant too!
:21: Glad you liked it! Thanks for the post in "Highlights" too!
I have wanted to try stop-motion-animation for many years, this seemed like a perfect opportunity! 225 pictures went into that 33 seconds! :eek:
I love the curves in the updated design! That's some good looking weld also.

The animated video was excellent!:41:
Thanks TRM!
Good looking welds...not snotty at all :)
I cheated a bit, the bits that were not going to be cleaned up are just a series of hot tacks with the mig, immediately after each other to keep the heat in the metal and the gas flow continuous. Looks a bit more interesting than a continuous smooth bead... ;)

Luke.

I filmed another video today, but still had not made a "Fluffy" for the microphone so it was pretty bad in the wind noise department. I will re-film it another day, in the meantime, here is some progress pictures for a change!

Started off by making a super long headtube by welding the two ends of a BMX threadless headtube to a piece of 38mm tube, then welded it into the frame. I made it extra long and used the heavy duty BMX ends because the long forks will put more load on the head area...

Then started work on mounting the rear single sided hub to the frame, started with those two 180 degree curves showed in an early video, but needed to add some length to them, so cut them at a little over half way and welded in some other longer radius curve that matches the top tube, that made them long enough to reach forward to the vertical bar on the frame.

Then made the vertical bar for the frame...

Then set up the frame and rear wheel on the bench with lots of spacers everywhere to get everything level and in the right place and notched the tubes to fit together...

Tacked it all up and here is how it currently sits:

18480593048_8d4698ab95_c.jpg

18482476309_2a93a320fe_z.jpg

Please excuse the average pics, I was not expecting to have to use them in the thread...

The centre bar that connects to the rear end will connect to the curved frame tube directly in front of the rear tire, giving the required strength to prevent any sideways movement.

Video 11 will get made soon, hopefully with the frame sitting upright so you get a better sense of how it looks...

Luke.

The centre bar that connects to the rear end will connect to the curved frame tube directly in front of the rear tire, giving the required strength to prevent any sideways movement.
Did a mock up of that on the pic to help explain what I meant:

18483732099_0af42eac16_z.jpg

Hopefully that makes some sense?

Luke.

I filmed another video today, but still had not made a "Fluffy" for the microphone so it was pretty bad in the wind noise department. I will re-film it another day, in the meantime, here is some progress pictures for a change!

Video 11 will get made soon, hopefully with the frame sitting upright so you get a better sense of how it looks...

Luke.

Luke, You don't have to make a new video if the audio is bad, just use a video editor (such as windows movie maker) and add a background soundtrack and turn the original video sound volume down to 0.

Thanks TRM and SoulGarage for the votes of confidence!
Luke, You don't have to make a new video if the audio is bad, just use a video editor (such as windows movie maker) and add a background soundtrack and turn the original video sound volume down to 0.
:thumbsup: Good idea, probably would not have worked with this one though, it was mainly me explaining stuff and pointing out features on the bike, I have made a microphone "Fluffy" now, so hopefully that will help for the next one!
So then that will have a jack shaft over to the cranks? You gonnna have any gears on it? Interested to see how you do the brake on there.

It's hard to describe how cool this build is. :thumbsup:
Thanks Chad! There will be a jackshaft between the vertical tube and the curved tube in front of the rear tire, it will go through the frame and have a 7 speed freewheel on the other side that will connect forward to the cranks, similar to what I did on "BigJim":

9298471767_218042f3a3_z.jpg

9299363950_c8efcecb63_z.jpg

I will be leaving the front chain on the proper side this time and using a normal bike chain for the rear instead of that heavy M/C chain though. Not sure if the disc brake will be on the jackshaft or at the back wheel yet, still making some of this up as I go along... :whistle:

Luke.

Got some better pics of the work done yesterday.

Headtube fabricated and welded on:

18505614848_8ab7127b70_z.jpg

The rear twin bars from side on:

18695727561_48327230ca_z.jpg

From on top:

18505614838_4192c38b3f_z.jpg

I had a thought just as I woke up this morning, that I could add another two tubes from the curved bar in front of the tire out to the twin side bars, that would give them two extra points of contact and I probably would not need the third centre stay any more. Something like this mock up of the top tube:

18505614648_c9c103ebf3_z.jpg

There would be a matching tube on the lower stay too...

Pretty sure that would be plenty strong enough to hold it, plus I think the removal of the third stay looks better too?

What do you guys and girls think?

Luke.

I like that idea better than the 3rd tube. Should be a lot stronger too since you're triangulating those 2 tubes. Stronger + looks better = no brainer IMO. Maybe use that other stump in the middle for a disc brake mount?

I'm glad all I have left to do to mine is polish it and put a couple stickers on..:21:

I like that idea better than the 3rd tube. Should be a lot stronger too since you're triangulating those 2 tubes. Stronger + looks better = no brainer IMO. Maybe use that other stump in the middle for a disc brake mount?

I'm glad all I have left to do to mine is polish it and put a couple stickers on..:21:
:thumbsup:
I just came in from outside and I actually had the frame chocked up and the wheel spinning freely with only three tacks on each of those tubes, so with the extra braces in there it will be plenty strong!
Not sure if I will keep the stump on there for the brake or just cut it off and clean the hub up at this point, will have to decide when I get there...

Luke.

Back