(BOTEN) "OUTLAW" ...Withdrawn from the build-off...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Luke, I am already jealous of the accent. I really like your rims, but I am find of that moto mag. Is it possible to have the moto mag center water jet cut using a single piece of metal and then welding that into the wheel hoop. It would be nice to CNC the whole thing but I can't imagine what that would cost. Water jet tends to be affordable though and you can already weld so I like that suggestion as a future option.

So far the bike is looking good. I really like the wheel jig. Great work.

- by Gigmata

Hey Luke, I am already jealous of the accent. I really like your rims, but I am find of that moto mag. Is it possible to have the moto mag center water jet cut using a single piece of metal and then welding that into the wheel hoop. It would be nice to CNC the whole thing but I can't imagine what that would cost. Water jet tends to be affordable though and you can already weld so I like that suggestion as a future option.

So far the bike is looking good. I really like the wheel jig. Great work.

- by Gigmata
Thanks Gig, glad you like my 'Strayn accent!
Pretty sure I will be leaving the wheels 5 spoke at this point, time is running out to get this done and off to powdercoating...

I will be re-visiting the MotoMag idea sometime in the future though!

Luke.

Looking great Luke!! Can't wait to see it finished. I can't see me getting any further on my build though. Too busy with work, gigs and applying for new jobs, and what free time I do have, I'm spending with with my family and resting.

Got some better pics of the work done yesterday.

Headtube fabricated and welded on:

18505614848_8ab7127b70_z.jpg

The rear twin bars from side on:

18695727561_48327230ca_z.jpg

From on top:

18505614838_4192c38b3f_z.jpg

I had a thought just as I woke up this morning, that I could add another two tubes from the curved bar in front of the tire out to the twin side bars, that would give them two extra points of contact and I probably would not need the third centre stay any more. Something like this mock up of the top tube:

18505614648_c9c103ebf3_z.jpg

There would be a matching tube on the lower stay too...

Pretty sure that would be plenty strong enough to hold it, plus I think the removal of the third stay looks better too?

What do you guys and girls think?

Luke.
You've probably already decided to go with plan 'B', but I still like the three brace idea. I'm sure that either one will work though.
Before you remove the 'stump', you might consider using it to mount the jack shaft. Possibly leaving it free floating in the front. Try to imagine a sort of question mark shaped tube with the top end of it going directly into the center of the shaft. Maybe that makes sense.

Looking great Luke!! Can't wait to see it finished. I can't see me getting any further on my build though. Too busy with work, gigs and applying for new jobs, and what free time I do have, I'm spending with with my family and resting.
I was looking forward to your build Bean, but understand priorities...
Great work man always think it great to see some one build a bike from scratch . Awesome vision & fabrication [emoji232]
Thanks G-Matt!
You've probably already decided to go with plan 'B', but I still like the three brace idea. I'm sure that either one will work though.
Before you remove the 'stump', you might consider using it to mount the jack shaft. Possibly leaving it free floating in the front. Try to imagine a sort of question mark shaped tube with the top end of it going directly into the center of the shaft. Maybe that makes sense.
Someone is reading my mind... :39:
Not sure yet, but it will stay until that decision is made, I still need to provide adjustment for the rear chain at the jackshaft, so need to consider that too...

Luke.

You are almost on a "roll" now. :)

Someone is reading my mind... :39:
Not sure yet, but it will stay until that decision is made, I still need to provide adjustment for the rear chain at the jackshaft, so need to consider that too...

Luke.

Maybe the '?' could slide fore and aft on the stump.

You are almost on a "roll" now. :)
I had the frame propped up today and gave the back wheel a good spin! :D So good to see it in action!
So much planning and designing has gone into this bike, far more than any of my others and it is just so good to finally see it coming together and working as I hoped! Now I just have to hope the fork works as I intended!
Maybe the '?' could slide fore and aft on the stump.
Good thinking!

Luke.

I think its time to bring out jaw drop koala again. Everything is so epic i'm lost for words.:41:
That is awesome! How appropriate that he turns up for the first time this year in an Aussie build! :113:
Looking good.
Thanks KJV!

Guess what? New videos next post!

Luke.

Looks amazing,you've got some mad skills. I'm still teaching myself to weld,hope to be able to build full custom frames soon. Lots of inspiration here

Looks amazing,you've got some mad skills. I'm still teaching myself to weld,hope to be able to build full custom frames soon. Lots of inspiration here
Looking forward to seeing you build your own frames Falstaff! Always interesting to see what people come up with!

Luke.

Enjoyed the videos Luke! It really is coming together...looking forward to the next "episode" of The Outlaw!

Really amazing work there Luke! Are you going to mount the cranks in front of the curved down tube? Will be interesting to see where the seat and cranks end up. You are definitely on a roll...:thumbsup:

+Did you build the front wheel already? Did I miss that part?

Back