Bought a cheap Murray at a yard sale

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Repainted it and added a few things to make it a little more fun to ride. It's gonna be my rider for now but I am still waiting on some brick colored Grand Tycoon tires.

S6303480.jpg

z.jpg

z4-1.jpg

z5.jpg

z3.jpg

For electric bicycle use only? I'd like to hear the reasoning behind that claim. Nice paint job.

Sweet! Basic, clean, good-looking ride - got to love it!

Thanks. My dream is to build a motorized board track style bike one day. I think my next project is going to be a 26" Schwinn Aerosport (I love Schwinns). I was disappointed that they were 24" but I think I can mod a 26" frame like the Aero fairly easy. I do auto body repair and paint work for a living, but I've never mod'ed much on bikes since the bikes I usually work with are restorations. I can't wait to cut and weld on a cruiser frame.

I know this bike is nothing compared to most of the bikes here. It is my first 26" cruiser (I am into old school BMX stuff) and I just wanted to show what could be done on a very cheap budget and a short time table. I wanted to keep it very rideable but have a little bit of a flair to it.

Here's where I'm gonna end up on this bike:

$20.00 yard sale Murray Santa Cruz cruiser (luckily it was like new...must have been in a garage)
nothing for paint and supplies...I already had it all
$5.00 grips off the Walmart clearance shelf
$12.87 for the seat off of ebay (honey brown to match the grips I had)
$30.00 for Grand Tycoon tires off of ebay (not in yet)
$4.00 Marwi pedals off of ebay
$2.00 valve caps off of ebay
Nothing in chopping the bars...I have a recip. saw
Nothing in cleaning everthing and repacking the brgs

That's it...around $100.00 (inc. shipping on the ebay stuff) and done all but tires in less than a week. Fun factor...priceless!

S6303542.jpg

meatwad1 said:
For electric bicycle use only? I'd like to hear the reasoning behind that claim. Nice paint job.

Yeah I don't get that. I bought those tires dirt cheap on ebay for my mountain bike (to use on the street) but I never put them on. :?:

Got the tires in today....I also added a lay back seat post off of one of my BMX bikes for a few more inches of leg room. Rides very nice...time to start another project! :D

d2.jpg

d-3.jpg

d5.jpg

Popped the chain guard off and I think it looks alot better...so now I think I need some vintage cranks and sprocket. Found some cranks in the parts heap but I'm gonna have to order a sprocket.

This bike sure road funky with those chopped off bars and I was really needing to ride this one last weekend....so I dug around in the garage and found some mtn bike handlebars. Flipped them and painted them. They haven't grown on me yet as far as the looks....but it sure rides good now. 8)

S6303672.jpg

StepChld said:
How comfy is that saddle for say 8 miles or so?

I'll never know...I'd never ride a single speed cruiser that far. But then again this is Tennessee...might be different if was flater. :lol:

Got this bike out for Tour de Fat but I wasn't feeling the bars. Stole some bars from one of my girlfriends bikes and flipped them. Also added some black rims. Want to add a springer fork and change out the cranks soon.

eea01858.jpg

Back