***BRIGHTLINER*** Update 10,0 - Virginia Beach Appearance!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ***Not-So BRIGHTLINER*** Update #5.1 - Got a Handle(bar)!

Tiny update.....Just finished truing the front wheel, now both are trued, but the back needs attention.

Which begs a question....the calculator says I need 260mm spokes, so I pull out the 260's and lace'm up! Get it trued and about 12 of the 36 spokes protrude past the nipple on the tube side. My LBS guy told me I had one side laced for an A rim, but it was a B rim, so I relaced it properly and still have the same problem.

Also, short of buying MORE spokes, OR trimming and rethreading (my guy has a threader), can I CAREFULLY file or grind the tip of the protruding spokes flush with the nipple?

Re: ***Not-So BRIGHTLINER*** Update #5.0 - Got a Handle(bar)!

grind it gently, love the natural metal look!

Re: ***Not-So BRIGHTLINER*** Update #5.0 - Got a Handle(bar)!

Thanks guys! I'll "fit" the spokes this evening.

Next challenge is to find/build a seat that reflects the rest of the build. I dismantled a beach cruiser seat that may work. I just need to figure out whether or not to cover the seat or leave it raw. The rub is, the metal seat pan is not nearly as "aged" as the other raw bits, but we'll see...........

Re: ***Not-So BRIGHTLINER*** Update #6.0 - Rolling Beef!!

Got the spokes trimmed down and then mounted the tires....all 2.4 inches of beefy rubber goodness!

2012-07-31_17-56-37_994.jpg

This is ABSOLUTELY all the tire you can stuff between the forks and stays....

2012-07-31_17-57-40_961.jpg

2012-07-31_17-58-05_205.jpg

2012-07-31_17-58-29_491.jpg

Wheel/tire combo......

2012-07-31_17-59-23_973.jpg

I swung by the LBS and picked up a new chain, but got home to find the pin in my chain tool had fallen out and was nowhere to be found. So, another trip to the LBS for a chain tool tomorrow.

I also covered the cruiser seat with gray vinyl to see if I liked it. I'm not sure....I'll look at it in the morning as I take more progress pics. Stay tuned for Update 6.5.....

Re: ***Not-So BRIGHTLINER*** Update 65.0 - Rolling Beef!!

Alright, she's a rolling beauty!!!

Re: ***Not-So BRIGHTLINER*** Update 65.0 - Rolling Beef!!

kingfish254 said:
Alright, she's a rolling beauty!!!

Thanks, KF! Not nearly the attention to detail as yours, but coming from you, I know it's a compliment!

Re: ***Not-So BRIGHTLINER*** Update 6.0 - Rolling Beef!!

Love the rim trick you used, I need to do that sometime.

As for not drilling on the seam, I agree, but how about drawing or painting a black circle there for the illusion and continuity.

Re: ***Not-So BRIGHTLINER*** Update 6.0 - Rolling Beef!!

Hadn't really thought about that.....might just leave it as-is as I'm running out of time! :D

Re: ***Not-So BRIGHTLINER*** Update 7.0 -Done???

It's time to step back and take a long (but not too long) look at the fruit of my labor.....

2012-08-01_17-01-24_168.jpg

2012-08-01_17-01-40_154.jpg

2012-08-01_17-02-01_71.jpg

Occasionally, I kinda wonder if it needs a little color, then I feel the natural, raw look is where it's at.

Obviously, I acquired a new chain tool. Came home and fitted the chain, then took it for a little ride around the block.....it rides really good, but I do have to make allowances to keep my inner thighs as the Lord gave them to me!

I guess a good cleaning is in order, then final "formal" photos either tomorrow evening or Friday afternoon.

Re: ***Not-So BRIGHTLINER*** Update 7.0 - Done???

Seat needs to be black, just being honest. For a little color you could get red grips and cover the seat to match or any other grip+seat combo, throw on colored pedals for a color hat trick. Or just go silver/black.

Thanks YG! That's probably what's bothering me about the "big picture".....I need to see if I can find some black vinyl. Otherwise it may be a raw metal seat pan.

I think I have resolved to leave it raw and black! But that may change.....

Can't you get some fabric paint and paint it black? There has to be something on the market. Just be sure to let it dry completely! :shock:

"IF" you did decide to add color, I would throw in some red pieces.

Wait wait wait... why are we talking about adding color accent pieces, we're talking to a pinstriper here!

GET OUT YOUR BRUSH!

yoothgeye said:
Wait wait wait... why are we talking about adding color accent pieces, we're talking to a pinstriper here!

GET OUT YOUR BRUSH!

In that case, strip the seat down to metal, bust out the brushes and hit the seat pan and rack with some color! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have given that some thought....and still may, but I was leaning toward leaving it metal and black. (Chrome is a metal, you know!!!)

Hmmmmmmmm....

Re: ***Not-So BRIGHTLINER*** Update 7.1 - The Squeeze!!

OK, guys! Let's see how tight I can push the deadline!

The more I thought about it, the more I realized you were right and the sheetmetal needs some 1-Shot!

So, last night I pulled the vinyl off the seatpan, cleaned the 3M 77 off the pan, and degreased the rear rack. Tonight, I'll break out the squirrel hair and see what happens!

brett4christ said:
OK, guys! Let's see how tight I can push the deadline!

The more I thought about it, the more I realized you were right and the sheetmetal needs some 1-Shot!

So, last night I pulled the vinyl off the seatpan, cleaned the 3M 77 off the pan, and degreased the rear rack. Tonight, I'll break out the squirrel hair and see what happens!

Yay!

^^ Thanks, dude! Now, I gotta think through the design......

Re: ***Not-So BRIGHTLINER*** Update 8.0 - Earned Its stripes!

First off, Thanks to all that had recommendations and ideas. They were all taken to heart!

Now for the stripes...

2012-08-02_18-31-56_790.jpg

2012-08-02_18-32-09_365.jpg
2012-08-02_18-32-34_336.jpg

2012-08-02_18-33-20_883.jpg
2012-08-02_18-33-41_124.jpg

2012-08-02_18-37-17_308.jpg

And I remembered that I had the Galaxy Flyer under the house with its original red sparkle grips. So, it gave them up for the cause!

All that to say, I think I'm done! Only thing left is a good cleaning and some artsy photos somewhere besides my back yard! :D

Back