Budzillacycles - Furniture build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not sure yet if the end result will have the Rat Rod look, but here is what I'm up to....

I had been wanting to build another bike for a while, but I hadn't been inspired enough to build anything. That all changed today. Today I found my 'muse'.

I was at the Salvation army store this morning looking at the bikes and it occurred to me that I should see if they have any exercise equipment I might be able to create a new rear end for the square tube bike I built.

I didn't find anything good in the 'gym equipment' area, but walking up the aisle near the furniture this shelving unit caught my eye. I studied it long enough to make the employees there wonder what it was I was doing :mrgreen: I then notice down the aisle a little is a stool with the same tubing. The legs had a cool bend to them. I decided I had to buy them.

This is what I had to stuff into my little car -

Newbikes003.jpg

I got the stuff home and started thinking about just how I was going to release the bike hiding inside the shelving at that stool.

I started by taking the stool apart and cutting one leg set in half -

Newbikes005.jpg

I played around with them halves on the jig until I felt I had something I could live with -

Newbikes006.jpg

I got both sides on and tacked in place -

Newbikes008.jpg

I was going to use both top pieces to create double tube on the back bone, but I decided not to. The tubing wall thickness is on average as thick as most bike frames. I don't think it will be too weak since it's a cruiser. I am trying to build the whole frame out of just the shelf and stool tubing so I have to really think out my tube cutting before I commit. It's fun to just build something, it's been a while.

Newbikes009.jpg

Newbikes010.jpg

Newbikes007.jpg

This is the first bike I am restraining myself with and not building for myself only. I built the square tube bike for my legs and my wife complains she can't ride it cuz her legs are to short to reach the pedals LOL.

I will put the BB out front a little, just not too extreme. Now back out to the garage!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Bud - Can I have the number to your "I'm in la-la land drugs" dealer.

Your off ya head.

When was the last time you bilt a normal bike? That I would love to see, but untill then keep blowing me away with your...... ummmm....... that thang....

Ok, I had a little time this morning before I have to leave soon. Here is where I'm right now. The rear triangle is the most work. Well maybe not, I still have to figure out how to connect the B.B. _ look at it sitting way out there. I have measurements written down from a while ago for the relationship of the seat and crank that was comfortable for me and that is where that needs to be. I'll make it work....

Newbikebuild001.jpg

Newbikebuild002.jpg

Just curious if the wall thickness on this frame will be strong enough?

I'm guessing it is or you wouldn't have gone to the trouble.

Bud,
this is amazing.
I can't wait to see the finish job.

You and chainsaw need to work togehter on a project. Can't imagine what you boys would come up with!!! :shock:

Ok, I had a little time this morning before I had to leave. Here is where I'm at right now. The rear triangle is the most work. Well maybe not, I still have to figure out how to connect the B.B. - look at it sitting way out there. I have measurements written down from a while ago for the relationship of the seat and crank that was comfortable for me and that is where that needs to be. I'll make it work....

Newbikebuild001.jpg

Newbikebuild002.jpg

@ Jetro -- Why would I build a 'normal' bike? This is what the FreakBike Militia is all about! LOL I have plenty of normal bikes. I just wish I had time to be as prolific as my hero KennyP.

@ Rat Rod -- Yeah the wall thickness is equal to the frame scraps laying around my garage. You are right, I certainly wouldn't be building it if I thought it wouldn't work.

i love the flow of the frame sweeping in the the rear ... its going to be awesome to see finished ..... btw nice jig i think maybe i need to build one like that too....

The bike is looking shiny cool! The way it bows back at the rider is kinda reminiscent of having to dance with all the fat chicks when I worked at the bar! :mrgreen:
But be honest Budz, this was a Mother's Day gift that never made it to Momma 'Zilla. Poor ol' girl is probably crying her eyes out as she hangs up the macaroni art that you gave her instead of the shelves and seat! :cry:
Get it done cause I wanna Ride!
Chainy

Back