BUILD OFF #9 RULES EXPERIMENT?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you be in favor of this experiment?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Wondering how many folks would be opposed to experimenting with this year's build off rules?

Thinking seriously about laying down some basic guidelines like...

1. Cannot have started build before May 1st.
2. You can only enter one bike in the build off (can change bikes once if needed)
3. Start a new post and use the bike name as the post "Subject/Title." Keep a running journal in your thread about your build.
4. Must include before, progress, and finished photos (all in one thread please)
5. Bike must be rideable

So basically it would just be a big wide open anything goes competition and we'd vote as usual for the top three bikes. We saw from last year that while the division between traditional and anything goes was helpful, in the end, the traditional builds still dominated the competition.

It's all about fun & building,& making friends with the same addiction along the way... Who needs rules? :crazy:

I liked it the way it was last year. I admit though that some traditional builders would prefer it so they can powder coat or make minor changes to the frame without overstepping the rules...

Luke.

One goal in this from a moderating standpoint is that it will eliminate most of the questions we get.

I think people understand the general vibe of this forum so if they build something way off track that clearly isn't related to what we do here it will show in the votes.

Also, since there really is no financial gain from winning this competition, I think most folks would hesitate paying someone to do all of the work for them. Even if someone else does do all the work for you, there's still no guarantee that people will like it and vote for it.

A lot of people have skills,and that was seen in last years builds with the anything goes section,and lot of builders have imagination!. I think it depends on the flavor of the month,and what excites voters in the end...I would like to see more kids and women get in on the action...

I like the trimmed up rules. You could put Fordsnakes bike against any that I see on the web daily and it would still get my vote. My point is we all know what effort goes into making a fun bike that looks great to us and to others.
We all have similar tastes but our eyes catch on different aspects of bike builds. I feel that the votes will still pour in on a well built bike no matter the style or efforts put into it.
Build a bike and have fun sharing the build. Then go ride the wheels off of it!!

As someone who hasn't been in one of the build offs here, I have no idea how this impacts others, however with no prizes, realistically the looser the rules the more imaginative people will get IMO.

I know for one, my build maybe so off the wall that the less rules the better.

For example the whole "must not be built yet" well, What if you buy your building a bike that's already complete, but your going to break it down to repaint and regrease everything, would that count as being built already or no?

The whole must not have started build before the entry date thing is somewhat confusing to me though, what type of limitations can that really entail. For example, say someone has a bike missing a tank, them purchasing one for the bike in preparation for the build off before the date, how would that really differ from; for example, someone that makes a custom tank but doesn't attach it to the bike. In both cases, you are sourcing a tank from a source other than the original bike, but in 1 case you bought one, and the other you built it, but in both cases for example, you would just have a tank ready to go for the build before the start date.

Not trying to nitpick or get around stuff, and I don't know how situations like that have popped up in previous build offs or not and how they were dealt with.

I plan on going through with my build whether or not its in the build off or not, and havn't done anything other than collect parts for it so far.

People have been known to document a build they did several years ago and try to pass it off here like they just started it for the build off. The whole point is to have people participate in an event at the same time everyone else is. That's the essence of that rule...nothing more.

I think back in the day people had concerns that someone who did fabrication work professionally could have an unfair advantage over folks who were just painting their bike and swapping tires out. This would be people who cared about winning. Most folks who participate in these build offs do it mostly for fun so it's not that big of a deal.

There was also this idea at one time that you were no longer building a "Rat Rod" if you fabricated a bike from scratch. It was more of an issue of keeping it in line with the hot rodder mentality. Over the years we've seen a progression on the site that has shown that traditional bikes and full on customs have their place here.

The problem is my actual build was going to be called "The Loophole" and I planned to skirt around the "Bolt anything you like to the frame." rule with some pretty creative stuff "bolted" to the bike.

Oh I can't wait. I have some pretty interesting ideas and things I am going to "bolt" onto my bike as well. So much so, that I wonder if I will have time to really finish the build in the allotted time. And of those things that I'm bolting on, and can you work on those before the build off as they "technically" aren't part of the bike, and similar items could be bought, its sort of a large grey area IMO.

Specifically, say you want to fabricate some stuff, lets just say out of wood, or a 3d Printer, or metalwork. Is working on those pieces beforehand considerered Ok or not.

Specifically, say you want to fabricate some stuff, lets just say out of wood, or a 3d Printer, or metalwork. Is working on those pieces beforehand considerered Ok or not.

That is still fabricating or building part of your bike before the start date, so my opinion is that you would be jumping the gun. The build off (and therefore the actual building) doesn't start until May 1.

Last edited:
I'm perfectly fine with the streamlined rules. I honestly don't think that powdercoating or welding gives anyone an unfair advantage over another.

I guess there is no rule preventing a bike club doing a team build. It could be argued that would be an unfair advantage, but the hassle of gaining a consensus and a cohesive style would also be a hindrance, so it's probably a wash. I prefer the idea of individual builders, but others may disagree.

I would suggest that the following old rule remains though
  • Don't ask a bunch of goofy questions trying to get around the rules...just build a cool bike and have fun.

Love it, how about having rewards for top 5 though? Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back