BUILD OFF #9 RULES EXPERIMENT?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you be in favor of this experiment?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love it, how about having rewards for top 5 though? Just a thought.

Take a look at the Prize Pots for the past few build offs. For the most part the prizes are donated by RRB members with some coming from the site and sponsors. The categories went far and beyond just the top three and are created by the RRB members themselves. Think up a category and offer up a prize.
Last year we had about 27 prizes given out

Last edited:
i personally liked the traditional / anything goes split
but i think if you where to go with the streamlined rules it would be more fair if you kept the same format as last year for build off 9
then either at the end of this build off or at least 6 month before the next build off announce the change to the build off rules and format

This may be a game changer lol. Sounds like its worth a try, Like someone else said you never know what will win each year. Really the idea is to build a cool bike. I use it to push my skills to the next level while building a cool bike with out spending alot of money.

i personally liked the traditional / anything goes split
but i think if you where to go with the streamlined rules it would be more fair if you kept the same format as last year for build off 9
then either at the end of this build off or at least 6 month before the next build off announce the change to the build off rules and format
Why the wait, rules change all the time and the whole point of the build off is to have fun. The split or should I say anything goes was a change and I don't think it was announced until just before this last build off.

Beside it worked well in the winter build off that we just had.

I'm scared and confused now....so many rules!! I just
finished my 47 Columbia ratty rod started this year but can't
illegally enter it into this next one? Question: How many per year? And how
many per year should there be? Maybe just one? Maybe have all-time
running favorites? Maybe take a vote on # of build-offs/yr....
I just wish I had more parts laying around so I could do
multiple builds per ano...

I'm scared and confused now....so many rules!! I just
finished my 47 Columbia ratty rod started this year but can't
illegally enter it into this next one? Question: How many per year? And how
many per year should there be? Maybe just one? Maybe have all-time
running favorites? Maybe take a vote on # of build-offs/yr....
I just wish I had more parts laying around so I could do
multiple builds per ano...

There is only one Rat Rod Bikes Build Off (RRBBO) each year and it has rules controlled by the site (Steve (Rat Rod)). Other build offs can and are started and run by RRB individuals whenever they want to throw one together.
See rule one in regards to entering a bike that was started before May 1st.
RRBBO rules apply only to the annual RRBBO. One RRBBO per year. You can enter or start as many other build offs as you want. You can build as many bikes as you want regardless of build offs.

There is only one Rat Rod Bikes Build Off (RRBBO) each year and it has rules controlled by the site (Steve (Rat Rod)). Other build offs can and are started and run by RRB individuals whenever they want to throw one together.
See rule one in regards to entering a bike that was started before May 1st.
RRBBO rules apply only to the annual RRBBO. One RRBBO per year. You can enter or start as many other build offs as you want. You can build as many bikes as you want regardless of build offs.
HAHAHA
I do believe he was trying to be funny...

HAHAHA
I do believe he was trying to be funny...

Ah, See what happens when you leave out the last rule :crazy:
Don't ask a bunch of goofy questions trying to get around the rules...just build a cool bike and have fun.

:mad:WHY ARE YOU POINTING A GUN AT MY HEAD AND FORCING ME TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS FASCIST RULE BUILD-OFF THING?!?!:aggressive::cry::headbang:

:crazy::rofl:
I keed, I keed! :p The original, the split, and the suggested simplified versions are all fine by me.:cool2:

I'm not building in this one but I like the simplified rules idea. When I vote for a favorite of mine, I vote on the final look of the bike when it's finished. I don't consider what it took to get it there. You could spend a lot of time fabricating or rebuilding something & still have a crappy looking bike, or you can hit a home run. If you build something YOU like, you will be happy with the result. If other people like it that is the icing on the cake. Just my opinion. I have seen many awesome bikes built in both catagories.

I want to build a bike called the "Disqualifier" where I break every rule in the build off...dang, was that out loud? I'm trademarking & copyrighting that right now!

I see the point that it's supposed to be the owner doing the build. For me that's all part of the joy and satisfaction in it. This from a guy who probably only finishes 1 out of 5 builds before getting too busy to finish... I have certainly learned a lot over the years, especially improving my paint skills.

I would encourage everyone to try to push their skills, and if you are lacking in one department, find a friend who can show you how!

I would encourage everyone to try to push their skills, and if you are lacking in one department, find a friend who can show you how!

AMEN!

I want to build a bike called the "Disqualifier" where I break every rule in the build off...dang, was that out loud? I'm trademarking & copyrighting that right now!

I see the point that it's supposed to be the owner doing the build. For me that's all part of the joy and satisfaction in it. This from a guy who probably only finishes 1 out of 5 builds before getting too busy to finish... I have certainly learned a lot over the years, especially improving my paint skills.

Or try to do it anyway the best you can...

Simplified rules rock. We're playin' for Monopoly money anyway.

We just finished The Winter Build Off with rules very similar to the proposed.
Skills didn't matter at all. Beautiful stretched and custom scratch built bikes languished in the back of the pack... You can talk about pushing the limits but bolted together mediocrity ruled. The only bike that scored correctly (IMO) was the winner... OBVIOUSLY, this is a Rat Rod oriented forum and contest, But I think two categories benefits the custom builders, rather than leaving them wondering if they are appreciated at all, they have a category where they can shine. We could keep shoving them to the back of the pack but how long would you hang around where you feel unwanted?

Carl.

I think in the end it comes down to how the bike looks...regardless of how you get there.

Like a few others have stated...someone can fabricate everything on a bike from scratch and it can still look lousy. Alternatively, someone can stick with a stock frame and bolt so much crap onto it that it looks hideous too. These build offs seem to favor a solid balance of style and creativity. If done well, even the most low key bikes from a fabrication perspective stand out.

We just finished The Winter Build Off with rules very similar to the proposed.
Skills didn't matter at all. Beautiful stretched and custom scratch built bikes languished in the back of the pack... You can talk about pushing the limits but bolted together mediocrity ruled. The only bike that scored correctly (IMO) was the winner... OBVIOUSLY, this is a Rat Rod oriented forum and contest, But I think two categories benefits the custom builders, rather than leaving them wondering if they are appreciated at all, they have a category where they can shine. We could keep shoving them to the back of the pack but how long would you hang around where you feel unwanted?

Carl.
The only problem with your theory is some of the builds (during the winter build off) that scored high involved welding and that shoves them into the anything goes category under last years big build off setup. I doubt the custom builders will feel left out. Besides even Rat Rods need a torch taken to them once in a while so that ratty part you want to use on it will fit.

I think in the end it comes down to how the bike looks...regardless of how you get there.

Like a few others have stated...someone can fabricate everything on a bike from scratch and it can still look lousy. Alternatively, someone can stick with a stock frame and bolt so much crap onto it that it looks hideous too. These build offs seem to favor a solid balance of style and creativity. If done well, even the most low key bikes from a fabrication perspective stand out.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back