Can I get some advice on a CL find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this swing bike this morning... http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/602331221.html I don't know anything about them or their value but I thought this might be a fun project.
Does anyone think $100 dollars is too much, fair or a rip off?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Thanks... I've learned a little about them in the past 30 minutes. Seems like it would be fun as all "blank" to ride. I'll probably be eating dust left and right.
If I do get it I want to see what I can do to tweek the style a little bit... but since it's built for a single purpose I don't know what I can play with without making it a true pain to ride.
Should be fun... If I get it I will leave the yellow patina... just some clear coat. Or better yet a raincoat for this Seattle weather.

That one has a 'ways to go' to be restored...parts are pretty rare.

Keep an eye on this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-original-VINTA ... dZViewItem

I have seen them in pretty good shape (all there) as low as $400-$500.

But as a starting point for a custom restore...why not? :D

P.S. check it well for cracks on the frame.

Thanks for the tips... I'm thinking that if i did a full restore I'd probably just try to find one of the recent repos and use it for parts on the origional frame. I do imagine a bike with the extra moving parts would end up being that much more work to restore.

$100 is an unbelievabley great deal. If its the original, the CL link was deleted by Author, so I couldnt see it. I have one in primer right now, I've had it for like 10 years. :roll: I dont think there doing repops though? Sometimes you can find minty ones on ebay for about $300-400. Get it!!!!!!! Parts? there isnt anything special except for the spring assembly stuff, just rechrome that.

there was some reproductions made a while back, i dont know if they were EXACT copies but they were all a dark navy blue maybe black color i think, the guy that had em was selling them for $500 ea. i believe. as long as its all there you could get close to $300 for it from what ive seen.

at $100 i would do it

I ended up not getting it... the seller had already parted with it by the time I was able to get a response. I though it would be fun.
The repos came out a couple years back and are as expensive as the originals. Kinda pointless in my eyes apparently they made them a little sturdier.
All in all I think they are pretty classy and I'm still looking for one if anyone is selling.

Latest posts

Back