Can you help me identify this?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have this bike(well it's actually my wife's)... I think it's a hawthorn(or is it hawthorne?)...I don't really know. Could someone help give me a clue as to where to look to identify it, ideas about it, etc... The main reason I think it's a hawthorn is it has these nifty chain adjusters on the back wheel... I can take and post more pics if needed. Any help would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure the chainguard is from a schwinn, only the badge is missing...
2699151459_106a4dec6f_o.jpg

If that chainguard isnt a Wald (stamped somewhere --aftermarket accessories company) then it might be a Colson bicycle. It's a Prewar bike!

Thanks. I tore it down last night... My wife wants easier gears to pedal so I've now got a crank and chaindrive sprocket(stamped WALD inside) a chain(one of the links snapped...) and a rear wheel with split-tooth hub up for grabs if anyone needs it... I hate to see it go but she like lower-geared bikes... Some purist would probably shoot me for taking out the drivetrain but oh well. That's why I'm a ratter not a restorer. ;-) And that's why i'm here. It'll be 2-tone black and white. It's what she wants, and if Mama aint happy aint nobody happy.

That sprocket is definitely Hawthorne, and the frame is surely CWC (Cleveland Welding Co.), who made bikes for Ward's as well as Roadmasters. The curved rear frame stays are a dead giveaway! The pinstripes are very Elgin-esque, but I have a ladie's Hawthorne in the same funky green. The rack looks like a '20s motorbike era piece. Neat stuff! ~Adam

Thanks for everyon'e's input. Between here and the database over at the CABE, I've got it down to a pre-wwII Hawthorne. Thanks Everyone!

Latest posts

Back