Cheater Slick: my first muscle build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this is the color of the green seat
1671285550185.png

Got few things done today. Shortened the fork tube to match the frame.
IMG_1604.JPG

It's a much better fit now
IMG_1605.JPG

I got the cranks apart and have all the head set and bottom bracket parts soaking in WD. The chrome stuff is being treated to an Oxalic acid bath. It should clean up nice.
IMG_1606.JPG

The green seat I bought from CRASH showed up today and it's pretty cool!
IMG_1608.JPG

It's a potential but I'm leaning toward the red one at the moment. I really like the colors on this Judge 5, which was built by @CRASH
1671340858664.png

I'm probably going to go this route on colors if I can get the paints. I've got some vintage red sparkle grips on the way and I got some lace to use for the chain guard paint. If I have time to get all this done.
1671341145645.png

I ran into a snag dimpling the stays today. The tubing is basically dimpling on both sides, or crushing. I'm going to try more heat where I want the dimple. I'll get my dad to weigh in as well, he's retired welder/fabricator so he may have some insight.

These are not the ones I sent you thought I took a picture but you get the idea.yours are much better. Sent three sets, black,white. I usually use the negatives and paint the stencil on. Place it on the guard and paint with latex glue or clear coat the forms a seal to prevent bleeding. Then sponge the paint on or you can just use the decal.
IMG_20221218_100157659.jpg

The ones you got have all the details. Hope they make it on time.

These are not the ones I sent you thought I took a picture but you get the idea.yours are much better. Sent three sets, black,white. I usually use the negatives and paint the stencil on. Place it on the guard and paint with latex glue or clear coat the forms a seal to prevent bleeding. Then sponge the paint on or you can just use the decal. View attachment 219947
The ones you got have all the details. Hope they make it on time.

That's so cool, man, thank you! Looking forward to checking them out!

I love where the build is going! Here’s a picture of my original Spyder 5 that I’ve had since new when I was young. Keep up the good work. Can’t wait to see it done!

Attachments

• 4FFDAEC9-5195-4DB7-BE3E-889CE2C246EE.jpeg
    4FFDAEC9-5195-4DB7-BE3E-889CE2C246EE.jpeg
    542.4 KB · Views: 0
Great job on the tool. My next one will be made with the biggest set of vice-grips I can find. More leverage I think. I've used mine with no heat and it's easier with heat but not mandatory. YRMV. Also, I like where your going, classic muscle. Simple fade paint from the head tube back always looks good with a coat of Dupilcolor EFFEX.

Great job on the tool. My next one will be made with the biggest set of vice-grips I can find. More leverage I think. I've used mine with no heat and it's easier with heat but not mandatory. YRMV. Also, I like where your going, classic muscle. Simple fade paint from the head tube back always looks good with a coat of Dupilcolor EFFEX.
More leverage would definitely help. I think the problem I'm having is the areas I need to dimple are close to the braces on the seat stays which is making it easier to bend the outside of the tubing rather than the inside, so more heat on the inside might help I think. I didn't heat it that much the other day.

Flip the bike over and reach in grom the bottom... Won't matter where the stays are then.

Pondo, you've got some great ideas here! Fade on a muscle bike is always cool, and a little flake will take it to another level. I like the red seat and grips, et al. If you really want the Metalcast paint to pop, use a chrome paint first after your primer, as the Metalcast is translucent and needs a bright undercoat to give it that shine. Red and yellow would give you an orange where the fade starts and ends!

RaT oN~!

I did pick up some paint last weekend. Spray paint has gotten pretty pricey! The weather is not cooperating for painting but we need the rain so it's all good. I'll see what progress I can make this weekend.

We’re drenched down here. Are you getting snow?

I’ve got parts to paint here and there, which means I have to do it in the garage, which I hate. But whatever it takes to get them done!
It's been mostly rain so far, the snow line has been pretty high. It's supposed to come down to 4500' or so but then go back up again. There's potential for 10-12" of rain by Saturday and more maybe next week. So pretty wet. I'm going to have to figure out how to get some building and painting done in the next few days if possible.

It turns out we're getting a flood year here. Back to back storms for the last several weeks in addition to work and life in general has prevented me from making any progress. We're not literally flooded out of our homes here like in some parts of the state, just very very wet. I'll bring this build back in the 'builds' section or maybe a future build-off if that is permissible. With more time I'd like to add a front brake and maybe some rear gears and a shifter. I'm a little bummed that I didn't get to finish this one this time though I'm glad we're coming out of the drought. But wow, crazy weather.

Latest posts

Back