Check out these $150 shipped Fatbike frames!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all, new here, I read somewhere that these frames won't fit a 4" wide tire. Has anyone had a chance to test fit one and confirm that? If I can get a decent 3.8/4.0 tire in one of these frames I'm pretty sure I'll be the proud owner of one soon.

Woodi, you'll enjoy the RRB forums...anyhow, like I said in the PM, I mocked up my Devist8ors in the frame and the tread nubs make contact....I'd imagine a 3.8" tire w/ a non-aggressive tread would work. I'll be running 3.5" Captiv8ors though.

Another tire that *MIGHT* work would be the 26x4 Felt Zig Zag tire, but they're EXPENSIVE and I don't think they're worth the price.

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/201...Tubes/Zig-Zag-Fat-Cruiser-Tire-All-Black.aspx

P1140575-27-600x450.jpg

Hmmm, sounds pretty tight, what size rim did you have the devsit8er on? I was able to get a hold of a guy trying to sell one locally who said a 4.0 vee8 on a 2.5" rim fit but not on a 3.5" rim. I was hoping to build it up for snow use for my wife so if I can get it to go with a 65mm (2.5") rim I just might do it. I'm riding an old pugs with 65mm rims on snow now and find that it works just fine.

so has anyone else got one of these yet?

My wheelset's should be here next week....so far all I'm waiting on now is to figure out what gear's I want to put on my rear wheel (I have NO IDEA how to figure that out), and my cranks are enroute....I already put an FSA Platimum DH bottom bracket in it and I got a new take-off cranks of an Origin8 Crawler (I already have a crawler)..

I'm trying to put this bike together with quality parts as economically as I can.

(Excuse the mess in my garage...I've been changing the waterpump on my wife's car and it's been a nightmare being an internal water pump)

My wheelsets arrived so I went over to my LBS to get them (Big Shell Bikes in Port Aransas). Those are 80mm wheels from a Sun Crusher with Origin8 hubs in them. I got a crankset off of an Origin8 Cralwer (same as my fatbike)that has a 32 tooth crank on it, so I still gotta figure out how I want to gear it (primarily for cruising and as a loaner bike to friends/family that want to go for a ride with us); and I need to get tires (I've decided on the Origin8 120tpi Captiv8rs (not going to use my Devist8rs because of clearance issues); and I've gotta get front/rear disc brakes (going with Avid BB7's), cables, derailleur, shifter, and a seat post/seat and I'tl roll I think....
f168ac4b6103c51733c8dafabf0b037f.jpg
21833fbdbe5cba0eee53447f7bba969a.jpg
c0e183c0d950479942e70f0624492143.jpg

Last edited:
Looks Great! What tire are you going to run on the rear?

I'm going to run the 3.5" Captiv8rs (120tpi) front & rear....I havn't picked them up yet (LBS just emailed me that they came in today) and I got bored so I mounted my spare Devist8or tires on the wheels to mock it up.

That's a TIGHT fit in the rear!!!

I'm going to use a threaded bolt to hold the chain stays at the dropouts and use a jack to get me another 1/8" of clearance on each side fore sure.
6fb454a7efdb6007ced6ee8d3220253d.jpg
75521fa5e3bc2b4e4e06943e50c049c0.jpg
59338c5a94b2af05dc3862f0a3bd6196.jpg

Careful.... that's an aluminum frame. I've seen folks crack aluminum frames trying to spread the stays, even just a little bit...:13::43::20:

I bet a solid rear axle and a 2mm spacer on the drive side would allow the chain to clear frame on the small cog. Putting the wheel in would be a little tricky, but not too bad.

That's good thinking there, Blown240. Good to see you here.

Here's the "rub" that these frames have.

I'm thinking that the dropouts weren't mounted in the jig properly because I have significantly less tire clearance on the lower chainstay on the non-drive side than on the drive side.
33b4faccac58396713c4f8383ec336d0.jpg
f0e55fa943bf3388e75f9f78fb5ab329.jpg
1921b03199083b9c76f456d6cef8c489.jpg

Granted that gear would be the least used gear, but I'm tempted to either put a 2mm shim in there or use my grinder with a flap disc and sand a channel in the frame.

I ended up getting a SRAM X7 type 2.1 dérailleur, SRAM X9 trigger shifter, and a SRAM PG1050 12-27 cassette with a KMC X10.93 chain

I also scored an AVID Elixir 9 front brake setup with 203mm rotor from Amazon Warehouse Deals for 80 bux, it was missing the rotor screws and lever clamp, but I think I came out alright.

How thick is the rear dropout? You may want to do a shim before you grind a channel in the frame.

Only issue I can see withh a shim is stressing the frame, but I don't think 2mm would be too bad.

I ended up using a small scissor jack to spread the rear chainstay's so that I've got a full 1/8th inch clearance on each side of the tire..

just took the bike for it's maiden voyage and it's FAST.....I think it'll be perfect for what it's intended purpose is....which is for friends/family to borrow to go for rides with us as well as my wife to ride when we go for longer than just a few mile cruises around the neighborhood.

the Avid XO trail front hydraulic brakes are NICE.....like...actually....GREAT.

all I need now is a rear 140mm disc and a caliper..

Latest posts

Back