Checkered Rims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomb had brought this up in another post http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=180

A friend of mine did checkered rims on this bike
100_1753.jpg

I think he just painted one color, covered the rim with tape, marked and cut out the squares with an exacto knife then painted the other color.
A slow tedius process with this many squares.

nice! love the fighterplane look.
slow and tedious aren't the words... :) But thats kinda what i figured.

I haven't found an easier way. Although I must say instead of measuring out like 1" squares I just used the spokes holes for the template. That way they come out even all the time, if you look at the Electra wheels they don't come out even and that would bug me. Troy

If I did it I would;

(1) Use the Spoke's as a Guide
(2) Paint The Lighter color as a "Base Color"
(3) Go to the Scrap Booking section at "Michaels Craft Center"
and buy stickers about the size of Postage Stamps.

I would make shure they are "Low Tack" or Removable.

A Guy could even find Little Square Vinyl Magnets at a Craft Store.
( like those one's that have a million letters you can write
different stuff on you fridge door )

and then they would be easy to position / move / and Remove.
I would put a Clear Coat on the whole rim after to Rid the edges
where the Paint Color Transition is around every little Square.

that's the Brainstorming I came up with when I first
saw That style done ..

peace,
Kev.

I like skirts...

The pop rivieted skirts are sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet as well... :shock:

what about going to your local vinyl decal shop and have them print out the cheacker design and let them apply it on th rim for you. ofcourse you would hove to remove the spokes and hub but i belive that it would be much easier than taping off individual squares

Randy, looks like ur buddy does just as good of work as you, I still love your john deere bike :) Can you really cut grass with it?

i know this is super old but thought people who stumble on this might like this instructable on painting a bike and it covers checkers too which seems to be a good time saving solution to doing checkers.

VonMoldy said:
i know this is super old but thought people who stumble on this might like this instructable on painting a bike and it covers checkers too which seems to be a good time saving solution to doing checkers.

Linkage?

do a search for "VINTAGE BMX PARTS" and I'm positive you will find checkered tape that they used to sell in the 80's

Back